Windows 10: Windows 7 can't sync its time with NTP server running on a Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Windows 7 can't sync its time with NTP server running on a Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running an NTP server on a Windows 10 PC using the instructions at https://www.interfacett.com/blogs/creating-standalone-ntp-server-windows/. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jorabi1, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Jorabi1 Win User

Windows 7 can't sync its time with NTP server running on a Windows 10 PC

I am running an NTP server on a Windows 10 PC using the instructions at https://www.interfacett.com/blogs/creating-standalone-ntp-server-windows/. The w32tm query output on the server looks correct and shows the server is configured (see below), and the W32time service is running.

-----------------------------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>w32tm /query /configuration

[Configuration]

EventLogFlags: 2 (Local)
    AnnounceFlags: 10 (Local)
    TimeJumpAuditOffset: 28800 (Local)
    MinPollInterval: 10 (Local)
    MaxPollInterval: 15 (Local)
    MaxNegPhaseCorrection: 54000 (Local)
    MaxPosPhaseCorrection: 54000 (Local)
    MaxAllowedPhaseOffset: 1 (Local)
    FrequencyCorrectRate: 4 (Local)
    PollAdjustFactor: 5 (Local)
    LargePhaseOffset: 50000000 (Local)
    SpikeWatchPeriod: 900 (Local)
    LocalClockDispersion: 10 (Local)
    HoldPeriod: 5 (Local)
    PhaseCorrectRate: 1 (Local)
    UpdateInterval: 360000 (Local)

[TimeProviders]

NtpClient (Local)
    DllName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\w32time.dll (Local)
    Enabled: 1 (Local)

InputProvider: 1 (Local)
    AllowNonstandardModeCombinations: 1 (Local)
    ResolvePeerBackoffMinutes: 15 (Local)
    ResolvePeerBackoffMaxTimes: 7 (Local)
    CompatibilityFlags: 2147483648 (Local)
    EventLogFlags: 1 (Local)
    LargeSampleSkew: 3 (Local)
    SpecialPollInterval: 32768 (Local)
    Type: NTP (Local)
    NtpServer: pool.ntp.org,0x9 (Local)

NtpServer (Local)
    DllName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\w32time.dll (Local)
    Enabled: 1 (Local)
    InputProvider: 0 (Local)
    AllowNonstandardModeCombinations: 1 (Local)

-----------------------------------------------------

But I cannot set the time on other PCs using that as the Internet time server, not by name nor ip address. The client can ping the server by name or ip address fine. There are no firewalls involved; the clients and server are connected to the same router. When trying to synchronize, they get "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with xxxxx. This operation returned because the timeout period expired." Tried restarting server and service.

Has anyone tried this and gotten it to work?

:)

Jorabi1, Oct 7, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 7, 2018
  4. AMDCam Win User

NTP Help

Hi guys, I know this is not the site for bull**** networking but you've been the most reliable tech site I've ever been on for any computer stuff. So I've got a question about a network. I'm with the Marines, and we're running secure networks branching off from everywhere. I mean I'm in Japan right now. But we're trying to sync our hardware (Cisco devices, switches and routers) to NTP. I created a test setup with a router, easy as pie to sync that, but it was a direct connection from the router to our linksys gateway directly to the ISP. But in the real setup, we pull NTP data on every piece of hardware I set up to sync...we just don't sync. "Show NTP associations" shows full reach, stratum 3 servers all working perfect but our offsets are off (I'd love to know what the numbers for offset mean), but show ntp status shows no synchronization, not even a hint that it realizes it's got a working NTP server to pull off of. NTP is supposed to be an easy setup, but for over a month now myself and everyone I know have tried everything from our end to get a sync and we got nothing. Maybe it's not close enough to the NTP time, so we set the time and timezone a billion times, nothing there. I'm assuming since we can pull data from NTP servers, the port's gotta be open right? If it's impossible to sync because somewhere along the way a firewall is blocking it's UDP port, that's totally cool, then I'll have an excuse as to why we're gonna have to manually set clocks. But the fact that it pulls information (diagnostics at least, ping, offset, freq, stratum) I feel like we should be able to pull time, we just can't for some reason. If you guys have any idea what I can do please let me know. Thank you

AMDCam, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 can't sync its time with NTP server running on a Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - can't sync NTP

2. Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10: I'm trying to synchronize my Windows 10 22H2 workstation with our local NTP server.I already synced another Linux device and I got <1ms offset: nvidia@nvidia-orin-rt:~$ ntpdate -q 10.1.2.3 server 10.1.2.3, stratum 3, offset -0.000023, delay 0.02728 27 Jul 07:54:47...
  3. Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10: I'm trying to synchronize my Windows 10 22H2 workstation with our local NTP server.I already synced another Linux device and I got <1ms offset: nvidia@nvidia-orin-rt:~$ ntpdate -q 10.1.2.3 server 10.1.2.3, stratum 3, offset -0.000023, delay 0.02728 27 Jul 07:54:47...
  4. Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot sync time with any NTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot sync time with any NTP server: Hello,I'm getting this error each time I'm trying to synchronize my laptop clock with an NTP server:C:\Windows\System32>w32tm /resync Sending resync command to local computer The computer did not resync because no time data was available.I've tried out each and every solution...
  6. Cannot sync time with any NTP server

Cannot sync time with any NTP server: Hello,I'm getting this error each time I'm trying to synchronize my laptop clock with an NTP server:C:\Windows\System32>w32tm /resync Sending resync command to local computer The computer did not resync because no time data was available.I've tried out each and every solution...
  7. ntp server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ntp server: HiAll our client PCs are syncronizing time with the domain controller.Problem is I have changed the time provider on the controller, and the client PCs are currently 4min behind the domain controller.How to I force all clients to sync now remotely as I do not have phyical...
  8. ntp server

ntp server: HiAll our client PCs are syncronizing time with the domain controller.Problem is I have changed the time provider on the controller, and the client PCs are currently 4min behind the domain controller.How to I force all clients to sync now remotely as I do not have phyical...
  9. Time Sync: How To config standalone windows non domain to use a ntp server?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time Sync: How To config standalone windows non domain to use a ntp server?: Hello. I can only find information on how to setup time sync on a domain controller or on a domain joined pc. However I can not find information on how to configure a standalone non domain joined nor domain controller Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012R2-2019 to connect to...
  10. Windows time not updating from local NTP server

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows time not updating from local NTP server: Hi, I have an issue with my current Windows 10 machines Windows 10 version 18363.592 not updating times from a local NTP server on my network. I've set Windows to synchronise with an internet time server my local time server running on a fixed IP address 192.168.0.19, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows time cant sync

2. windows 10 cant sync ntp

3. windows 7 show ntp server

4. windows 10 cant sync with NTP server