Windows 10: Windows 7 DVD-ROM on Windows 10

Discus and support Windows 7 DVD-ROM on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have "The Complete National Geographic" Every issue since 1988 -- through 2008 that I bought years ago of course!. I'm trying to play it, but my HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Malcolm Gibson1, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Windows 7 DVD-ROM on Windows 10

I have "The Complete National Geographic" Every issue since 1988 -- through 2008 that I bought years ago of course!. I'm trying to play it, but my HP computer has Windows 10. It won't load or play. Is there a way to do that? Or is this useless. I'd hate to lose it? Thanks for any help. And, yes, I'm not a techie, as you can see. And, yes, I'm old! 79. Hope someone can help the old guy!! Cheers, Malcolm

:)

Malcolm Gibson1, Jun 27, 2022

2. Windows 7 DVD ROM issue!

HP dv 9728, AMD Turion 64 x 2, NVIDIA nForce 560, DDR2 RAM.

Hello,
    I have a hp dv9000 series laptop. I recently installed Windows 7. After installing my dvd/rom is not detected in device manager or under the "my computer" listing. Under the device manager I clicked on the "show all devices" tab andd still no dvd/rom. I did install some free dvd buring software called "Phantom". This DID detect my "e" drive under device manager and my computer.
    In the device manager it said i was missing a coprocessor driver. In the my computer it would not recognize that I had a disc and would ask me to insert one. Seeing that this "phantom" software was getting me nowhere I uninstalled it. I have installed drivers from Nvidia. my video card is Nividia nforce 560 series. I have looked on the hp website and discovered that this product series will not be supported by HP for the DV9000 series in regards to Windows 7.
    Mechanically the drive does work!
    Drivers have been updated, uninstalled, blah blah blah! This appears to be a common problem but after searching the 'net for hours and trying various suggestions there has been no cure - YET! I installed the Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista.
    The DVD ROM worked perfectly while Vista was installed.
    Thank you in advance.

autigerfan, Jun 27, 2022
  3. Windows 7 DVD ROM issue!

The link that Arctucas recommended confirmed that hp would not be supporting win 7 on this laptop series.

I went to NVIDIA and the only updates for my mo/bo were audio drivers which I could not install.
    Ran windows "fix it" and it told me what I already knew-it could not detect the cd/dvd device.
    In the BIOS the dvd rom was not showing, only the 411 for the mo/bo. Also did safe mode, and the dvd rom was not detected either.

Some one suggested a few things which I tried:

1.to uninstall the ATA channel 0 and ATA channel 1 drivers. did that, still nothing.

2. went to microsoft website and tried to delete the upper and lower filters in the registry but
    that option was not there.

3. it was also suggested that I download and install a program called "CD GONE" which was apparently to fix the registry but after reading the readme file, the last update for this was 2001 so I just left that alone.

4. On a few files yesterday I ran compatability mode on a few file ex. a mouse driver update from HP that would work on Vista. I was able to get the .exe file to run and install using this mode.

On a quick side note, the other nite I was replaceing my touchpad/mouse. During this I did disconnect and reconnect the dvd rom drive. Hey the problem was already there so I thought it making sure it was connected properly would be a good idea.

autigerfan, Jun 27, 2022
  4. RLRehm Win User

Windows 7 DVD-ROM on Windows 10

Windows 7 Professional keeps dropping the DVD/CD drive

Working with a fresh install (2nd attempt) of Windows 7 Professional on new hardware. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Running 4G of RAM and an Intel Q9400 Quad Core CPU. The DVD/CD optical drive is a Pioneer DVR-218L.

Here's the problem - after two fresh installs, Windows 7 drops the DVD/CD drive and I get the following error in Device Manager (The device cannot start {code 10}). After the install, the drive works for a period of time, then stops working and I get the error code.

The driver appears to be a standard Windows driver (CD-ROM driver).

I've tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it in Device Manager but it does not work - I continue to get the device error.

I've also swapped out the DVD/CD drive to insure it's not a bad unit. Same problem with both drives.

What do you suggest for next steps?? Could it be an issue with the motherboard?? A driver problem?

I visited the Pioneer web site - could not find any help or additional Windows 7 drivers.

What now??

RLRehm, Jun 27, 2022
Thema:

Windows 7 DVD-ROM on Windows 10

1. Windows 7 DVD-ROM on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - DVD ROM

2. CD-Rom / DVD Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD-Rom / DVD Driver: Hey! So the last time my cdrom / dvd driver was updated was 06/21/2006. I have upgraded from windows 7 on a lenovo AIO ThinkCentre so updating it through lenovo's site is worthless, since they don't update from 7 to 10. How do I update it? Device manager is basically...
  3. CD-Rom / DVD Driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD-Rom / DVD Driver: Hey! So the last time my cdrom / dvd driver was updated was 06/21/2006. I have upgraded from windows 7 on a lenovo AIO ThinkCentre so updating it through lenovo's site is worthless, since they don't update from 7 to 10. How do I update it? Device manager is basically...
  4. CD-Rom / DVD Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...: Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do the upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-home-is-installed-a-win11-pro-dvd-is-bought/8f7a385f-83b3-46de-86a7-92aa653fb2d0
  6. Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...

Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do...: Win11 Home is installed, A Win11 Pro DVD is bought, I do not have a DVD rom, how can I do the upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-home-is-installed-a-win11-pro-dvd-is-bought/8f7a385f-83b3-46de-86a7-92aa653fb2d0
  7. Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC: Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-buy-an-external-dvd-cd-rom-for-a-hp-s01/08972ef9-3217-421c-93fb-8ad9f417475e
  8. Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC

Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC: Can I buy an external DVD/ CD Rom for a HP S01-aF2023w Slim Desktop PC Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-buy-an-external-dvd-cd-rom-for-a-hp-s01/08972ef9-3217-421c-93fb-8ad9f417475e
  9. Windows 10 22H2 has issues with GTC2N slim dvd rom

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 22H2 has issues with GTC2N slim dvd rom: Hello,I have a HP Eliitedesk 800 G1 tower that runs Windows 10 22H2, Windows 10 22H2 is fully up to date, I am having the following issue with GTC2N find that windows 10 cannot find the CD Rom it is not listed in explorer, have removed the 2 entries from Device manger but...
  10. Windows 10 22H2 has issues with GTC2N slim dvd rom

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 22H2 has issues with GTC2N slim dvd rom: Hello,I have a HP Eliitedesk 800 G1 tower that runs Windows 10 22H2, Windows 10 22H2 is fully up to date, I am having the following issue with GTC2N find that windows 10 cannot find the CD Rom it is not listed in explorer, have removed the 2 entries from Device manger but...