Windows 10: Windows 7 End of Life recommendations – What next!?

Discus and support Windows 7 End of Life recommendations – What next!? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The day has arrived, and today Microsoft ends Windows 7 support. Microsoft has already pushed a bunch of last updates, and they are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jan 14, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

Windows 7 End of Life recommendations – What next!?

WinClub, Jan 14, 2020

2. Problem with Windows 7 Starter - and networking

What Exactly I Need To Do ????

I have windows 7 starter.
    and Buffalo NAS
    I tried everything recommended on this thread and others on the internet.
    But nothing has worked.

Anybody who has got it working! PLEASE step by step instructions.

ercanmetin, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Catomic Win User
    A Windows 7 machine hosting a Windows 10 virtual machine after the Windows 7 end of life

QUESTION

Short Statement

How much of a protection against Windows 7's zero-day vulnerability after its 'end of life' (scheduled for January 2020) would I get if I

• host a Windows 10 virtual machine in a Windows 7 physical machine and
    • 'confine' Internet activities to the VM?

Long Statement

If you can answer the question as above, you don't have to read what's below. I provide it for those who prefer to consider a concrete situation.

The hypothetical setup is as follows.

1. Install to the physical machine only the following: Windows 7, all of its security updates (released by 'end of life'), device drivers (and whatever else is needed to 'run' the machine), and a version of VMware Workstation.
    2. Create a W10 VM.
    3. When I turn on the physical machine, I don't do anything with it except to turn on the VM. I only 'use' the VM. If I have to install any program I do it to the VM. If I have to use the Internet, I do it in the VM.
    4. There is no other machine in the LAN.

Of course I realize that 3 above does not exactly 'confine all internet activities' to the VM because the traffic must go through the physical machine. The more correct thing to say might be that my doodling will be confined.

An ideal answer might be in the following form.

• Break down the zero-day vulnerability to its major components.
    • Say which of those components the setup above will be good against (i.e. as good as simply installing and using W10 on the physical machine).
    • Say which of the risk components the setup will be helpless against.

Another way to conceptualize the question would be say: Where between the following will the setup land me?

• Full vulnerability of using W7 after 'end of life' and
    • the full protection of using W10.

I don't mean that W10 will give me 'full' protection. I just mean 100% of the protection of switching to W10, however great or small that may be.

I gave VMware Workstation, only for concreteness. If this is not the best choice, please mention what may be.

BACKGROUND

I am providing the following realistic situation for those who like to know 'where the question is coming from.' You don't have to read it if you don't need it.

I have been lazy and done nothing about the looming end of life, and now am really up against it. Unfortunately my W7 machine has got a lot of tweaking to it, and it would take a long time to replicate that in a new W10 machine (not like I have no other responsibilities in life).

As a stopgap, therefore, I want to set up a W10 VM and start doing at least the obviously 'dangerous' things there, e.g. going online, installing new software. I would continue to use the W7 for 'safe' things, e.g. playing music on software after disabling updates and otherwise doing what I could to keep it within firewall (obviously I don't mean that it's really safe) until I have managed to create a W10 system for the physical machine or decided that I would switch to Linux and keep W10 to a VM.

Realistically, there will be other machines in LAN.

Thanks very much!

Catomic, Jan 14, 2020
  4. hellrazor Win User

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 7 End of Life recommendations – What next!? - Similar Threads - End Life recommendations

2. What is the end of life date of LGPO 3.0.200413001?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the end of life date of LGPO 3.0.200413001?: What is the end of life or end of support date of LGPO 3.0.200413001? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-end-of-life-date-of-lgpo-30200413001/034b609a-0f2f-4ed0-95a2-d9b81636a14a
  3. What is the end of life date of LGPO 3.0.200413001?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the end of life date of LGPO 3.0.200413001?: What is the end of life or end of support date of LGPO 3.0.200413001? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-end-of-life-date-of-lgpo-30200413001/034b609a-0f2f-4ed0-95a2-d9b81636a14a
  4. What is the end of life date of LGPO 3.0.200413001?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows 7 and 8.1 support ends next month

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 7 and 8.1 support ends next month: Microsoft plans to end support for Windows 7 and 8.1 on January 10, 2022. The devices won't receive updates anymore after end of support and some programs, like Chrome or Microsoft Edge, won't receive updates anymore either immediately after support end. Some users may...
  6. windows end life update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows end life update: I'm wondering as I can't update my Lenovo T460 ThinkPad to windows 11 as it "has" a not-supported GPU. Will a new Windows 11 update make It so any GPU's an updated or will I have to wait until Windows 10 is not supported to update to Windows 11 or witch ever windows is out to...
  7. windows end life update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows end life update: I'm wondering as I can't update my Lenovo T460 ThinkPad to windows 11 as it "has" a not-supported GPU. Will a new Windows 11 update make It so any GPU's an updated or will I have to wait until Windows 10 is not supported to update to Windows 11 or witch ever windows is out to...
  8. Windows 10 END OF LIFE?!?!?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 END OF LIFE?!?!?: Microsoft, I'm panicking right now! What will happen after Windows 10 ends support? Help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-end-of-life/0942ce0d-3863-475a-9453-28684e466c60
  9. The risks of staying with Windows 7 after End Of Life

in Windows 10 News
    The risks of staying with Windows 7 after End Of Life: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 7 was released way back in 2009, but there are still around 30% of users globally who still use this operating system. Windows 7 is one of the most successful OS from Microsoft, and it doesn’t surprise anyone why [...] This post The risks of staying...
  10. Windows 10 end of life

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 end of life: how come windows 10 support is being ended in 2025 it was only 10 years https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-end-of-life/cc09aec8-fe4e-478a-b34a-8f9661a4d1fe