Windows 10: Windows 7 Image backup stuck on removed HDD

Discus and support Windows 7 Image backup stuck on removed HDD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Trying to do a system image using the Windows 7 backup function on a Windows 10 (1909) machine. When it opens it is stuck showing a drive that is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Joro, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Joro Win User

Windows 7 Image backup stuck on removed HDD

Trying to do a system image using the Windows 7 backup function on a Windows 10 (1909) machine. When it opens it is stuck showing a drive that is no longer in the system. When I open the option to search for another drive, it searched 4 hours before I closed it. It won't let me change the drive to put the new backup on.
    How can I get it to let me find a drive that is currently on the system?

:)

Joro, Dec 2, 2019

2. Windows 7 Backup Image Question

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of the Windows 7 backup image can help me out. I make regular, monthly backup images of my harddrive and last night I messed something up with an AVG update. I updated, was having problems with CPU usage after the update and I tried a system restore to the previous day to fix things. Well this did not fix it. So I was forced to use the backup image.

This was my first time doing so, so I wasn't entirely sure on how to do it, but it was actually pretty darn easy. I've got the computer back up and running like it used to. Have my old AVG version back and no more high CPU usage. I've run ccleaner to fix any registry errors there might be, everything is checking out just fine.

Here's my question though. At the beginning of the process, there is an option to "format the PC's hard drive and repartition disks to match the layout of the system image." This is unchecked by default and I left it unchecked. A friend of mine suggests that I redo the process and reformat. Is this necessary for my situation? I could see maybe if I had a bad virus or something of that nature. Could I have messed up the registry by not formatting? Thanks guys.

lwgnlseven, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Windows 7 Image

Good question... Dunno if Win 7 will think it's been installed on another PC because of a different HDD and ask to be activated...?

Sasqui, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Windows 7 Image backup stuck on removed HDD

Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Windows 7 Image backup stuck on removed HDD :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Windows 7 Image backup stuck on removed HDD :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 7 Image backup stuck on removed HDD

1. Windows 7 Image backup stuck on removed HDD - Similar Threads - Image backup stuck

2. if I make a system image backup on Windows 7 Ultimate and restore it on Windows 7...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    if I make a system image backup on Windows 7 Ultimate and restore it on Windows 7...: just wanted to try out something and was curious on whether this would work. i wanna reinstall windows on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-make-a-system-image-backup-on-windows-7/eea8e3bf-f22b-4f83-b623-3df79dde994e
  3. if I make a system image backup on Windows 7 Ultimate and restore it on Windows 7...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    if I make a system image backup on Windows 7 Ultimate and restore it on Windows 7...: just wanted to try out something and was curious on whether this would work. i wanna reinstall windows on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-make-a-system-image-backup-on-windows-7/eea8e3bf-f22b-4f83-b623-3df79dde994e
  4. Can't create system image using Windows 7 backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create system image using Windows 7 backup: Can I still use a system image from Backup Windows 7 even when it "encounters a problem"? I have tried multiple times and keep getting the same error - that it "encounters a problem" with specific folders. I've tried deleting those folders one of them doesn't even show up in...
  5. Can't create system image using Windows 7 backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't create system image using Windows 7 backup: Can I still use a system image from Backup Windows 7 even when it "encounters a problem"? I have tried multiple times and keep getting the same error - that it "encounters a problem" with specific folders. I've tried deleting those folders one of them doesn't even show up in...
  6. remove windows image backup to another location

remove windows image backup to another location: Hello i have ASUS G731 GV .It has two drives.An ssd and an hdd.I have cretaed a windows image backup to hdd.I am thinking to copy paste to an extrenal usb stick.My question is if one will be accessible after tranferation.Can i restore it or...
  7. Image backup in Windows dual boot PC (7/10)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image backup in Windows dual boot PC (7/10)?: I have tended over the years to use Windows' own image backup, which I have found no less reliable than any 3rd. party software I have used (like Macrium). I use Windows 7 far more often than 10 on my dual boot PC, but gradually that is changing... unfortunately. Still much...
  8. Windows 10 Backup System Image Stuck at 97%

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Backup System Image Stuck at 97%: I will make this as Short N' Sweet as possible. I like using the words, "Short N' Sweet". Anyways, for the past well-over 4 hours, creating a system image/windows backup has been stuck at 97% and I'm told it's natural to wait this prolonged amount of time. Although the backup...
  9. Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD

Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD: Hello, I try to restore a windows 7 image from an external HDD. The image was made just before migrating to W10. However, because the update deinstalled all programms I have to go back to W7 temporary to recover my Key for Office. allthough MS probably want me to buy a...
  10. how to remove partitions from backup hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to remove partitions from backup hdd: I want to clear the partitions from a 1 tb backup drive I tried deleting the partitions by formatting them but it only removed the files in the partitions and the partitions are still there. see pic below How can I remove the 4 partitions so I can use the hdd to clone a...