Windows 10: Windows 7 key invalid for Windows 10 setup.

Discus and support Windows 7 key invalid for Windows 10 setup. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and activated the key, then i installed all of the latest updates. I then downloaded the media creation tool... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hevyy, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Hevyy Win User

Windows 7 key invalid for Windows 10 setup.

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and activated the key, then i installed all of the latest updates. I then downloaded the media creation tool x64 to install windows 10 and when I get to the key activation my key doesn't work. I heard a lot of people were having this problem but I just want to know if there is a solution that anyone knows.

:)

Hevyy, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Ike_943 Win User

Windows 7 key not valid for Windows 10 upgrade

I have a product key for Windows 7. I installed Windows 7 and tried to upgrade to 10, however I'm getting an error saying the product key is invalid.

Ike_943, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Cos_ Win User
    Do I need to install updates to Windows 7 sp1 prior to upgrading to windows 10?

Hi Thanks for tip about Windows 10 clean install using windows 7 product key. Not sure this works with OEM versions of Windows 7. With OEM, you need to do a telephone activation as key comes up as invalid (has for me anyway). With Win 10 DVD I made
    in Nov, if key comes up invalid it does not let you proceed. When I tried a seven key months ago and it would not activate, I called Windows 10 support and they said I had to purchase a product key for 10.

4. bobkn Win User

The free Win 10 upgrade must be installed as an upgrade over an installed, and activated, copy of Win 7 or 8. I believe that you also have to use the default, which is "keep everything".

It needs no key, and you won't receive one for 10.

The Win 10 installer will not accept a Win 7 or 8 key.

After you have done the upgrade once, you can use the free version to clean install and activate Win 10 again on the same hardware. The clean install will ask for a key, but you can skip entering one, and the resulting installation will activate.

bobkn, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Hevyy Win User
    I actually phrased my comment wrong. I forgot to activate my windows 7 after I installed it and the windows 10 setup said I needed to enter the key for my windows 7 copy. I entered it and it said it was invalid. I then closed the windows 10 installer and entered the key in windows activator and it verified my copy and that's as far as I've gotten. Should the upgrade work now?

Hevyy, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Do you have Windows 7 SP1 installed? It's required for an upgrade.

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  7. AEM
    aem Win User
    Make sure your Windows 7 is activated, and check for Windows Updates. I think in order to get the Windows 10 updates your system needs to be up to speed with the Updates.

I had to reserve my Windows 10 first (icon come up on bottom right), then constantly do Windows Updates.

Thema:

1. Windows 7 key invalid for Windows 10 setup. - Similar Threads - key invalid setup

2. Windows 7 product key invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 product key invalid: Hello, I have a purchased copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.I am the only one who bought, opened and used the installation disks, which is a pack of the 32 bit and 64 bit disks.My system was originally installed with 32 bit Windows 7 because when I got it used, it had a failed...
  3. Windows 7 product key invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 product key invalid: Hello, I have a purchased copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.I am the only one who bought, opened and used the installation disks, which is a pack of the 32 bit and 64 bit disks.My system was originally installed with 32 bit Windows 7 because when I got it used, it had a failed...
  4. Invalid product key Win 7 PRO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid product key Win 7 PRO: A few years ago after purchasing Win 7 Pro. When it came time to activate it. I called they gave me a product key that I am using now not the product key that came with the CD I have been using it installed on the same computer for at least five years. Now I am getting...
  5. Invalid product key Win 7 PRO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid product key Win 7 PRO: A few years ago after purchasing Win 7 Pro. When it came time to activate it. I called they gave me a product key that I am using now not the product key that came with the CD I have been using it installed on the same computer for at least five years. Now I am getting...
  6. Setup for upgrading window 7 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setup for upgrading window 7 to windows 10: [ATTACH]i can't any options like yes,no to choose.and in second time i can't see options of with key or i don't have key.please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setup-for-upgrading-window-7-to-windows-10/123cb1b4-5919-4505-b046-7f3d4ca077a0
  7. Windows Key is invalid?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Key is invalid?: Some time back I purchased a copy of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I was planning on assembling a new, faster pc . Well, I finally got around to assembling the new box and the validation routine is telling me another pc has that key. What do I do now? Who can I call? Ralph...
  8. Windows 10 Key suddenly invalid

Windows 10 Key suddenly invalid: Hey, after upgrading my Pc Parts yesterday,i just got the Windows Activation msg. If i want to activate my Windows with the same Key i get the Error code 0xc004c003. After i click the Button for troubleshooting i get the msg that my key is Invalid. I've installed the...
  9. Asus S410un Invalid Windows 10 Key?

Asus S410un Invalid Windows 10 Key?: I purchased this laptop from amazon about a week ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNDWC6Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It arrived two days ago but I was only able to first try it out yesterday. It was working completely fine and I was able to...
  10. Upgrading from windows 7 is invalid.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from windows 7 is invalid.: I am using Windows 7 (64) Ultimate. I downloaded windows 10. I put it onto a DVD. If I boot from the DVD it asks for product key. The only one I have is for windows 7. This is invalid. If I run DVD after windows 7 has started up. The only one I have is for windows 7. This...