Windows 10: Windows 7 Laptop with SSD - Transfer to new Desktop win Windows 10

Discus and support Windows 7 Laptop with SSD - Transfer to new Desktop win Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi There! Here is my scenario: -I have a HP Laptop with Windows 7 Professional installed, in addition to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. - I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dabutter90, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Windows 7 Laptop with SSD - Transfer to new Desktop win Windows 10

Hi There!

Here is my scenario:

-I have a HP Laptop with Windows 7 Professional installed, in addition to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD.
    - I just purchased an Hp 8200 SFF Desktop with Windows 10 and a 2tb HDD

I have purchased the proper mount to install the SSD in the desktop, an have a SATA cable for potential data transfer. My question is, what is the best way to setup my SSD as the main drive on the new desktop while keeping my current configuration? In addition, how do I set up the 2tb hard drive ONLY for storage.

*Note - I cannot install Windows 10 in my laptop because my graphics card does not support it.

Thanks in advance!

Hardware

New Desktop - HP Elite 8200 SFF High Performance Business Desktop Computer (Intel Quad Core i7 up to 3.8GHz Processor), 2TB HDD, 16GB DDR3 Memory, DVD RW, Windows 10 Professional

Laptop (Spec File Attached)

HP Elitebook 8560p

:)

dabutter90, Dec 21, 2016

2. Swapping Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with Windows 10 Home

Only the laptop running Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from Windows 7 Professional has transfer rights in this case. Because the desktop originally came preinstalled with an OEM version of Windows 8, it has no transfer rights.

So, your option would be to restore the original preinstalled Windows license that came with the laptop before it was upgraded to Windows 7 Professional; if you want the right to transfer the Windows 10 Pro to the desktop.

Resources:

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

Andre Da Costa, Dec 21, 2016
  3. File transfer

I would like to transfer the files from my windows 7 desktop to my new windows 10 laptop

I understand that windows easy transfer is not available on windows 10

BrianWCompton, Dec 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 7 Laptop with SSD - Transfer to new Desktop win Windows 10

Hi, there's a whole range of issues here.
    Key question; are both machines 64 bits for example?

Some thoughts.
    Desktop
    1. You can reinstall Win 10 freely on your desktop after swapping to the SSD.
    2. When you put the SSD in your desktop, you should enable AHCI in your BIOS. I'd wipe the SSD before putting it in your desktop.
    AHCI vs IDE - Difference and Comparison | Diffen
    3. You would then install Win 10 to your SSD (I'd take out the existing drive for simplicity).

Transferring your installed programs etc from Win 7 to 10. (I assume that's what you mean by 'keeping your current configuration').
    1. Some programs may not be compatible.
    2. You can't do this if your laptop is 32 bits, and your desktop 64 bits.
    3. If they are both 64 bits and you have enough programs installed to make it worthwhile, explore Laplink products. I would recommend using the product which uses disk imaging, so you can create a disk image of your laptop as a backup.
    4. Data transfer is relatively easy, of course. But if you have an email client, you will want to give that special consideration. There may be other examples.

There's a lot more detail to consider. I'm sure you'll get quite a lot of comment.

Note: here I've assumed a clean install of Win 10. There's another approach where you simply transfer an OS intact to different hardware and the drivers are replaced as appropriate - in disk imaging terms 'restore to dissimilar hardware'. I've never tried this, so can't comment, and there could well be license implications I don't know about.

dalchina, Dec 21, 2016
  5. Thanks. In terms of physically installing the SSD. Should I simply unplug the HDD and plug in the SSD? And then boot up?

dabutter90, Dec 21, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. It should be straightforward you simple clone the drive to the new one most OEMs offer a cloning tool to do this if you can use any free clone tool it should take care of size difference on its own. Once cloned remove the old drive and boot SSD try it for a couple of days to make sure it's all working and you have the old one safe if there were any problems. Once happy you can add the other drive and format it or repartition depending on your needs

Samuria, Dec 21, 2016
  7. But I don't want to clone the HDD to the SSD? I want to setup the SSD to run the OS and change the HDD (on new desktop) to a storage device....

dabutter90, Dec 21, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Is the laptop legacy BIOS or UEFI? The new desktop is more than likely UEFI. If the laptop is legacy BIOS you will have problems moving the OS from the laptop to the desktop.

Is the laptop SATA controller operating in IDE mode? If it is, and the desktop is running in AHCI mode like it should be, you will have problems moving the OS from the laptop to the desktop.

The easiest method to overcome all potential incompatibilities would be to install the SSD in the desktop first as the second drive, not the primary drive. Leave the HDD and DVD drive connected where they are and connect the SSD to a higher numbered SATA port. Make an image of the SSD with Macrium Reflect Free installed on the Windows 10 on the desktop and save the image to the HDD.

Disconnect the HDD, leave it disconnected, move the SSD to the primary drive position (lowest numbered SATA port), boot the computer from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD, erase the SSD and install a fresh Windows 10 to it. After the installation is done and the OS is running from the SSD, reconnect the HDD to the higher numbered SATA port. Then we can talk about partitioning and/or wiping the HDD for secondary storage.

NavyLCDR, Dec 22, 2016
  9. Samuria Win User
    You say But I don't want to clone the HDD to the SSD? I want to setup the SSD to run the OS and change the HDD (on new desktop) to a storage device....

but you asked My question is, what is the best way to setup my SSD as the main drive on the new desktop while keeping my current configuration? In addition, how do I set up the 2tb hard drive ONLY for storage.

If you dont clone it then you have to do a clean install of the o/s on the ssd drive its one or the other

Samuria, Dec 22, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I believe the OP wants to keep and transfer everything he has on the old laptop to the new computer.

NavyLCDR, Dec 22, 2016
  11. Samuria Win User
    Confussing as he says what is the best way to setup my SSD as the main drive on the new desktop while keeping my current configuration? I am assuming he want to keep win10 and put it on the ssd for the desktop in which case its clone or clean install?

Samuria, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 Laptop with SSD - Transfer to new Desktop win Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Laptop SSD Transfer

2. Transferred Windows to new SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferred Windows to new SSD: So I have 2 HDD and a new M.2 and I used one for years for Windows but I just got the M.2 and transferred windows 10 to it. All my hard drives are working but I cant figure out how to access any of my programs like Chrome and my old pictures. How do access them with out...
  3. Windows 10 transfer to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 transfer to a new SSD: I have a old HDD that has windows 10 and I have got a whole new pc but that is the only piece I brought over from my old set up to keep windows 10, I purchased a SSD and heard that I have if I have my windows 10 connected to my Microsoft account there was a way to transfer...
  4. Transfering SSD with Windows 10 to new PC

Transfering SSD with Windows 10 to new PC: My Hp Probook 470 G4 recently stopped working. I would be able to easily take out the m.2 drive. Now I'd like to ask if it's possible to transfer the drive with the data on it into a new system. I read that the license wouldn't transfer. Would I be able to just buy another...
  5. transfer windows to new ssd drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer windows to new ssd drive: I know all the hard ways to buy a new drive and jury rig my windows 10 to the new drive, etc... But what is the official way, the Microsoft way to take everything on DRIVEC OLD and move it to the new and faster DRIVEC NEW? I've used disk mirroring software and then windows...
  6. Transferring windows 10 education to a new ssd

Transferring windows 10 education to a new ssd: I received a free windows 10 education key from the college I go to for personal/school use. I used said key to activate a copy of windows 10 on my home computer, I recently bought a faster ssd and want to switch my OS to the new ssd. The issue is that I am unable to log in...
  7. Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop

Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop: I have a laptop with a 2.5 inch 128gb SSD. This SSD has windows 10 on it along with a number of other programs, files, etc. I would like to take the SSD out of my laptop and install it in my desktop, which already has its own SSD in it with windows 10 installed. So my...
  8. How to transfer windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 desktop with ethernet?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to transfer windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 desktop with ethernet?: How to transfer windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 desktop with ethernet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-windows-7-desktop-to-windows-10/9e700447-6bee-4f3f-936e-4bfab856b90b
  9. Transfer Win 7 Network settings to new Win 10 PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer Win 7 Network settings to new Win 10 PC: Hi, I have a hard-wired network but the main combined PC/Server is past its best. Have bought a new PC with Windows 10 and wonder if I can transfer my Network settings from the old Win 7 PC so communication protocols between the PC's will be seamless - or do I have to reset...
  10. Transfer SSD to new laptop

Transfer SSD to new laptop: My laptop is on its last legs and needs replacing. But it has a good SSD with Windows 10 and lots of data on it which I want to keep. Can I buy a new laptop with no HDD or OS and transfer my existing SSD complete with OS straight into it? Am I allowed to transfer my existing...