Windows 10: Windows 7 laptops

Discus and support Windows 7 laptops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Did you upgrade a LAPTOP designed for Windows 7 to Windows 10? It doesn't matter if it had been upgraded to 8 first, as long as it is designed from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vince Massi, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Windows 7 laptops

Did you upgrade a LAPTOP designed for Windows 7 to Windows 10? It doesn't matter if it had been upgraded to 8 first, as long as it is designed from the ground up for 7. How did it go? Is performance worse or better? What kind of problems have you had?

Thank you.

:)

Vince Massi, Apr 13, 2016
  2. mbc320 Win User

Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC.

I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way.

Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Desktop is OK.

Win 7 Desktop to Win 10 Laptop is NO GO.

I do not know whether it is a Win 10 Laptop or a Win 7 Desktop problem. All use the same Homegroup. I am the only user; there are no other accounts on any of the machines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

mbc320, Apr 13, 2016
  3. I have multiple windows 7 Laptops (5 or 6) can I reserve 1 copy and use it for alls?

I have multiple computers, do I have to download Windows 10 on each computer?

You can download a .ISO file and upgrade each computer offline. The ISO should be available by the time Windows 10 launches.

How
    to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Please note, you might have to download the appropriate edition of Windows 10 for the version/edition of Windows you are upgrading. If you upgrade to the wrong edition, ie. Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro, you will have to purchase a license
    for Windows 10 Pro or
    go back
    to Windows 7 Home Premium and upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

What
    are the editions of Windows 10 available?

Andre Da Costa, Apr 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 7 laptops

I've upgraded a netbook that originally came with Windows XP to Windows 10. Works just fine. I have found that the older the hardware is, the bigger the improvement in performance I have seen - as long as all the hardware has drivers for it that will work with Windows 10.

Acer Aspire One (XP-Based) Laptop specs

I also put a cheap $50 SSD in it as well.

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    I went from 8.1 tp 10. I am not impressed. I hardly use that system now because I like my 7 or 8.1 systems a lot better. Performance was not an issue because all my systems run on SSDs.

6. What? Few people are upgrading Win 7 laptops to 10? I knew there were problems upgrading them to Windows 8.

Vince Massi, Apr 13, 2016
  7. RWOne Win User
    Mine is a HP DV7, never had vista on it because I went right to 7 with it, and then 10. No issues at all.

RWOne, Apr 13, 2016
  8. Windows 7 laptops

Very rarely will there be any issues, provided you have the right hardware with driver support. Most well-known brands, like Dell, HP, etc use internal parts from major brands, like Intel, Nvidia, Realtek, etc. Some times, people claim to have an issue, but they really just didn't bother looking for the right driver. Assuming the system has enough memory, anything that runs Windows 7 should run Windows 10 just fine. Usually, the hard drive is the slowest, weakest link in the performance chain, so swapping it out for an SSD can easily breathe new life in the an old laptop.

DeaconFrost, Apr 13, 2016
  9. Mooly Win User
    When you say 'upgraded', do you mean W7 > in place upgrade to W8 > in place upgrade to W10 or do you simply mean putting W10 onto a W7 (designed for) laptop.

Well I tried both routes on a Dell Vostro 3750 i5 designed for and supplied with W7 pro. Initially with the pre release versions of W10, and the upgrade route was a disaster. Unusable.

A totally clean install of W10 onto an HDD (actually a SSD) that was taken down to 'unallocated space' first (so like a new unused drive) was as troublefree and fast as you could ever wish for. Having done that I'm very impressed by W10. Its far and away quicker than W7 (or even W8.1) ever was. I did buy W8.1 and clean installed that using it for around 18 months. That was good but the experience ultimately ruined by all the constant MS updates and having to be one step ahead all the time to avoid installing any that were W10 related.

W10, performance has been excellent in every way. Problems, nil.

Mooly, Apr 14, 2016
  10. RWOne Win User
    Well said, and spot on.

I've always said, consider the number of laptops on the planet, and the wide array of configurations available. MS did an outstanding job when you consider how many of those systems upgraded with no issues at all, and as Deacon said, the others may not have know how to resolve a simple driver issue. (My DV7 is on fast ring, currently I use an older video driver to get my native screen resolution, and mouse to get full touchpad capabilities)

RWOne, Apr 14, 2016
  11. I have noticed that most posts concern updating Win 7 desktops.

When I wrote on the Acer forums, we had a lot of problems updating laptops from 7 to 8. It appears from various posts, along with this thread, that Win 7 laptops UAUALOLY upgrade to 10 with little or no problem.

Vince Massi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 7 laptops

1. Windows 7 laptops - Similar Threads - laptops

2. After installing the recent update, the laptop screen started flickering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing the recent update, the laptop screen started flickering: I'm currently in a Windows Insider Preview using an ASUS TUF Gaming A17 FA706II/FX706II. Now, the laptop's monitor is now flickering. Despite contacting customer support and doing the troubleshooting steps, none have worked; screen is still flickering. According to the agent,...
  3. After installing the recent update, the laptop screen started flickering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After installing the recent update, the laptop screen started flickering: I'm currently in a Windows Insider Preview using an ASUS TUF Gaming A17 FA706II/FX706II. Now, the laptop's monitor is now flickering. Despite contacting customer support and doing the troubleshooting steps, none have worked; screen is still flickering. According to the agent,...
  4. laptop bluesrceen when i unplug my wired mouse how to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop bluesrceen when i unplug my wired mouse how to fix?: my laptop goes bluescreen when i unplug my mouse https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-bluesrceen-when-i-unplug-my-wired-mouse-how/566f25ea-c957-4cf4-a26a-74b38c0b1b68
  5. laptop bluesrceen when i unplug my wired mouse how to fix?

laptop bluesrceen when i unplug my wired mouse how to fix?: my laptop goes bluescreen when i unplug my mouse https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-bluesrceen-when-i-unplug-my-wired-mouse-how/566f25ea-c957-4cf4-a26a-74b38c0b1b68
  6. why is my laptop not picking up my phone. when i have it connected threw hdmi? how can i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my laptop not picking up my phone. when i have it connected threw hdmi? how can i...: why is my laptop not picking up my phone. when i have it connected threw hdmi? how can i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-laptop-not-picking-up-my-phone-when-i/98b971c4-a2ef-41be-aecf-953e0f859b9f
  7. why is my laptop not picking up my phone. when i have it connected threw hdmi? how can i...

why is my laptop not picking up my phone. when i have it connected threw hdmi? how can i...: why is my laptop not picking up my phone. when i have it connected threw hdmi? how can i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-laptop-not-picking-up-my-phone-when-i/98b971c4-a2ef-41be-aecf-953e0f859b9f
  8. Laptops freezes for a couple of minutes before starting up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptops freezes for a couple of minutes before starting up.: When I power up my laptop, it initially shows a blank screen for a few minutes before the Windows login screen appears. Occasionally, I have to hold down the power button to restart it, after which it works perfectly fine...
  9. Laptops freezes for a couple of minutes before starting up.

Laptops freezes for a couple of minutes before starting up.: When I power up my laptop, it initially shows a blank screen for a few minutes before the Windows login screen appears. Occasionally, I have to hold down the power button to restart it, after which it works perfectly fine...
  10. How to factory reset laptop without bitlocker recovery key?

How to factory reset laptop without bitlocker recovery key?: Hello,I'm lock out of using my laptop by bitlocker recovery key. Unfortunately my Microsoft account got disconnected from my laptop and my bitlocker recovery key is no longer accessible through it. I have most of my hings stored therefore the biggest issue is to be able to...