Windows 10: Windows 7 machine died, so I put the hard drive in an enclosure, but it won't let me access...

Discus and support Windows 7 machine died, so I put the hard drive in an enclosure, but it won't let me access... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My windows 7 laptop died today, so I decided to put the hard drive into an enclosure and connected it to a windows 10 laptop. What I was hoping to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by seann_cali, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Windows 7 machine died, so I put the hard drive in an enclosure, but it won't let me access...

My windows 7 laptop died today, so I decided to put the hard drive into an enclosure and connected it to a windows 10 laptop.

What I was hoping to do to is to use the windows 7 hard drive and its OS as a standalone OS on top of the windows 10.

I recall being able to do this with windows xp and windows vista, when my windows xp laptop died and the hard drive in an enclosure was connected to windows vista laptop.

is this possible with windows 7 hard drive in enclosure connected to windows 10 laptop?

Can I run the application on the windows 7 hard drive as if it's running the windows 7 off the hard drive in the enclosure connected to the windows 10 laptop?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I don't know where to put this question, so I'm choosing windows 10, windows update, recovery and backup section.

:)

seann_cali, Mar 21, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Hard Drive Enclosure

Hi Comeback, you should be able to access those files if you put that hard drive into an external enclosure . . .

When you connect that drive, does Windows actually see the drive - can you see it in File Explorer?

Open Disc Management (accessible by right clicking your Start Button

Do you see that drive listed there?

DaveM121, Mar 21, 2019
  3. Hard Drive Enclosure

Hello. Is it possible to access files from a hard drive from an old laptop onto my new laptop the same you can access files using a flash drive? Not sure how else I can put it, but I have a hard drive from an old laptop that is inside a hard drive enclosure.
    I have the enclosure connected to my laptop via usb, but I am not seeing an option to access that hard drive. How can I access the hard drive that's connected to the usb hard drive enclosure?

Comeback Noob, Mar 21, 2019
  4. Windows 7 machine died, so I put the hard drive in an enclosure, but it won't let me access...

Hard Drive Enclosure

I do not see it in File Explorer. In Disc Management, I see the following:

Disc 0, Partition 1

Disc 0, Partition 4

I don't know which one the enclosed hard drive is

Comeback Noob, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows 7 machine died, so I put the hard drive in an enclosure, but it won't let me access...

1. Windows 7 machine died, so I put the hard drive in an enclosure, but it won't let me access... - Similar Threads - machine died put

2. My hard drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive will not let me access it: So I have a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive and it will not let me access it. I will try to click on it and then it will crash my file explorer and also my taskbar will disappear for a minute at most. I have also tried going into the properties of it but it won't let me do a...
  3. My hard drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hard drive will not let me access it: So I have a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive and it will not let me access it. I will try to click on it and then it will crash my file explorer and also my taskbar will disappear for a minute at most. I have also tried going into the properties of it but it won't let me do a...
  4. external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it: So, this has been going for roughly 3 days now, but for some reason, my external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it. Whenever I actually try clicking on the drive on file explorer, the error code is never consistent: sometimes it'll tell me...
  5. Ticketmaster won't let me access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ticketmaster won't let me access: I am trying to print my ticket but I received this message ; "Pardon the InterruptionAs you were browsing something about your browser made us think you were a bot. There are a few reasons this might happen:You're a power user moving through this website with super-human...
  6. Ticketmaster won't let me access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ticketmaster won't let me access: I am trying to print my ticket but I received this message ; "Pardon the InterruptionAs you were browsing something about your browser made us think you were a bot. There are a few reasons this might happen:You're a power user moving through this website with super-human...
  7. Ticketmaster won't let me access

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. Drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive will not let me access it: Hi, One of my hard drives on my computer all of a sudden will not let me access it. Labeled as my F drive. I click on it and it gives message of Working on it and just will not open to show files. I eventually have to X out of it. I have run some checks and it states...
  9. my internal hard-drive won't let me write on it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my internal hard-drive won't let me write on it: I was updating a game on my computer when an error message came up telling me that i could write on my D:/ drive and that i could only read off of it. The drive, and windows are saying that their is no problem and the writing permissions are turned on in the security tab in...
  10. External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External enclosure won't accept different hard drives: Hello, so to better understand my problem, I recently bought an HDD external enclosure for a hard drive that has some old family memories on it. I hooked it up, closed it and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop. My anti-virus scanned for problems, and there were no problems...