Windows 10: Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end

Discus and support Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Security Essentials will receive security definition updates after Windows 7 support ends despite Microsoft's earlier claims stating the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 19, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end

Microsoft Security Essentials will receive security definition updates after Windows 7 support ends despite Microsoft's earlier claims stating the contrary.

Earlier this week, Microsoft stated in no uncertain terms that the company's security software Microsoft Security Essentials would not receive any more updates after Windows 7's support end on January 14, 2020.

Microsoft answered the question whether Microsoft Security Essentials could be used to protect computers after end of support:

No, your Windows 7 computer is not protected by MSE after January 14, 2020. MSE is unique to Windows 7 and follows the same lifecycle dates for support.

Woody Leonhard questioned whether Microsoft would indeed retire the application in its entirety even for customers who paid Microsoft for Extended Security Updates. Businesses and Enterprise customers may extend support that Windows 7 receives by up to three years by paying Microsoft per device or user (a bypass for non-businesses systems was found recently).

Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end microsoft-security-essentials-660x462.jpg

Would Microsoft really disable Microsoft Security Essentials on these devices despite the fact that these companies and organizations pay Microsoft for extended support? Turns out, no, that is not what Microsoft wants to do.

The company modified the answer on the FAQ page so that it now reads:

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) will continue to receive signature updates after January 14, 2020. However, the MSE platform will no longer be updated.

The most likely explanation that I have for this is that Microsoft meant software updates all long when it mentioned that MSE would not be supported anymore and that it had no intention of disabling the release of new security definitions.

I think that Microsoft will continue to push definition updates to all Windows 7 devices that run Microsoft Security Essentials. It is the sane thing to do considering that a huge number of Home systems and unsupported systems in organizations still run the operating system.

If you look back at how Microsoft handled definition updates when it retired Windows XP and Windows Vista, you will notice that support was extended and not cut off at the time the operating systems ran out of support.

As far as Microsoft Security Essentials software updates are concerned, those won't be released anymore. It is possible, however, that Microsoft will push out updates if a serious security issue is detected in the application.

It would not be the first time that Microsoft would release a security update for an unsupported operating system. The company released an update for Windows XP back in 2017, two years after end of support, that protected systems against WannaCry attacks.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 19, 2019
  2. Ṣmeed Win User

End of Support for Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7: January 14, 2020

Will Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) continue to protect my computer after the end of support?

No, your Windows 7 computer is not protected by MSE after January 14, 2020. MSE is unique to Windows 7 and follows the same lifecycle dates for support. Learn
    more about MSE

Source:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4527878/faq-about-extended-security-updates-for-windows-7

Also:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020

================================================================================

Suggest reading everything here:
    Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

especially:

Pinned until 12/25

Ṣmeed, Dec 19, 2019
  3. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Dec 19, 2019
  4. Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end

Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 after 2020

When support for Windows 7 Home Premium ends in early 2020, will Microsoft Security Essentials still provide security. If not, will Microsoft provide another security system to replace MSE. Thanks.

FIVEVICTOR, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end

1. Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end - Similar Threads - Microsoft Security Essentials

2. Microsoft Security Essentials Definitions update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Security Essentials Definitions update: Hi! I've been trying to make MSE work on windows 7 sp1 but it pops up an error. I have tried resolving this with windows advisors and advocates but it didnt work out. It used to work before but seems to be a server issue. How to make it work?...
  3. security essentials support for windows 7

security essentials support for windows 7: i run windows 7 i understand support stopped in jan ..ok why did i get a prompt to down load windows security essentials today ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/security-essentials-support-for-windows-7/e316f72b-ca3b-4e1e-8d9d-bd9e2bc8f3e6
  4. Is not there a definition to Microsoft Security Essential ?

Is not there a definition to Microsoft Security Essential ?: Hello From yesterday and up to now I have worked to update the program Microsoft security essential antivirus and it its background never becomes green and still red ... really I hated this way of internet it is anyway bad in Iraq, but although the internet is bad, I can...
  5. Security Essentials Update for Windows 7

Security Essentials Update for Windows 7: I received notification of an update today 1/30 for Security Essentials that says it was published yesterday. I haven't downloaded or installed it yet because I thought support had ended for Windows 7 and I am concerned this is not genuine. Is Microsoft still putting updates...
  6. Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials support ends on January 14, 2020

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials support ends on January 14, 2020: Windows 7 Home users who protect their systems with the security software Microsoft Security Essentials will soon have to find a different product to protect their devices as Microsoft won't support the software anymore after support for the operating system ends. Microsoft...
  7. End of Support for Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7: January 14, 2020

End of Support for Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7: January 14, 2020: Will Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) continue to protect my computer after the end of support? No, your Windows 7 computer is not protected by MSE after January 14, 2020. MSE is unique to Windows 7 and follows the same lifecycle dates for support. Learn more about MSE....
  8. Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7

Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7: For past week, the program has changed, every time it detects something a panel pops up up saying no action needed has been cleaned, but then MSE turns itself off computer slows down and it says computer needs to restart to complete cleaning, do that and then MSE is still...
  9. When will Microsoft Security Essentials virus defintion support end?

When will Microsoft Security Essentials virus defintion support end?: I am running Windows 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). I know support for Win 7 ends Jan 2020 but will the virus definitions for MSE continue to be updated beyond this date or do I need to replace MSE with something else?...
  10. Microsoft Security Essentials not auto-updating definitions by itself although setting...

Microsoft Security Essentials not auto-updating definitions by itself although setting...: How to fix this problem? I know it doesn't update itself although it keeps saying the date it last updated is quite recent. Every time I open MSE and update, then only it starts to perform the updating or I usually get it in Windows update every time. How to fix this problem?...