Windows 10: Windows 7 or Windows 10 on low-spec netbook?

Discus and support Windows 7 or Windows 10 on low-spec netbook? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I have to reinstall OS on low-spec netbook. Should I stay with Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) or update to Windows 10 (update & make clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by strusmig, Sep 18, 2015.

1. strusmig Win User

Windows 7 or Windows 10 on low-spec netbook?

Hi!
    I have to reinstall OS on low-spec netbook.

Should I stay with Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) or update to Windows 10 (update & make clean install)? Any performance improvements?

• Acer Aspire One AO722
    • Processor: AMD Fusion APU C-60 (1 GHz and up to 1.33 GHz, dual core)
    • RAM: 2 GB
    • Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6290
    • Hard Drive: Seagate ST320LT020 (320 GB)
    • Screen resolution: 1366x768

Netbook is used for web browsing, movies and Office (Word, Excel).

Thank you in advance for any advices.

:)

strusmig, Sep 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 fried my processor

Amd 6 core processor

No its not low spec

Gamer48493, Sep 18, 2015
  3. dumpc6_00 Win User
    why this partiality for INDIA Nokia C6-00

@jraduga:

This is LOW SPEC Windows 7 or Windows 10 on low-spec netbook? :)

Nokia is High SPEC. Windows 7 or Windows 10 on low-spec netbook? :p

Do nokia know what is Higher Resolution than 640x360 ever for symbian.

Don't tell about Windows Phone its a Handicapped one!

No SD card.

LOW phone memory.

only left with WP is stylish.

for Rs12,999/- Nokia can't Give this kind of SPEC.

with HDMI o/p and 720P playback and recording.

dumpc6_00, Sep 18, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I'm liking Windows 10 much better on low spec netbooks, including the Acer Aspire One. I think it performs much better than Windows 8 did.

NavyLCDR, Sep 18, 2015
  5. dogpark Win User
    I would say yes. See my thread How to make Win10 lean & mean on older PC
    Some very good advice from Nus & AveYo on how to improve performance. Just upgraded last night to WinX & my PC does run faster.
    *Smile

dogpark, Sep 18, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    Hi and welcome to the forum*Smile

If you make a complete image of your existing system then you don't have anything to lose with trying it out. Everyone's experience will be different due to the unique combination of hardware and software configurations on any given device.

The upgrade is free. You can go back to your old Win7 any time you like by using the full system image you will have created. If you have never done an image before, then I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free. (And don't forget to make one of their bootable rescue disks to access your image just in case the Windows 10 installation makes your system un-useable)

I definitely recommend giving it a spin and then making an informed judgement based purely upon your own personal experience of how it works on your device, using your hardware, and with your installed software.

Good luck!! *Wink

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Win10 has a tighter more optimized kernel. That means it will yield more free RAM. It's also more optimized on other areas too. If your modest laptop can run w7 it will probably run w10 even better.

I have installed w10 on some Acer netbooks with just 1GB RAM and it ran quite well when compared to w7 that it would be choking on low memory even after restarting.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 18, 2015
  8. strusmig Win User

OK, so I just updated this machine to Windows 10 and I retrieve product key by this tool.

I had a valid Windows 7 install on my laptop. I upgraded through this link: Windows 10

The key thats currently used I googled and found it's a generic activation key, not unique to my device and not the Windows 7 key.

Is this normal? How to do a clean install of Windows 10 now?

strusmig, Sep 19, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    Yes this is normal and to be expected. The Win7 key is not valid for your Win10 upgrade. The identifier for Windows 10 is now linked to your device and hardware configuration. The identifier is stored as a hardware hash on the Microsoft servers. A product key is no longer required for your upgrade or for any subsequent Win10 clean install on the same device. A clean install will fail if the Win10 upgrade has not been successfully activated first.

The instructions for performing a clean install is in the first tutorial below. The second tutorial provides instructions on how to create the Windows 10 USB installation media
    How to Clean Install Windows 10
    How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

WhyMe, Sep 19, 2015
  10. strusmig Win User
    Thank you all for your help. Everything works like a charm *Smile

strusmig, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 or Windows 10 on low-spec netbook? - Similar Threads - low spec netbook

2. Factory reset Asus Netbook with Windows 7 Starter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory reset Asus Netbook with Windows 7 Starter: I found an old Asus netbook with Windows 7 Starter, and I don't remember my password. I don't use it anymore, so I would like to do a factory reset and then give the netbook to someone who might enjoy it. I have tried rebooting it into recovery mode, but it is still requiring...
  3. Factory reset Asus Netbook with Windows 7 Starter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory reset Asus Netbook with Windows 7 Starter: I found an old Asus netbook with Windows 7 Starter, and I don't remember my password. I don't use it anymore, so I would like to do a factory reset and then give the netbook to someone who might enjoy it. I have tried rebooting it into recovery mode, but it is still requiring...
  4. These are my specs, currently running windows 7, are these specs good enough for windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    These are my specs, currently running windows 7, are these specs good enough for windows 10?: Would it benefit me or would it slow the computer down if I upgraded to windows 10, as it runs okay on windows 7 Processor ProcessorAMD Athlon(tm) II X2 B24 ProcessorManufacturer AMD Speed 3 GHz Number of Cores 2 CPU ID 178BFBFF00100F62 MemoryRAM 8.0 GB Storage: 512gb...
  5. Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop, it's probably around 5 years old now, and is running Windows 7 Pro Service pack 1. I really like the laptop so don't want to buy a new one unless i really need to. I use the laptop for regular tasks, including using Windows Office...
  6. Windows 10 update to 1903 scrambled HP AMD low spec laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update to 1903 scrambled HP AMD low spec laptop.: Can I keep 1809 which works very well when updates are available? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-to-1903-scrambled-hp-amd-low/76bafb53-fbbd-494f-b832-6a74e1d03ef0
  7. Low-spec free steam games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low-spec free steam games?: I have a really low end Acer laptop, and am looking for some free steam games that it would run ok. here are my specs: CPU: AMD E1-7010 Dual-Core 1.5 GHz Graphics: AMD Radeon R2 Graphics RAM: 4GB DDR3 Thanks a lot 100157
  8. windows 7 starter netbook

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 7 starter netbook: spec below, will it take W10? THE SPECS Pricing Part Number NP-N110-KA01US Processor Processor type Intel Atom N270 Processor speed 1600.0 MHz Display Display size 10.1 inches Resolution 1024 x 600 pixels External Monitor Interface Integrated Vertical...
  9. Running Windows 10 on low spec systems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running Windows 10 on low spec systems: Anyone running 10 on a low spec machine? ( eg. Core 2 processors, and pre Windows 7 compliant) I'm keen to know how the performance keeps up after a few days, weeks etc. 11038
  10. Windows 10 TP on my Netbook

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 TP on my Netbook: Netbook: Samsung N145 Plus, Atom N455 2 GB RAM 64-bit It works beyond perfect, shame Metro apps still can't run on 1024x600 resolution, given they can run on separate windows *Sad Edit: The search function doesn't work (blank window) while in my desktop vrtual machine it...