Windows 10: Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 upgrade deletes registry entries

Discus and support Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 upgrade deletes registry entries in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello folks. In advance, I really haven't lost my marbles. Here's the deal. The org for which I work runs an application on a couple of thousand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JustRay, Sep 17, 2015.

1. JustRay Win User

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 upgrade deletes registry entries

Hello folks.
    In advance, I really haven't lost my marbles.
    Here's the deal.
    The org for which I work runs an application on a couple of thousand pcs.
    This application, when installed creates the following registry entry.
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{8F14C130-6E0E-11d4-93BB-00010238B174}

The above registry entry is present before starting the Windows 10 upgrade.

After the Windows 10 upgrade has completed, and before starting our application, the above registry entry is gone.

I expects some rather odd things (which except for this issue) have not materialized.
    But I didn't expect this registry entry “thang”.

I'm practicing this in a lab so I can re-run things as many time as necessary until we figure out how to get it right.

An ideas why that registry entry would go "south" ?

Is there a upgrade log or something that is created during the Windows 10 upgrade that, a mere mortal like myself, might be able to read and make sense of ?
    Maybe there could be a clue in the log file.

Weird.
    Really weird.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

in Wisconsin

:)

JustRay, Sep 17, 2015

2. aregistry corrupted by upgrade

If you had read my posts you should be able to see that this is a new upgrade.

There were no issues with Windows 7 Pro before the upgrade to Windows 10. The registry could be searched and modified where needed.

I have seen posts from other people who also were unable to search the registry.

I took it one step further and found the one file that is a problem. I need to be able to modify that registry entry to enable a search of the registry without it locking up.

StevenLovan, Sep 17, 2015
  3. How to clean Windows 10 Notification apps list?

Thanks DaveM121,

I tried your file, but it didn't clean app list. when I reboot system, all apps are still in the list.

I opened your file, it just delete 2 registry entries, IconStreams and PastIconsStream, but in my Windows 10 system, there is only IconStreams. I think PastIconsStream is a registry entry in Windows 7, not in Windows 10.

Ivan_Cooper, Sep 17, 2015
  4. JustRay Win User

AND ..........

If I roll back Windows 10, to Windows 7, the missing registry entry is once again present after the roll back completes.

It appears then, as if MS, is doing something (making an attempt to clean things up ?) with the registry during the Windows 10 upgrade.

The WindowsUpdate.log, is pretty cryptic.
    So, it hasn't been much help to me in my efforts to figure out what is occuring and more importantly, figuring out how to prevent the Windows 10 upgrade from deleting entries from the registry.

Ideas ?

Thanks *Smile

JustRay, Sep 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 upgrade deletes registry entries - Similar Threads - Pro upgrade deletes

2. Registry entries deleted By erroneously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entries deleted By erroneously: I deleted Yellow and red Color Entries in autorun sysinternals Now in my laptop wifi Bluetooth keyboard touched HDD not working, device manager shows error code 32, events shows that device deleted. Please Help...
  3. Registry entries deleted By erroneously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entries deleted By erroneously: I deleted Yellow and red Color Entries in autorun sysinternals Now in my laptop wifi Bluetooth keyboard touched HDD not working, device manager shows error code 32, events shows that device deleted. Please Help...
  4. windows 7 pro upgrade to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 7 pro upgrade to 10: im trying to upgrade my pc from windows 7 pro to windows 10 and i have tried the online windows download and it will not allow me to choose the OS version i want and it will not allow me to save to a flashdrive...
  5. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: I recently used the msi tool to update a windows 7 pro machine to windows 10 pro. It appears to have a activated the install just fine and is working? Is this install legal?...
  6. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade: I want to upgrade a Windows 7 PC which by the requirements is upgradable to Windows 10 Pro. I went to the Microsoft Store and the only option is to Download WIndows 10 Pro. My Windows 7 PC really requires a clean install. Does Windows 10 Pro give me the option to format...
  7. Upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: I have a computer that I am attempting to upgrade to Windows 10. It is currently Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have attempted to use the Media Creation Tool to do this as I have done probably a 100 times at time point and I am not able to upgrade without erasing all the settings...
  8. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: Have tried several suggestions on upgrade of windows 7 Pro. Still get same error message: This PC cannot be upgraded to to Windows 10. PC is not yet supported for this version of windows 10...........
  9. Upgrade of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: Get thew following error: This PC cannot be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC is not supported yet on this version of Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-of-windows-7-pro-to-windows-10-pro/558d9872-9d50-4dfe-9592-3c549d64ff50
  10. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: We are experiencing a strange issue with domain joined workstations when upgrading them to Windows 10. When running setup.exe or setupprep.exe from the install DVD/ISO we get: "Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and trying running Windows 10 Setup...