Windows 10: Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck after 3 reboots

Discus and support Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck after 3 reboots in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've been trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Pro system to Windows 10 Pro. After downloading the upgrade tool (MediaCreationTool20H2) I try to "upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BostonDriver, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck after 3 reboots

Hi,

I've been trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Pro system to Windows 10 Pro. After downloading the upgrade tool (MediaCreationTool20H2) I try to "upgrade this PC" and keep all my data and apps. Anti-Virus (Norton) and firewall are disabled.

Things go smoothly, the system reboots a few times. After "Working on Updates" goes from 0% to 30% there is the 3rd reboot, then I'm back at "Working on Updates" and stuck at 30%. It will do this for 12 hours (the longest I waited).

If I power off, then reboot, things auto-magically restore back to Win 7. I've tried the above booting from USB Image, but no option to save files/apps. I run setup from the USB image and get to the same place.

I have access to the router which shows that no traffic is being sent to/from the Windows machine. In fact, there isn't even a DHCP lease for the MAC Address of the Ethernet Adapter anymore. From a network perspective, it doesn't look like the system is trying to get updates.

Other than keyboard and mouse, there are no other USB devices.

Any suggestions on what I can try?

Thanks!

:)

BostonDriver, Oct 23, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck after 3 reboots

windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck after 3 reboots

1. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck after 3 reboots - Similar Threads - Pro Upgrade Stuck

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 v2004 on a Surface Pro 3 stuck at 61%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 v2004 on a Surface Pro 3 stuck at 61%: Hello, I'm trying to upgrade a Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10 v2004 however the install stops at 61%. I've tried resetting Windows Update Services, the Troubleshooting tool. Does anyone know what is the cause? Regards, Quambie...
  3. Constant immediate reboots after Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade

Constant immediate reboots after Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade: I have a Windows 10 LTSB installation on a SSD I use for gaming (I actually bought a legit key to use this streamlined version of Windows 10), but my miss is attached to the Windows 7 installation I have on a Hitachi HDD. I'd like to upgrade it to Windows 10, but want to keep...
  4. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: I recently used the msi tool to update a windows 7 pro machine to windows 10 pro. It appears to have a activated the install just fine and is working? Is this install legal?...
  5. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Stuck

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Stuck: I am currently upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro on my main video editing system. Upon first forced restart, the “shutting down” screen has been going on for over an hour. Is this normal? How long should I expect this to last? Please advise. -Michael...
  6. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade: I want to upgrade a Windows 7 PC which by the requirements is upgradable to Windows 10 Pro. I went to the Microsoft Store and the only option is to Download WIndows 10 Pro. My Windows 7 PC really requires a clean install. Does Windows 10 Pro give me the option to format...
  7. Upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: I have a computer that I am attempting to upgrade to Windows 10. It is currently Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have attempted to use the Media Creation Tool to do this as I have done probably a 100 times at time point and I am not able to upgrade without erasing all the settings...
  8. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: Have tried several suggestions on upgrade of windows 7 Pro. Still get same error message: This PC cannot be upgraded to to Windows 10. PC is not yet supported for this version of windows 10...........
  9. Upgrade of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: Get thew following error: This PC cannot be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC is not supported yet on this version of Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-of-windows-7-pro-to-windows-10-pro/558d9872-9d50-4dfe-9592-3c549d64ff50
  10. Windows 10 reboot after upgrading from windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 reboot after upgrading from windows 7: I have strange issue only with 1 laptop, upgraded the windows from 7 to 10 pro, when it boot after few min it restarts , If I turn the network connection, reboot system before it restart itself, after next reboot after login turn the network enable . system work fine as...