Windows 10: Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade - SSD question

Discus and support Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade - SSD question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I am a member from sevenforums and this is me just getting going here on tenforums. My PC is a bit 'sick' at the moment. I run Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RedLad, Nov 9, 2018.

1. RedLad Win User

Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade - SSD question

Hi everyone,

I am a member from sevenforums and this is me just getting going here on tenforums.

My PC is a bit 'sick' at the moment. I run Windows 7 and people in work have suggested I just update to Windows 10. So it is a perfect time to do this I feel!

I wanted to ask a question about my current SSD. I currently have the Samsung SM841N in my PC.
    Would you recommend going ahead and performing the upgrade on this SSD or to buy a more up to date one like this:

Samsung 512 GB 860 Pro Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive,MZ-76P512B/EU: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Thanks Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade - SSD question :)

Paul

:)

RedLad, Nov 9, 2018
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Jizzler Win User
    Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

Very nice. Used the preview for awhile and like it so there's 3 Windows 7 computers here that'll go to 10 upon launch. Now the important question is when? I'd like it to coincide with some SSD upgrades.

Jizzler, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Static~Charge Win User

Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade - SSD question - Similar Threads - Upgrade SSD question

2. Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade - SSD question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade - SSD question: Hi everyone, I am a member from sevenforums and this is me just getting going here on tenforums. My PC is a bit 'sick' at the moment. I run Windows 7 and people in work have suggested I just update to Windows 10. So it is a perfect time to do this I feel! I wanted to ask a...
  3. SSD question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD question: Samsung Magician isn't Win 10 ready. Can I uninstall it? Will Win 10 properly manage my SSD without Magician? Sometimes my PC will not shut down. It powers off, but a few seconds later reboots. I suspect Magician and Windows incompatibility. Early reports of Win 10...
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Upgrade Question: Does anyone know yet if there will be a way to request a physical copy of Windows 10 if you are using the free upgrade? I would love to have a physical copy as a backup and would prefer an official copy of such to just putting it on a USB drive or using an ISO from somewhere...
  5. Upgrading 7 to 10 from HHD to SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading 7 to 10 from HHD to SSD: Okay, One of my systems currently has Windows 7 Home Premium that somewhere along the line I used it to play around with 10. Because when I go to the Windows upgrade site, it is recognized as a Windows 10 machine. Now, I am currently running on HHDs a couple of 4TB...
  6. Question about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - license

Question about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - license: Hello all I want to try Windows 10 and accept the free upgrade from Windows 7. If I find in a few months that I want to revert to Windows 7 permanently, is it ok to restore an old system image? I understand that I can only run a single instance of Windows on the one...
  7. Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on New SSD.

Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on New SSD.: Hi Guys, I have recently upgraded my laptop drive running Windows 7 Home Edition. I reserved windows 10 free upgrade, however I installed Windows 10 Insider preview using ISO. Before I did that I created Recovery image using Packard Bell software. Since then I have...
  8. Windows 7 to 10 Partition Question

Windows 7 to 10 Partition Question: So I have Windows 7 and have 2 partitions on my SSD/HD hybrid drive. I made C: and D: drives. The C: drive is for Windows and D: for everything else. My C: drive is 50 gb and says 10 gb left and D: is 881 gb with 849 gb left. My idea was to just let Windows have it's own...
  9. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Questions

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Questions: [img] Yesterday evening, I opened up my laptop and this notification appeared on my taskbar (circled in image). Apparently, the Windows 10 upgrade is now available for users of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 even though the release date hasn't been announced yet. For one thing, I...
  10. SSD upgrade and Memory compressed question

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD upgrade and Memory compressed question: Good Day, Managed to upgrade my wife's toshiba laptop to SSD. The unit has 4 Gbs of memory and when it is viewed in Task Manager is indicates the usage and some "compressed memory". I recall from the past that there is a memory setting somewhere but can no longer find it....