Windows 10: Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - Few Questions

Discus and support Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - Few Questions in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I'm a gamer and due to Windows 7 ended support a few months ago, I'm still at the point where I need to unfortunately install Windows 10 to keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Green_Carnage, May 3, 2020.

1. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - Few Questions

Hi,

I'm a gamer and due to Windows 7 ended support a few months ago, I'm still at the point where I need to unfortunately install Windows 10 to keep me secure and having support for a newer hardware.

I'm also planing on building a new PC in few months so I heard that I can just re-plug the Hard Drive into the new PC and it would re-detect the new hardware then I just re-install the drivers.

However, I have quite a few questions before I install Uncle Windows 10:

1) Can I use it without a licence and still receive Security updates ?

2) Does it turn off after 2 hours like Windows 7 when it's not activated ?

3) I have noticed that Windows 10 latest build is from November 2019, how long will it take me to fully update it with Security Updates from the time of a fresh installation ?

4) Can I change from "Update and Shut Down" to "Shut Down and Update" in order to Shut Down the PC first then when I turn it on again the next time it will start the update ?

5) How do I disable the whole telemetry crap ?

6) How to disable\prevent Microsoft from accessing my files stored locally on my PC ?

7) How to disable Windows 10 Keylogger, Cortana, adds and unecessary apps from the start menu ?

8) Is it safe to store confidential documents on the local Hard Drive or would you avoid doing this ?

9) Is it safe to use a Credit Card on the PC with Windows 10 ?

10) Which settings do you recommend on disabling ?

I'm asking all of the above questions (even tho some of them might sound dumb or silly) because there were multiple controversies with Windows 10 in regards to the privacy and what Microsoft can access and so on. I never used Windows 10 before but I think it's time to unfortunately install it as glorious Windows 7 is dead by now.

Thanks

submitted by /u/Green_Carnage
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Green_Carnage, May 3, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 3, 2020
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, May 3, 2020
  4. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - Few Questions

Windows 10 Snipping Tool on Windows 7

All it is is one extra step beyond what is native to windows 10. Yes, technically it would be easier to have the functionality of print built in to the Windows 7 version, but you just have to save it ,and right click on it ,and print.

As far as getting the windows 10 version into windows7. I know there was a way to get the old winpaint, so maybe there's a way to get the snipping tool into 10, I don't know.

im curious if i could compress, and upload the application to this post? 7zip doesnt seem to be allowed

jboydgolfer, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - Few Questions

1. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - Few Questions - Similar Threads - Migration Few Questions

2. windows 7 to windows 10 question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 7 to windows 10 question: I have an old AMD-FX system that had the Win7 'Pro' (retail version) upgraded to Windows-10 several years ago when Microsoft still provided the free upgrade. Only problem is: I never wrote down the new Win10 product key they gave me and my old Win7 installation CD only...
  3. a few Windows 10 questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    a few Windows 10 questions: Hi, I bought a Mini PC AWOW Desktop Computer Intel Celeron N3450 Windows 10 last weak to do Windows things on after only owning Macs since 2012. Really liking it so far, but did have a couple questions was hoping you guys could help me out with. The first was trying to...
  4. Impossible to migrate from windows 7 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Impossible to migrate from windows 7 to windows 10: Hello, i've tried many times to migrate but uncucessfull... I need your help please ! see my errors log : Fault bucket 662167277, type 377156863 Event Name: WinSetupDiag02 Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: 1 P2: 2 P3: 9 P4: 1 P5:...
  5. Migration windows 7 towards Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migration windows 7 towards Windows 10: In order to migrate W7 to W10 I start the media creation tool but it stops with an error "cannot run this program on this pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-windows-7-towards-windows-10/9b4f4310-3fd7-4aae-a39b-aa073db7601e
  6. Migrating program from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Migrating program from Windows 7 to Windows 10: In the many years I used Windows 7, I ran a freeware program Talking Alarm Clock byCinnamon Software. It is a valuable little program which I have tried unsuccessfully to install in my new Windows 10 PC. To begin with, trying to download it fromcinnamon.com is impossible,...
  7. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration Tools

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration Tools: [ATTACH]Whenever Microsoft ends support to an OS, it pushes consumers and enterprises to migrate to the latest version of Windows. The same has happened to […] This article Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration Tools first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration: I recently purchased a windows 10 key & downloaded the ISO file to perform a migration I performed an in-place migration & the unit picked up the digital key from windows 7 Home premium on the unit & indicated Windows 10 was digitally activated. Question is - is this a...
  9. Few Windows 10 related questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Few Windows 10 related questions: Hello Guys, I've just recently upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1 and I have to say I am very impressed so far. When I purchased Windows 8 via the discount offer of £35 I was sent a serial number, I could read the serial number via Jelly Bean Keyfinder, when I installed Window...
  10. A few questions - Win10 migrating to new system and HDD cloning

in Windows 10 Support
    A few questions - Win10 migrating to new system and HDD cloning: Hi all...this will be a bit of a novel, so I apologize. I have done clones and migrations with Windows 7 in the past, but never with Win10, so I was looking for some info and pointers. Now, I know licensing works differently with Win10 and am worried for my brother's...