Windows 10: Windows 7 to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissio

Discus and support Windows 7 to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissio in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 7 automatically updated to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissions over and over and I am losing files. Well I was one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yurgalavage, May 25, 2016.

1. Windows 7 to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissio

Windows 7 automatically updated to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissions over and over and I am losing files.

Well I was one of the people who went to lunch one day only to come back and find that windows 10 was 85% complete installation... by itself.. with no prompt.. without warning..

At any rate, the specific problems I am having with Windows 10 began somewhere along the line when I purchased a game in the Windows 10 store, which required me to log in with my Microsoft account, which then, I guess changed my 'user permissions' on my system which somehow affected my second harddrive.. which basically rendered it such that I could no longer access what was on it (the 'denied, you don't have permissions' thing).

If it was just a single incidence on a single system, I wouldn't be so upset about it. You just set the permissions back using harddrive properties and boom you are back in business.
    The problem is that this harddrive is in a sleeve and is a 'hot swappable' hard drive that my computer case holds. I use this same drive at home and at work. I turn the computer off, pop the sleeve/drive out and then at work slide it in and then turn on that computer.
    the problem? well the windows 10 at work THERE (I went ahead and bit the bullet and updated to Windows 10 on the work computer...) then has different user permissions on it.. so some files are not even visible, some are 'mixed' due to being named or written over while on the other system, and some of them simply get deleted or are made to be size 0 when reboot because windows has to 'repair' the drive.. I am assuming since some files are tied to the permissions of the home computer, they look like garbled or aren't recognized normally on the work computer...
    this is frustrating to no end, because I am losing hours of work to this, or are having to start certain programs or documents over from scratch which are lost to this ridiculous user permissions BS.

In Windows 7, the hot swap worked FLAWLESSLY between home and work computers.. no problems at ALL.. this is a new problem brought about with Windows 10, and it seemed to have started when I was forced to 'log in' so I could buy/download a game on the Windows 10 store.

Right now the permissions that I set on the Harddrive are:

Everyone
    Authenticated Users
    SYSTEM
    Administrators (my login\Administrators)
    Users (my login\Users)

I used these because my small external USB hard drive has these as the user permissions on it, and it works on both systems when plugged into USB. However the 'my login' part is different on each computer in the case of the hotswap harddrive...

How can I make this drive back to like it was, where when I put it in either computer, when the computer powers on, the permissions are just fine for EITHER computer..

I have to reset the permissions on each computer, in order to use the hardrive at all, EVERY TIME, which then after reboot the harddrive then thinks there are 'errors' during the reboot...

If I set it to just 'Everyone' will it work on any system and not need to be reset?

PLEASE HELP. I am almost at my wits end on this. I am ready to just revert back to Windows 7 because of the need to keep from having to redo work.. this permissions thing is a new one for me.. I simply don't have a clue what windows is doing to these files or how it locks them or ties them to user permissions... I need the files to be accessed on either system, without having to reset permissions over and over. and to be writing new files and data that will work no matter where this harddrive is put..

Using this BIG HARDRIVE this way has made it possible for me to work at home and at work using the same data, programs, and resources all on the same big drive...

:)

yurgalavage, May 25, 2016

2. Windows 7 automatically updated to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissions over and over and I am losing files.

Hi Mike,

I highly appreciate your efforts and time.

Sorry to know that the issue persists, even after trying so many possible solutions.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Try to run Hardware Troubleshooter. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

a. Press Windows Logo Key+X then click on
    Search option.

b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

c. In the new window, click View all on the left pane.

d. In the list of options, click on Hardware and devices.

e. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Since the issue occurred after you logged in using a Microsoft account, so switch to a local account if you have one and check.

If there is no local account, refer the link below to create a new account and to switch to a local account.

Set up accounts:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 25, 2016
  3. Windows 7 automatically updated to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissions over and over and I am losing files.

Well I was one of the people who went to lunch one day only to come back and find that windows 10 was 85% complete installation... by itself.. with no prompt.. without warning..

At any rate, the specific problems I am having with Windows 10 began somewhere along the line when I purchased a game in the Windows 10 store, which required me to log in with my Microsoft account, which then, I guess changed my 'user permissions' on my system
    which somehow affected my second harddrive.. which basically rendered it such that I could no longer access what was on it (the 'denied, you don't have permissions' thing).

If it was just a single incidence on a single system, I wouldn't be so upset about it. You just set the permissions back using harddrive properties and boom you are back in business.

The problem is that this harddrive is in a sleeve and is a 'hot swappable' hard drive that my computer case holds. I use this same drive at home and at work. I turn the computer off, pop the sleeve/drive out and then at work slide it in and then turn
    on that computer.

the problem? well the windows 10 at work THERE (I went ahead and bit the bullet and updated to Windows 10 on the work computer...) then has different user permissions on it.. so some files are not even visible, some are 'mixed' due to being named or written
    over while on the other system, and some of them simply get deleted or are made to be size 0 when reboot because windows has to 'repair' the drive.. I am assuming since some files are tied to the permissions of the home computer, they look like garbled or
    aren't recognized normally on the work computer...

this is frustrating to no end, because I am losing hours of work to this, or are having to start certain programs or documents over from scratch which are lost to this ridiculous user permissions BS.

In Windows 7, the hot swap worked FLAWLESSLY between home and work computers.. no problems at ALL.. this is a new problem brought about with Windows 10, and it seemed to have started when I was forced to 'log in' so I could buy/download a game on the Windows
    10 store.

Right now the permissions that I set on the Harddrive are:

Everyone

Authenticated Users

SYSTEM

Administrators (my login\Administrators)

Users (my login\Users)

I used these because my small external USB hard drive has these as the user permissions on it, and it works on both systems when plugged into USB. However the 'my login' part is different on each computer in the case of the hotswap harddrive...

How can I make this drive back to like it was, where when I put it in either computer, when the computer powers on, the permissions are just fine for EITHER computer..

I have to reset the permissions on each computer, in order to use the hardrive at all, EVERY TIME, which then after reboot the harddrive then thinks there are 'errors' during the reboot...

If I set it to just 'Everyone' will it work on any system and not need to be reset?

PLEASE HELP. I am almost at my wits end on this. I am ready to just revert back to Windows 7 because of the need to keep from having to redo work.. this permissions thing is a new one for me.. I simply don't have a clue what windows is doing to these files
    or how it locks them or ties them to user permissions... I need the files to be accessed on either system, without having to reset permissions over and over. and to be writing new files and data that will work no matter where this harddrive is put..

Using this BIG HARDRIVE this way has made it possible for me to work at home and at work using the same data, programs, and resources all on the same big drive...

MikeYurgalavage, May 25, 2016
Thema:

Windows 7 to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissio

1. Windows 7 to Windows 10, now hotswap harddrive requires user permissio - Similar Threads - hotswap harddrive requires

2. Windows 10 was acivated, but now it requires activation again?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 was acivated, but now it requires activation again?: I recently built a PC for the first time and I used a windows 10 product key that I bought from ebay or something similar. windows was activated without any issues but when I installed chrome and signed in with my Microsoft account, suddenly the activated windows watermark...
  3. question for windows 7 users?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    question for windows 7 users?: Hi, i was going to restore my pc to defaut or factory settings. but i notice it says requrie a disc that came with it. i don't remember if it came with teh disc or not. but its a asus laptop. is there another way to reboot it without the requrie disc? i already know how...
  4. Hotswapping drives.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hotswapping drives.: So recently I tried hotswapping sata hard drives and I have it enabled in bios and it used to work but for dynamic drives the offline button is grayed out and if you unplug them anyway you will gsod with UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and if you plug in a basic non dynamic drive...
  5. user account requiring username and password now

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    user account requiring username and password now: Curious. For many months when I turn on my laptop I have entered a four-digit PIN. Recently I did something and now my computer starts by asking me to enter a username and password. If I hit "OK" then I see to the lower left the names of two user accounts (they are...
  6. Windows 10 now requiring password instead of PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 now requiring password instead of PIN: Windows 10 Professional Version 1903, OS build 18362.295 – Intel Core i5-6500T, 16GB DDR4 PIN has been established, recognized and saved. Up until a short while ago I had been able to sign on after a startup, reboot or waking from sleep. I don’t mind this benign extra...
  7. Install windows 10 on new harddrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Install windows 10 on new harddrive: My harddrive failed so i need a new one i made an image of the bad drive awhile ago on external harddrive that i also store other files on like videos music etc. Can i use this harddrive to put the image files on the new harddrive in the laptop without any issues windows...
  8. Windows 7 User Accounts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 User Accounts: Good morning all, Hope someone can help with this. I seem to have the job of looking after the computers in our local church office. one of them has 4 or 5 separate user accounts for people doing different jobs. Up until now I have only upgrades my own (7) computers which all...
  9. windows 10 update killed my harddrive, what to do now?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update killed my harddrive, what to do now?: so, last night when I need to turn off my computer, it gave me the option “turn Off and update“. alright, seems there's no other choice unless I'm willing to pay for my 700w power supply forever. So I turned off my computer, and left it alone for updating thing. then, this...
  10. Windows 7 & Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 & Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10: Windows 7 and Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview - Softpedia Does this mean that all users can upgrade, now? 3770