Windows 10: Windows 7 upgrade dilemma

Discus and support Windows 7 upgrade dilemma in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; To : safe01 I have a post which was answered by our Admin, Brink. The scenario is different, but the principle/rule is the same. If you are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by safe01, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Superfly Win User

Windows 7 upgrade dilemma

That is a completely different issue - we are not talking about duplication of licences... just getting digital entitlement for later use... it's really not that hard to understand, with all due respect.

Superfly, Apr 14, 2016
  2. davidhk Win User

You cannot get Digital Entitlement unless the OS is activated.
    You cannot get the OS activated unless you have a valid product key that is NOT in use.

Installing Win 10 in a separate partition but using the same Win 7 product key will not get activated.

davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Superfly Win User
    OMG... I give up! Do as you will.

Superfly, Apr 14, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I'll take a stab at this one. To be honest I doubt you can do what you would want to do and get a free upgrade to 10. The best plan right now is to upgrade to 10 and try it out for the 30 days and see if you like it or not. If it's not what you want you can roll back to 7. Or if you make a back up of your current PC with 7 you can roll back at any time before or after the 30 days.

Another thought is to try Classic shell if you don't like the new start menu. It's going to be almost the same as what you have now.

HTH
    Jeff
    PS, and welcome to the forums. *Smile

BunnyJ, Apr 14, 2016
  5. safe01 Win User
    Thanks. Unfortunately I think you may be right. My main concern about upgrading to W10 is multiple driver incompatibility. I only upgraded from Vista to W7 last year and that was fairly problematic, but this will be way worse. As I said, ideally I would like to stick with W7 and only upgrade to W10 in a few years if my laptop is still working, but as there doesn't appear to be any consensus here how to do that it would seem it's not possible.

safe01, Apr 14, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I have to go along with your thinking on this. If you had trouble before you might encounter some again.
    My thought would be keep 7 and just do a hardware upgrade in Dec 2019, it would be about the right time.

And happy computing.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 14, 2016
  7. groze Win User
    safe01

Maybe I can shed some light on this. First backup your windows 7 system (There are instructions on the forum on how to do this). Next, install windows 10 upgrade. It should be digitally activated. Then you can restore your windows 7 and then upgrade or do a clean install of windows 10 at anytime. This is not a step by step instruction but read further before doing this but still do the backup of windows 7 and backup any data you might need.

To All,
    It actually depends on the type of windows 7 disk safe01 has. If it is an upgrade disk, safe01 will have to upgrade 10 first, then do a clean install of 10. If the windows 7 disk is a retail disk, then safe01 can delete all partitions and do a clean install of windows 10. Sometimes the windows 7 key won't work until after windows 10 install is completed-my experience. Note, no key needed if upgrade from 7.

groze, Apr 14, 2016
  8. safe01 Win User

It says Windows 7 Upgrade Kit on the packaging.

safe01, Apr 14, 2016
  9. groze Win User
    If I understand the upgrade requirement correctly & you have that windows 7 upgrade kit installed. You will need to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 and see if it activates. If it doesn't activate, you can call Microsoft and tell them you upgrade from vista to 7 then to windows 10. If the activation completes or Microsoft gets your computer activated. Then you can do a clean install right away or you can wait. Just ignore the request(s) for the key during windows 10 clean install. Once 10 is up and running it will see you have digital entitlement. Note, if Microsoft gives you a new key, you might have to change to that key after a clean install is completed.

groze, Apr 14, 2016
  10. safe01 Win User
    Thanks. I don't know if I want to do all that though. I'll probably just upgrade to W10. Thanks for the info though

safe01, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 upgrade dilemma - Similar Threads - upgrade dilemma

2. Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade stuck at 64%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade stuck at 64%: Hi! I just did a fresh install of windows 10 yesterday to hopefully get a functional install to run with but after 24+ hrs of troubleshooting and fixing i finally got windows 10 ready and functional and decided to upgrade to windows 11, currently the update is stuck at 64%...
  3. Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade stuck at 64%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade stuck at 64%: Hi! I just did a fresh install of windows 10 yesterday to hopefully get a functional install to run with but after 24+ hrs of troubleshooting and fixing i finally got windows 10 ready and functional and decided to upgrade to windows 11, currently the update is stuck at 64%...
  4. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10: My laptop has a broken screen and i use HDMI to connect it to TV screen. i upgraded to windows 10 and now i cant switch screens again, tried Win + P and it doesnt work, i think im in middle of upgrade because i can barely see little blue window on top of my screen and it...
  5. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10: My laptop has a broken screen and i use HDMI to connect it to TV screen. i upgraded to windows 10 and now i cant switch screens again, tried Win + P and it doesnt work, i think im in middle of upgrade because i can barely see little blue window on top of my screen and it...
  6. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10

Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10: I have a ZT Systems i7 desktop running Windows 8.1 that performs beautifully - better than my i7 Windows 10 Dell laptop. However, I need to switch it to Windows 10. I missed the free upgrade opportunity, so I guess I need to buy a Windows 10 Key. I downloaded the ISO from...
  8. Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10: I have a ZT Systems i7 desktop running Windows 8.1 that performs beautifully - better than my i7 Windows 10 Dell laptop. However, I need to switch it to Windows 10. I missed the free upgrade opportunity, so I guess I need to buy a Windows 10 Key. I downloaded the ISO from...
  9. Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma...

Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma...: Hey gang, I bought a new HP Pavilion Gaming TG-0023w with Windows 10 pre-installed onto a 256gb NVMe hard drive. I'm upgrading the original drive to a 1tb version of the same type. I was looking around to find out how to setup the new drive with my PC's copy of Windows...
  10. Win 10 upgrade dilemma

Win 10 upgrade dilemma: Hi, I originally used the sysprep method (from eightforums) to move my user profile to a different drive (E: drive) in win 8.1. My dilemma is do I move my user profile back to the C: drive (win drive) before upgrading to win 10 ? or just upgrade as it would seem this is...