Windows 10: Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 but Users Folder on second drive

Discus and support Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 but Users Folder on second drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to upgrade before the deadline. However, I moved the users folder to a second drive. I don't know if I used a program which modified the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by andrew124C41, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 but Users Folder on second drive

I want to upgrade before the deadline. However, I moved the users folder to a second drive. I don't know if I used a program which modified the registry or a sysprep script that I wrote. I had heard that one could upgrade without moving the folder back but I am not sure that is true. I tried to upgrade to win 10 but it did not complete. Any advice appreciated.

Do I run sysprep in reverse. Not sure how to do that.

:)

andrew124C41, Jul 28, 2016

2. Missing Favorites folder after Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7

While using Windows 7, my IE11 Favorites folder was moved from my C drive to my D drive (a second SATA internal hard drive). Following the upgrade, there is no Favorites folder in my User folder and I cannot bookmark any sites.

Help please!

Wolfman2601, Jul 28, 2016
  3. Upgrading system with Users folders/profiles on different drive

I am upgrading 7 Professional to 10. On my system I have user folders and profiles on drive E with windows on drive C. When I add new users their home folders are automatically created on drive E and new applications generally recognise this also. Can
    I simply run the Windows 10 upgrade or do I have to move my user folders back to C? Actually, my drive C, which is an SSD is not big enough to take my user folders.

Richard A Naylor, Jul 28, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 but Users Folder on second drive

Probably the best thing to do right now, is download what you need, and throw in an empty drive, disconnect all other drives, and clean install W10, then use your W7 key to activate it once you get to the desktop. Also, skip checking for updates at the beginning of the install, because the servers are being hammered now, and you'll just sit there idle, while nothing happens.

If you must review the failure log, it can be found at
    C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log

You'll need to show hidden system files to find it, and you'll need to copy it to someplace else in order to open it.

7:40 to go. No time to lose. *Smile

simrick, Jul 29, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    Have moved the whole users folder i.e. c:\users\myname to the other drive or just the My Documents etc. folders. If the latter you should be OK. Some people have reported upgrade problems if the the former applies.

Steve C, Jul 29, 2016
  6. Yes, I reviewed what I did and I had written a script which moved the entire users folder to a separate drive.

I started the upgrade process Friday evening then left my office and when I came this morning...all was well. The install did recognized (as well it should) the placement of the users folder.

Unfortunately, my Win 7 had gotten messy so I am going to play with Win 7 for awhile and see if I will do a clean install of it or go back to Win 7.

Thanks for your help

andrew124C41, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 but Users Folder on second drive

1. Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 but Users Folder on second drive - Similar Threads - Upgrade Users Folder

2. Migrating Windows 10 to ssd with Windows 7 on a second drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Migrating Windows 10 to ssd with Windows 7 on a second drive: Having no luck here so I need some help. I'm trying to replace a hdd Win 10 installation with a cloned ssd. I have the following setup: Disk 0: Windows 10 Pro installation (OS build 19041.867) Disk 1: Windows 7 (disk also contains EFI boot sector) Disk 2: Storage Disk 3:...
  3. Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Second user unable to see external drives with Windows 10: Our family computer is set up with an administrator and a second user. The administrator can see all external hard drives, however they are hidden from the second user. I hoped that by making the second user an administrator access would be allowed, but this does not help. It...
  4. Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....: I have two hard drives on my Desktop PC. One hard drive has Windows 10, the other hard disk has Windows 7. I have been multi-booting by changing which disk to boot in Bios. I would like to clone my Windows 10 to a second partition on the hard drive that has my Windows 7 hard...
  5. Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....

in Windows 10 Support
    Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....: I have two hard drives on my Desktop PC. One hard drive has Windows 10, the other hard disk has Windows 7. I have been multi-booting by changing which disk to boot in Bios. I would like to clone my Windows 10 to a second partition on the hard drive that has my Windows 7 hard...
  6. Windows 10 Pro - Move user folders to second partition for all users.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Pro - Move user folders to second partition for all users.: So I am rebuilding the home PC, and want to move user folders over to a secondary partition. I want all users who use the PC to have their folders moved automatically. I know I can manually move the folders one by one, but want it setup so that anyone that comes along and...
  7. Many Windows 7 users are still not upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Many Windows 7 users are still not upgrading to Windows 10: Microsoft is no longer releasing security updates for Windows 7 and the company encourages everyone to upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 10 upgrade efforts aren’t as aggressive as they were back in the days when Microsoft launched Windows 10. In January, Microsoft said it has...
  8. recovering windows 7 user profiles after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovering windows 7 user profiles after upgrading to windows 10: I recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. On windows 7 I had 4 user accounts and I was the administrator. When I opened windows 10 they are not visible, I can see them in windows.old/users but I don't know how to add those accounts back onto windows 10....
  9. Second hard drive not found after upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second hard drive not found after upgrade to Windows 10: I originally replied to a thread about this issue THREE YEARS AGO. (SEE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-hard-drive-missing-after-update-from-7-to/16582692-bff3-47a6-9371-7790aec7b2f3?page=2). That thread is now locked. As I said in my...
  10. Windows 7 to 10 (Second Attempt)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 7 to 10 (Second Attempt): Continuing my question (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_licensing/windows-7-to-10-product-keys/b3b2b14c-7f06-41d3-b718-ac6196180e91?tm=1553540434502&lc=1033) here, because for some reason I can no longer add reply's to the other one. All I...