Windows 10: Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 failure of AMD SMBUS driver on MSI 785GTM-E45 system

Discus and support Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 failure of AMD SMBUS driver on MSI 785GTM-E45 system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have tried several times to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 on a PC with a MSI 785GTM-E4 motherboard with 8GB of memory. It seems to get through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NCCaniac, May 24, 2019.

1. NCCaniac Win User

Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 failure of AMD SMBUS driver on MSI 785GTM-E45 system

I have tried several times to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 on a PC with a MSI 785GTM-E4 motherboard with 8GB of memory. It seems to get through most of the process and even gets to the point where it reboots the PC and comes up with the Windows 10 initial screen with the animated spinner, but then a short time later it fails with this message

"0x80070017-0x80000 installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation"

and then it says it is rolling back to Windows 7 as it was before the upgrade.

After some more searching online, it looks like the cause is during the upgrade that it is failing when installing this Windows update/patch

"AMD, Inc. driver update for AMD SMBUS failed" I can see this listed as failed in the Windows Updates history list, once for each time I tried to update to Windows 10. What I found searching online is that it seems this AMD SMBUS driver that the update is trying to install is perhaps back level of the one that is already installed on the PC for Windows 7 and reverting it to an older version is why it is failing.

If that is the cause, can I get past it by hiding that update so it will not be applied on my next upgrade attempt or is there a better way to handle this?

:)

NCCaniac, May 24, 2019
  2. RufusRed Win User

Failed Advanced Micro Devices, Inc driver update for AMD SMBus in Windows 8.1

I have a HP Pavilion g7 running Windows 8.1 and the AMD SMBus is part of my system makeup. The system's Control Panel Windows Updates is what is trying to install the Advanced Micro Devices, Inc driver update for AMD SMBus. The Control Panel Windows
    Updates has been trying to update my system's AMD SMBus since 2018 which I just realized because I recently got several "system check failures." Thanks,

RufusRed, May 24, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, May 24, 2019
  4. Jetster Win User

Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 failure of AMD SMBUS driver on MSI 785GTM-E45 system

Jetster, May 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 failure of AMD SMBUS driver on MSI 785GTM-E45 system - Similar Threads - upgrade failure AMD

2. ELAN SMBus driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ELAN SMBus driver: I'm trying to find the update ELAN SMBus driver 15.21.1.21 and it's either from dodgy websites or you have to pay money for the update from third-party programs. I have already gone to my drivers and it says it's up to update but it's not....
  3. Failure Trying to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failure Trying to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10: My computer is running windows 7 ultimate , 32 bit, and I am trying to upgrade to windows 10 Pro, with the option to retain all my files and apps. At every attempt the installation fails and delivers an error code 0x-C19100101 - 0x30018. I found that this error USUALLY...
  4. Windows 10 SMbus driver difficulties

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 SMbus driver difficulties: So I have been getting blue screen errors randomly, throughout the day and it says at the bottom of the blue screen WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR I looked in my device manager to see what was wrong and I found my smbus driver need an update. I tried to update it manually and...
  5. AMD SMBus and Standard SATA AHCI Controller Drivers

AMD SMBus and Standard SATA AHCI Controller Drivers: Hi, I'm running a AMD FX-6300 system, 8Gb RAM with Nvidia GTX 750 Ti GPU, running Windows 10 and Avast AV. The 'Driver Updater' in Avast keeps telling me these 2 drivers need updating. But if I try to update them in 'Device Manager' I'm told "Windows has determined you...
  6. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade Failure

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade Failure: Hello all, I am trying to upgrade a Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 1903 using the Media Creation Tool as an In-Place Upgrade. The upgrade always fails at 30% with the same error every time. 2019-10-24 11:35:22, Error InstallSecurityTemplate:...
  7. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade Failure

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade Failure: Hello all, I am trying to upgrade a Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 1903 using the Media Creation Tool as an In-Place Upgrade. The upgrade always fails at 30% with the same error every time. 2019-10-24 11:35:22, Error InstallSecurityTemplate:...
  8. I NEED AMD SMBUS

I NEED AMD SMBUS: CAN I GGET SM BUS DRIVER FOR MY IOS 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-amd-smbus/e39376c4-ae48-4a39-9b18-db381a5b4a6e
  9. upgrade a windows 7 system to windows 10

upgrade a windows 7 system to windows 10: I need to upgrade a windows 7 home system to windows 10 home for a friend. I do not want to do a clean install but need to preserve the files and programs on win 7. I bought a commercial version of windows 10 from Best Buy. The commercial package contained a USB flash...
  10. Windows 7 to 10 upgrade failure

Windows 7 to 10 upgrade failure: Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my current Windows 7 pc. I have a USB iso boot. However no matter what I do it gets stuck on the logo screen with spinning dots. In safe mode it gets stuck on logo screen without dots. I think doing a clean install is best for me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. advanced micro devices inc driver update for amd smbus