Windows 10: Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot

Discus and support Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; OK, I have Windows 7 OEM Version and want to upgrade to Windows 10 After I get Windows 10 Activated through the upgrade can I... Clean install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Michaelrj9, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot

OK, I have Windows 7 OEM Version and want to upgrade to Windows 10 After I get Windows 10 Activated through the upgrade can I...

Clean install Windows 7 (with Original 7 key) and clean install Windows 10 (should automatically activate) to have a dual boot? Or is Microsoft going to block my activation saying you can't have both 7 and 10?

1 more question related to this too.

I have a different computer that has a OEM-Builders edition of Windows 7. I don't want Windows 10 on it right now as the software I need to run will not run on it but...

I want to upgrade to Windows 10 just to get the free upgrade and activate then revert back to Windows 7.

Later on down the road a year or so can I install Windows 10 with no problems activating it?

Thanks

:)

Michaelrj9, Sep 2, 2015

2. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Sep 2, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    No dual-boot at all?!

You are violating the windows license agreement and will not be able to activate windows 10 if you did not upgrade from windows 7 on your boot drive before doing a clean install. The free Windows 10 upgrade replaces your windows 7 license and windows 7 cannot
    be used or transferred after the upgrade. You will have to buy the license to activate windows 10 if you have not purchased it already.

If you are willing to purchase the win 10 license to activate it, here are dual boot instructions but windows 10 can be difficult to dual boot-- (win 7 instructions are the same for win 10)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot#1TC=windows-7

Custom installation of the newest version with drive options is the key to dual booting. Changing boot order in the bios doesn't apply to dual boot. You will have to do a Custom Clean reinstall windows 10. Consider just staying with windows 7 until you replace
    the computer.

mlg63, Sep 2, 2015
  4. genet Win User

Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot

No. I have installed a dual boot system with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Yes.

genet, Sep 2, 2015
  5. While you CAN do this, the upgrade license consumes Win7 -- so legally, you can't continue to use both Win7 and Win10.
    MS won't block the original Upgrade activation. As to whether or not MS will, in the future, deactivate Win7, the general claim is that MS does not deactivate existing licenses. So, the best guess is that you would be able to continue using both Win7 and Win10.

No one can tell the future at this point, but my guess is that, since the free Upgrade will no longer be in effect at that point, and the license you obtained was part of that original offer, that Win10 will likely deactivate -- but that is only a guess.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot

1. Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot - Similar Threads - upgrade clean install

2. Dual booting with Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual booting with Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 10: I have a laptop running Windows 10 Home edition and also have a spare Windows 7 Pro with a valid MSDN key. I read that you cannot upgrade Windows 7 registered with MSDN key but on another computer that had it running I went ahead with the upgrade and it worked. Activation...
  3. How to install dual boot windows 7 & Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install dual boot windows 7 & Windows 10?: i already installed windows 10 in my lenovo ideapad 320. It has UEFI & GPT Partition.when i was trying to install windows 7 these are im getting errors 1) stucked on boot logo ( In MBR) 2) keyboard & mouse won't working (In GPT) tried UEFI & legacy mode __/\__ none of them...
  4. Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.: I recently installed Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 for better support for older games, however Windows 10 will now no longer boot, it simply goes to a black screen with a circle of spinning dots with occasional disk activity. I have left it like this for at least 3 hours...
  5. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  6. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  7. Help to Install Windows 7, dual boot with Windows 10

Help to Install Windows 7, dual boot with Windows 10: Currently I'm running Windows 10 fall creators update Pro-64 bit. For some unavoidable reason I need to install Windows 7 Ultimate alongside Windows 10 (dual boot). But whenever I'm trying to install windows 7 it's saying "Your computer is already running newer version of...
  8. Dual boot 10 and 7 - 10 tried to upgrade 7

Dual boot 10 and 7 - 10 tried to upgrade 7: I think thats what happened. I booted into win10, the update (or is it it upgrade) assistant said there was an update to install. It then downloaded something for about 45 minutes... rebooted... and gave me the big black screen, with the clock on it. When I reset and came...
  9. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.: Now that we have the ability to clean install 10 onto a pre-existing 7 machine, and then activate using the pre-existing 7 key... 1. Created a 200GB partition for 10. 2. Booted from USB 10 installer (created today, so latest version). 3. Installed 10 into said 200GB...
  10. Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10: Hi All, I already have Windows 10 Home x64 on my notebook. I had upgraded from Windows 8.1. I have never had Windows 7 on this system. I want to dual boot install Windows 7 on a partition so that I can play some games that are not compatible with Windows 10. *Sad I...