Windows 10: Windows 7, Windows 10 and NAS connectivity - Homegroup setup

Discus and support Windows 7, Windows 10 and NAS connectivity - Homegroup setup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all At the moment I have my main PC (Main) upgraded to Win 10 Pro x64 , and a Media PC (Media) on Win 7 Ultimate x64(Media) and a variety of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by UKMedia, Aug 5, 2015.

1. UKMedia Win User

Windows 7, Windows 10 and NAS connectivity - Homegroup setup

Hi all

At the moment I have my main PC (Main) upgraded to Win 10 Pro x64 , and a Media PC (Media) on Win 7 Ultimate x64(Media) and a variety of Netgear and Buffalo NAS devices. These are currently all networked via a Workgroup with no problems.

Issue: To use Cortana on Main, I need to log on to a MS account but then Media can't access files on Main.

Question: Is there a way of logging Main into a MS account and as Win7 can't access a MS account leave Media as a Local account but still share files between them and the NAS devices? (I don't want to update Media to Win10 because I'll lose Media Centre)

Context: I did think of using Homegroups but I'm not sure how to connect to my older Buffalo NAS devices as the only Network set-up options are Workgroup or WINS Server (I've not used the latter)

I've attached my current Network settings for sharing.

Any ideas?

Regards

:)

UKMedia, Aug 5, 2015
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Connect to Windows 7 PC to copy files

I ran the Windows 10 Homegroup troubleshooter before I posted here. It found no problems.

I went through all the steps for Windows 7, had no luck, quit the Homegroup on Windows 10, changed the password on Win 7, and rebooted. It's rejecting the password on Win 10, so I'm going to try again,

E Blackwell, Aug 5, 2015
  4. UKMedia Win User

Please ignore, I was having a Senile moment!*Redface

Just stored the log-in details on Media and everything okay now...

UKMedia, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 7, Windows 10 and NAS connectivity - Homegroup setup - Similar Threads - NAS connectivity Homegroup

2. setup homegroup windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    setup homegroup windows 10: i find it interesting that their 50 pages asking the same questions about setup homegroup windows 10 and no one at Microsoft can answer the question - so is their a answer??????????/...
  3. Windows 10 won't connect to Win 7 homegroup

Windows 10 won't connect to Win 7 homegroup: I just got a new HP desktop running win 10. I already have a local network with two laptops running win 10 and one desktop running win 7. The win 7 pc serves as my media server and has a homegroup enabled with sharing. My new PC recognizes the win 7 pc on the network but I...
  4. How to homegroup network windows 10 & Windows 7

How to homegroup network windows 10 & Windows 7: How to accomplish this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-homegroup-network-windows-10-windows-7/744df7f1-67db-4bb6-a3e6-a9a04ed360fd
  5. windows 10 connect to nas

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 connect to nas: new computer (windows 10pro) will not connect to my nas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-connect-to-nas/dda6bea2-6ab8-4226-9ea4-b91ac57beb6f
  6. Adding Windows 10 computer to Homegroup of Windows 7

Adding Windows 10 computer to Homegroup of Windows 7: I have 2 windows 7 computers connected using Homegroup for long time. Now i got a new Windows 10 computer. How to connect the Windows 10 computer to the existing network....
  7. Homegroup won't recognize Windows 7/Windows 10 connection

Homegroup won't recognize Windows 7/Windows 10 connection: I had two windows 7 machines connected. Machine 1 was replaced with a windows 10 model. It is the machine that the printer was connected to. Now the homegroup function seems not to recognize the other machine, Machine 2. I've tried connecting from each machine and the other...
  8. Homegroup/Workgroup Windows 10 and Windows 7

Homegroup/Workgroup Windows 10 and Windows 7: I am trying to network two computers. One has Windows 7 and one, Windows 10. Apparently, Microsoft recently removed Homegroup from Windows 10. Any ideas on how to do this? A simple peer to peer network is all I seek. A temporary solution until our cloud server is up and...
  9. Cannot setup Homegroup

Cannot setup Homegroup: Hi everyone a few weeks back I shot myself in the foot by leaving the homegroup on all four of my machines. I did not realise that they were still subject to the set password, although I had left. The password remains valid and I have NO clue what the password was.*Redface...
  10. Windows 10 Joining A Windows 7 HomeGroup

Windows 10 Joining A Windows 7 HomeGroup: So I am on Windows 10 now. Was on Windows 7 ultimate prior to upgrading. I have my NAS setup on my router upstairs but every so often it gets knocked offline (Not sure if that's the drive or network issue) but I was wondering if there was an easy way to join the homegroup...