Windows 10: Windows 8.1/10 do not detect optical drive sh-s223F

Discus and support Windows 8.1/10 do not detect optical drive sh-s223F in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since I upgraded from win 8 to win 8.1 and recently win 10 the optical drive is missing in both windows explorer, edge and device manager. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eekie, Nov 11, 2015.

1. eekie Win User

Windows 8.1/10 do not detect optical drive sh-s223F

Since I upgraded from win 8 to win 8.1 and recently win 10 the optical drive is missing in both windows explorer, edge and device manager. I have tried all the tricks I could find on the internet. For instance: Fix: DVD Drive Not Detected In Windows 8/10, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060, [FIX] Optical Drives (CD/DVD) Icon Not Showing in My Computer Window - AskVG. On two occasions the drive appeared and was accessable in win 8.1/10 shortly, eclipsing at the next start up.
    The drive is detected by the bios and I can start from installation DVD's. Virtual drives are detected and can be used.
    Does anybody have a solid solution for me?

:)

eekie, Nov 11, 2015

2. Samsung SH-S223F not recognized when upgrading to Win 10.

Win 10 did not pick up Samsung SH-S223F DVD Drive when upgrading form Win 7 SP1 to Win 10. Drive can be opened and closed using drive physical button on drive.

Drive is not shown in Device List.

GlennManasco, Nov 11, 2015
  3. Samsung SH-S223F not recognized when upgrading to Win 10.

Hi Glenn,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This issue could occur due to incompatible, outdated or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods below which can help us resolving this issue.

• Are you trying to dual boot?
    • Are you connected the external drive?
    Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue.

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Please update the drivers.

Update the CD/DVD drive drivers.

• Press Windows + X, select
      Device Manager.
    • Expand CD/DVD-ROM
      drives.
    • Right click on Drivers.
    • Click Update drivers.
    Method 3: Manually fix corrupted registry entries.

This problem may be caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows logo key + R to open the
      Run dialog box.
    • Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click
      Allow
    • In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

• In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note: You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click
      UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
    • On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    • In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note: If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next resolution.
    • On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    • Exit Registry Editor.
    • Restart the computer.
    Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
    Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the
    following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 11, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

You have to download and install latest chipset drivers. This includes drivers for the SATA controller. After doing that and restart your computer, it should detect the drive.

spapakons, Nov 11, 2015
  5. eekie Win User
    Hello Spapakons,
    It is a miracle. Your solution works! Still I am a bit surprised because I update my drivers regularly with Winzip Utilities. The drive is connected to an on board jmicron 362 sata controller. Now I have downloaded and installed the most recent 36x controller driver and that did the trick.
    Thanks!

eekie, Nov 11, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    We technicians have been through most of your troubles, so we know how to solve them...

spapakons, Nov 11, 2015
  7. Lazarus Win User
    Hi Spapakons, I've just stumbled upon your thread and I'm having the same problems noted here. Could you please help me with how to go about downloading & installing these latest chipset & SATA controller drivers?
    Thanks

Lazarus, Mar 27, 2017
  8. kipper Win User

Assuming you are asking about your laptop as listed in your "My Computer"

Go to the website for your laptop; support area and look for "Drivers" there you will find the selection of available drivers based on your system and operating system.........Download and install them for your chipset and SATA..

kipper, Mar 27, 2017
  9. spapakons Win User
    Quick solution but risky (sometimes can cause problems), is to download Snappy Driver Installer. This detects the hardware of your machine and automatically installs drivers. Avoid using it in tablets as you almost always lose the touch feature. Similar tool is the Driver Pack.

spapakons, Mar 27, 2017
  10. Lazarus Win User
    Hi kipper and spapakons, thanks so much for the reply and help.... I've been to the website and managed to get them. All sorted now! Didn't really want to go down the Snappy Driver Installer route and didn't have to Windows 8.1/10 do not detect optical drive sh-s223F :)

Lazarus, Apr 1, 2017
  11. kipper Win User
    Lazarus......you are welcome, glad you got it all sorted out....

kipper, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 8.1/10 do not detect optical drive sh-s223F - Similar Threads - detect optical drive

2. SH File .sh properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SH File .sh properties: HiI have accidentally changed the properties of a ".sh" file and it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader now. Can someone suggest me, what is to be done in order to restore the file to its original form.Thanks and regardsSabu G...
  3. SH File .sh properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SH File .sh properties: HiI have accidentally changed the properties of a ".sh" file and it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader now. Can someone suggest me, what is to be done in order to restore the file to its original form.Thanks and regardsSabu G...
  4. SH File .sh properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. optical drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  6. optical drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  7. Optical Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical Drive: Hello, The optical drive on my ASUS all in one pc has stopped working. Apparently, there is a driver error. I have tried to fix/update with no success. ASUS say there is no direct fix available. I have bought an external drive, but this is also showing the same diagnostic...
  8. Optical drive

Optical drive: How do I install and connect the ASUS External slim optical drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive/db20e64f-3402-413d-8948-b95b9dd4eb48
  9. optical drive

optical drive: just bought a new desk top PC. manual shows that there is an optical drive eject button but I don't see it in my PC. am I equipped with optical drive or no? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive/ff81eee5-343a-42cc-b7f8-31d2e4a2b445
  10. optical drive

optical drive: is not listed in devices and wont find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/optical-drive/0fdeeee8-96a7-42b5-801d-ed31c57d2c14