Windows 10: Windows 8.1 doesn't boot anymore after Windows 10 installation on 2nd drive

Discus and support Windows 8.1 doesn't boot anymore after Windows 10 installation on 2nd drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 8.1 on one drive. I install Windows 10 on a second physical drive. Then the computer always boots into Win10. "Ok", I think, before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Meicrosoft, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Windows 8.1 doesn't boot anymore after Windows 10 installation on 2nd drive

I have Windows 8.1 on one drive.

I install Windows 10 on a second physical drive.

Then the computer always boots into Win10. "Ok", I think, before he would always ask which Windows version to boot before, Windows 8.1 was installed on that second drive.

I put the Windows 8.1 drive first in the boot order in BIOS. It still boots Win10.

I press F8 and select the Win8 drive, it still boots Win10.

I physically detach the Win10 drive, it only boots into BIOS...

Can someone help me. I read afterwards that one should remove all other drives before installing Win10. Great.

What I tried after removing the Win10 drive:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

It finds the Windows installation, but when I press Yes, it says "Element not found".

fixmbr brings no changes either.

I tried the diskpart/select as active thing, but it said something along the lines of my drive is no MBR drive.

What did the Win10 installation do to my Win8 installation??? And why??? I don't want to reinstall everything. I can still see all my data and folders when I reattach the Win10 drive and open the File Manager from inside Win10, so it's definitely not that the drive is corrupt, it was working and booting fine before I installed Windows 10.

One goes out of his way to install Windows 10 on a separate SSD and not just a different partition, to make sure that the original installation remains untouched, and then it f***ks up everything anyway!! What happened??

[moved from de-de]

:)

Meicrosoft, Jan 29, 2021
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jan 29, 2021
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Windows 8.1 doesn't boot anymore after Windows 10 installation on 2nd drive [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Jan 29, 2021
  4. thraxed Win User

Windows 8.1 doesn't boot anymore after Windows 10 installation on 2nd drive

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Windows 8.1 doesn't boot anymore after Windows 10 installation on 2nd drive

1. Windows 8.1 doesn't boot anymore after Windows 10 installation on 2nd drive - Similar Threads - doesn't boot anymore

2. Why doesn't it boot anymore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't it boot anymore?: Hello Microsoft team, I recently updated my laptop windows 10 PROAnd it doesn't boot anymore, how can we solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-it-boot-anymore/2cde760e-980a-4a0b-9d39-66413aa995be
  3. Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive: Hi I currently have a 1Tb HDD, partitioned into ‘C’ one-third and ‘D’two-thirds. ‘C’ is Windows 10 and apps, ‘D’ is data docs, spreadsheets, music…. I have a spare 240Gb SSD 2.5 inch which I’d like to useas the boot drive, with the aim of making Windows 10 start quicker,...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 won't boot after installing 2nd HDD: Hello, So i have an MSI B450M Mortar Max mobo with a Kingston A2000 1TB NVME SSD, and i want to add an external 2TB HDD. But when i plug it in and try to start the pc it wont go past the boot logo. If i unplug it and plug it in while the pc is on it shows up as a normal HDD...
  5. Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive: Hi, I am frustrated and here is what I did (any help is appreciated) : My company's laptop has only HDD drive and it has Windows 10 Enterprise and i don't have admin privileges + it has BittLocker. I got my self a temporary nvme drive and plugged it into an empty nvme...
  6. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...
  7. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...
  8. Paging file on 2nd HD doesn't work anymore after Windows update in Dec

in Windows 10 Support
    Paging file on 2nd HD doesn't work anymore after Windows update in Dec: Hello, Happy new year. I have a couple PC's in my house running Windows 10 64bit. All these PC's run Windows from a SSD and have a 2nd HD installed. To save space on the SSD's I put the paging file for the virtual ram on the 2nd HD. So now, sometime in December after a...
  9. Windows 10 doesn't boot anymore after flagging partion as active

Windows 10 doesn't boot anymore after flagging partion as active: Hey guys, I'm having problems here. Here's my situation: i have 60GB SSD and two SATA disks with Windows 10 on the SSD disk. But because the small 60GB SSD was always running full, i've bought a 250GB SSD yesterday. So, i disconnected one of the SATA disks to connect the...
  10. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive: Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved...