Windows 10: Windows 8.1 Pro upgrades to Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Windows 8.1 Pro upgrades to Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop that I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10. It currently has 8.1 Pro on it. When trying to upgrade using the Microsoft Media Creation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SamODay, May 11, 2016.

1. SamODay Win User

Windows 8.1 Pro upgrades to Windows 10 Home

I have a laptop that I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10. It currently has 8.1 Pro on it. When trying to upgrade using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool via USB, it will only upgrade Windows 10 Home. It does not give me the option to select "Keep files". 5 other laptops were done on the same day, all with the same tool but on different USB's. I tried multiple USB's and they all say the same thing.

How can I upgrade to the correct version, which SHOULD be Windows 10 Pro?

:)

SamODay, May 11, 2016

2. Best way to upgrade from Windows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Pro?

What would be the best way to upgrade from Windows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Pro? I have a brand new laptop with only Windows 8.1 and driver software installed on it. I'm curious what would be the best way to go from Windows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Pro.
    Would it be to upgrade to Windows 10 Home and then purchase the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? Or upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro and then to Windows 10 Pro? Or would just buying Windows 10 Pro and doing a fresh install be best?

SarahKHarris, May 11, 2016
  3. Will the Windows 10 upgrade be available for Home or Pro?

The upgrade wil both be for the Home AND Pro...

The Home-edition will get the Windows 10 Home-edition

The Pro-edition will get the Windows 10 Pro-edition

MicaelNielsen, May 11, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Add this to the sources folder of the USB media.

NB: You will still need to change product key and activate with the Win 8 Pro key.

Superfly, May 11, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    SamODay,

Please run showkey plus from this forum on Windows 8.1 and post the results here. Before you post the results, click on the product keys displayed and they will automatically blank out. It appears as if you have an edition mismatch. For example, you have a Single Language edition installed and you are trying to upgrade from a standard edition USB drive.

Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 8.1 Pro upgrades to Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Pro upgrades Home

2. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key: I have a Windows 8 Pro product key that I purchased years ago when Windows 8 was first released.I go to the "Update & Security" tab in settings in my Windows 10 home laptop.I then select the "Activation" tab on the side panel.I then select "Change product Key".After entering...
  3. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key: I have a Windows 8 Pro product key that I purchased years ago when Windows 8 was first released.I go to the "Update & Security" tab in settings in my Windows 10 home laptop.I then select the "Activation" tab on the side panel.I then select "Change product Key".After entering...
  4. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro using Windows 8 Pro Lisence Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro using Windows 8 Pro Lisence Key: Hello! I have one quick question: Is it still possible to use an old Windows 8 Pro license to upgrade my Windows 10 to professional? I saw in articles online that it was possible but when I went to activation and put in the Product Key in my email from when I bought Windows...
  6. Windows 10 Home upgrade to Pro

Windows 10 Home upgrade to Pro: I just bought a new laptop. Came with Windows 10 Home. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Went to Microsoft Store and purchase Window 10 Pro upgrade. After purchasing it and install. Windows try to Active but it can't. I know that Windows 10 Home was Activate before...
  7. Upgrade windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade windows 10 Home to Pro: I am trying to upgrade my Windows 10 from Home to Pro Edition. I have a product key. When I go to update the Activation asks for a series of 6 digit numbers. My product key is all 5 digit numbers. I had it on a laptop that is no longer usable. How do I activate this ?...
  8. windows 8 pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 8 pro upgrade: my laptop came with windows 8 pro . what I understand is that windows 8 key is preset in BIOS. But when i upgraded to widnows 10 it upgraded to Home edition. I tried going to " upgrade to windows 10 pro" in microsoft store. but its asking me for key. what should i do....
  9. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hello! I've thinking to create a Active Director to control ~30 Windows machines. But all these machines are Windows Home (OEM). Can I upgrade all of them to Windows Pro in my company using Windows Store? Or need I to contact some Microsoft Business Center? Thanks in...
  10. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...