Windows 10: Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000

Discus and support Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've been reading many many threads regarding an update that renamed the C:\Users\{User} to C:\Users\{User}.000. This seems to break lots of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by VanderBosch, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000

Hello,

I've been reading many many threads regarding an update that renamed the C:\Users\{User} to C:\Users\{User}.000. This seems to break lots of programs that are actually pointing to the \{User} folder. I believe Zune may have been the reason why this .000 folder was created and have uninstalled it. I have restarted the computer several times as suggested by many people.

I don't seem to have a temporary account. Looking at the available users, I am still the only user on this PC. In addition, the C:\Users\{User} is practically empty. All my files have been transferred to C:\Users\{User}.000. I did have a windows.old folder, but after trying to reinstall Windows 10, it seems like that has disappeared. Can i just delete the C:\Users\{User} folder and rename the C:\Users\{User}.000. Is there a better method of doing this.

I thought this install went smoothly until trying to open DaVinci Resolve and noticing all my file references within the program were broken pointing at C:\Users\{User}.

Thanks for any info,

:)

VanderBosch, Apr 5, 2020

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Apr 5, 2020
  3. User folder renamed with .000?

Hi all - having an issue with a friend's (named Doug) Win10 HP laptop. He had a Windows 10 upgrade go through awhile back and since then he has two user folders - 'Doug' and 'Doug.000'. For the record, his machine only ever had one user account called Doug, which was an admin account.

'Doug' was the name of his usual account folder...currently that 'Doug' folder now only has an 'AppData' folder in it, nothing else. Everything else (Photos, Documents, etc, etc) has been copied to the 'Doug.000' folder. He also says that when he gets to the logon screen, instead of just his 'Doug' user as there always was, there are THREE users listed now: Two called 'Doug' and one called something else (he never told me what the third was called, I've been in contact with him only through email).

I saw Shawn Brink's tutorial and (this one: Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10) it suggested restarting the machine 4-5 times to see if that makes a difference...I'd passed this along to him and when he restarted it 4-5 times, it made no difference; the 'Doug.000' folder is still there. I asked him if he ever got a message saying his system was logged into a temporary profile and he doesn't remember.

With COVID and lockdowns here, I can't look at his PC in person, but may be able to remote into it to work on it for him.

Any suggestions on how to sort it out? He's somewhat computer-literate, but very much in a 'screws with things he doesn't completely understand' way because he has a very short anger fuse and I'm scared if he tried that tutorial, he'd make things worse. Brink's tutorial doesn't reference anything about a '.000' user folder, so I am not even sure if that tutorial is the one I should be following?

Suggestions or help would be appreciated! Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000 :)

Darkstrike, Apr 5, 2020
  4. deving Win User

Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000

1. Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000 - Similar Threads - Pro User Account

2. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  3. Rename Users Folder in Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename Users Folder in Windows 10 Pro: Hi! I just bought a brand new laptop and I just finished setting it up. It's running on Windows 10 Pro. After setting it up, I noticed that the name on the Users Folder under the C: drive has only the first 5 letters of my email. I want to change the folder name to a...
  4. Windows 10: How to fix user.000 folder problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: How to fix user.000 folder problem: I've recently started up my computer after a while and noticed that instead of just having a user folder, for instance "Shane", I have "Shane" and "Shane.000". All my files from "Shane" are now in "Shane.000" and I want to put them back into my normal Shane user folder and...
  5. User folder renamed with .000?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder renamed with .000?: Hi all - having an issue with a friend's (named Doug) Win10 HP laptop. He had a Windows 10 upgrade go through awhile back and since then he has two user folders - 'Doug' and 'Doug.000'. For the record, his machine only ever had one user account called Doug, which was an admin...
  6. Rename a User folder

Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  7. Rename the User’s Folder in Windows 10

Rename the User’s Folder in Windows 10: Hi, I was trying to change my username folder in my windows 10 home but I can't change it because previously I had Google backup and sync installed on my computer. I uninstalled that program and even deleted the folder from my computer. I couldn't change my username even...
  8. Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000': When I ran the Windows update v1909 it copied my user folder 'C:\Users\will' to 'C:\Users\will.000' and then deleted most of the files in 'C:\Users\will' . Consequently most of my applications can't now find the files they need - OneDrive, Outlook, etc. My PC is now useless....
  9. Rename user folder in windows 10

Rename user folder in windows 10: Got the BSOD and had to reload Windows 10. My email address starts with MNstrel@ so windows made my user folder MNstr. I want my user folder to be my name, David B........ My microsoft account has my full name. My user account has my full name. When I try to make a local...
  10. Renaming User Accounts and their folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming User Accounts and their folders: In a short while I will be purchasing a Windows 10 PC, but I am not sure if I'll be able to tell them I want to install Win10 myself or if they'll do it for me. The point is, all the software I've collected, executables and all, is stored in my present Windows 7 folder:...