Windows 10: Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM/Retail Keys

Discus and support Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM/Retail Keys in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a laptop running Windows 8 with what I believe was an OEM key however after I upgraded to Windows 10 for free it became a Windows 10 Retail Key?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JasonHe54, Sep 9, 2020.

1. JasonHe54 Win User

Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM/Retail Keys

I had a laptop running Windows 8 with what I believe was an OEM key however after I upgraded to Windows 10 for free it became a Windows 10 Retail Key? someone explain that to me? And does that mean I'm able to use the key on another device assuming I deactivate it on the current one and reactivate it on a new device?

:)

JasonHe54, Sep 9, 2020
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

Dude, go to Newegg right now and read the questions and answers tab on Windows 10 OEM. The OEM copies that are listed there DO in fact, come on an optical disc. The flash drive ONLY comes on Retail copies.

rtwjunkie, Sep 9, 2020
  3. Question On OEM Windows clean install......

"Flavors" of Windows licenses

Windows can be a little "odd" about license keys. There are at least 4 categories:
    • Retail
    • OEM
    • Volume (electronic download)
    • Corporate (no key needed)
    For guaranteed success, the license key and media should be in the same category. If you have retail media, you may not be able to install it using an OEM or Volume license key, even though the key is valid for that version of Windows. *Wtf :wtf: Apparently, this is part of Microsoft's anti-piracy scheme (i.e., all customers are guilty until proven innocent).

Static~Charge, Sep 9, 2020
  4. OneMoar Win User

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

indeed OEM's have embedded keys a OEM upgrade is for machines with OEM copies and DO NOT COME WITH A KEY! sadly many vendors confuse the two because pre-windows 10 'OEM" came with a key
    a end user should always buy a Retail OR "System builder OEM" copy when it comes to windows 10 system builder is not `OEM` you can blame microsoft for the retarded terminology screw up

it sounds like the op bought a pirated copy with no key microsoft does not ship windows 10 on optical disks .... they use flash drives

OneMoar, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM/Retail Keys - Similar Threads - OEM Retail Keys

2. Was a Free Windows 8/10 Education Key OEM or Retail?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Was a Free Windows 8/10 Education Key OEM or Retail?: I am now aware that retail/OEM version has the difference of retail being able to transfer to another computer. I received a key for free Windows 8, or 8.1, can't remember, Education while I was a college student, which I eventually upgraded to Windows 10 Education for free....
  3. Was a Free Windows 8/10 Education Key OEM or Retail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Was a Free Windows 8/10 Education Key OEM or Retail?: I am now aware that retail/OEM version has the difference of retail being able to transfer to another computer. I received a key for free Windows 8, or 8.1, can't remember, Education while I was a college student, which I eventually upgraded to Windows 10 Education for free....
  4. Was a Free Windows 8/10 Education Key OEM or Retail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 OEM or Retail

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 OEM or Retail: Is windows 10 pro available to download through media creation tool from microsoft is OEM or Retail ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-oem-or-retail/129ae35c-0304-4b10-8ef2-e9f2f63954be
  6. Retail and OEM product keys

Retail and OEM product keys: Hello there, I want to buy a product key to activate my OS. In the web I found that there are two types. One is using a retail keyquite expensive and other is using a OEM key. I further found that once you activate using a OEM key it is locked to that device while retail...
  7. Windows to retail key switched to oem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows to retail key switched to oem: So I recently built a new desktop, and I realized I had an old laptop with windows 10 on it, so I took the key from that pc and put it onto my new desktop. Everything is working great, but I am wanting to take the key off when I clone my ssd, so I can put it back on after....
  8. Windows 10 Retail or OEM

Windows 10 Retail or OEM: I am thinking of upgrading my Windows 10 Home to Pro. My PC is about 7 years old and I bought it as a bare machine together with a Windows 8 disk which I installed myself. Over the years it has upgraded and is now Windows 10 2004. At some stage I will buy a new PC and...
  9. Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?

Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?: Hello. I'm currently running Windows 10 Home with an OEM license. I need to replace my motherboard, but I can't buy the same model because it's no longer being manufactured. Since I have my Windows installation set up the way I want it, I'd like to replace my OEM product...
  10. Windows 10 Retail Pack with OEM Key

Windows 10 Retail Pack with OEM Key: I bought Windows 10 Pro Retail Pack from an online seller. Got the pack and it read "Win Pro 10 32-bit/64-bit Eng Intl USB RS" and the key card had "RETAIL" mentioned under the license key. But after installing it from the USB and entering this license key, when it got...