Windows 10: Windows 8 upgraded to 10. The I did full reset. Now asking product key to activate

Discus and support Windows 8 upgraded to 10. The I did full reset. Now asking product key to activate in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have the dell laptop which before has the windows 8 from the purchase. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 . And something happened i did the full reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Monty5764, May 2, 2021.

1. Monty5764 Win User

Windows 8 upgraded to 10. The I did full reset. Now asking product key to activate

I have the dell laptop which before has the windows 8 from the purchase. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 . And something happened i did the full reset using delete all files . Windows 10 installed everything alright but now its asking product key to activate windows 10 . What should I do now

:)

Monty5764, May 2, 2021

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, May 2, 2021
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    win 10 upgrade asking for product key

An upgrade to Windows 10 running properly will not ask for a product key. Are you sure the version on the USB is the exact same version as the previous operating system on the computer you are trying to upgrade? Pro or home; N, standard, or Single Language Version? If you continue with an upgrade that is asking for a product key, it will not activate.

A clean install will ask for a product key, and that can be skipped. Unless you have purchased a license for Windows 10 that has it's own unique product key, you should never enter a product key when upgrading or clean installing Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, May 2, 2021
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Windows 8 upgraded to 10. The I did full reset. Now asking product key to activate

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key

So make sure that you are attempting to upgrade to the Home Single Language Edition. The "about" system settings screen will tell you if it is 32-bits or 64-bits (operating system):

Windows 8 upgraded to 10. The I did full reset. Now asking product key to activate [​IMG]

Using the media creation tool, you want the matching 32-bit or 64-bit Single Language Edition:

Windows 8 upgraded to 10. The I did full reset. Now asking product key to activate [​IMG]

From the Windows 10 ISO download site, it's just listed as Single Language Edition:

Doing an upgrade to the correct edition Anniversary Update should not ask for a product key.

NavyLCDR, May 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 8 upgraded to 10. The I did full reset. Now asking product key to activate - Similar Threads - upgraded did full

2. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  3. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  4. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Did the free upgrade to 11 and now it's asking for activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Did the free upgrade to 11 and now it's asking for activation: At least 4 or 5 months ago I upgraded from Windows 10 to the free upgrade of Windows 11. Everything has been going great and then all of the sudden today it starts saying it isn't activated. Put a nice watermark on the screen during a work Zoom meeting. I don't have a key for...
  6. Did the free upgrade to 11 and now it's asking for activation

Did the free upgrade to 11 and now it's asking for activation: At least 4 or 5 months ago I upgraded from Windows 10 to the free upgrade of Windows 11. Everything has been going great and then all of the sudden today it starts saying it isn't activated. Put a nice watermark on the screen during a work Zoom meeting. I don't have a key for...
  7. Did a full reset now it asks for login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Did a full reset now it asks for login: So we have too many desktops running around this house. None of us are very good at operating systems, however. I being Dad decided I would gift an HP Pavilion all in one to a college student needing a computer. I back uped all our pictures and docs on an external hard drive....
  8. Did a full reset now it asks for login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Did a full reset now it asks for login: So we have too many desktops running around this house. None of us are very good at operating systems, however. I being Dad decided I would gift an HP Pavilion all in one to a college student needing a computer. I back uped all our pictures and docs on an external hard drive....
  9. Did a full reset now it asks for login

10. Did not ask for the product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Did not ask for the product key: Hi recently the laptop which i had, lenovo ideapad got stuck on loading screen and i tried to reinstall windows 10 using an external usb from microsoft's website. Prepared the usb using a macbook as that was the only other computer i had. Install completed even though it...