Windows 10: Windows: 8192 character command line length limit

Discus and support Windows: 8192 character command line length limit in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Dear experts, do we have some news about when the current 8192 character command line length limit will be removed? Can one expect to have a Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NabilGhodbane, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Windows: 8192 character command line length limit

Dear experts,

do we have some news about when the current 8192 character command line length limit will be removed?

Can one expect to have a Windows distribution which allows the user to set environment variables likePATH or PYTHONPATH which length can be larger than the current OS limitation set to 8192 characters?

Thanks for the feedback!

***moved on english forum***

:)

NabilGhodbane, Feb 14, 2020
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile Windows: 8192 character command line length limit :)

3. ryanly Win User
    GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Current /? (-?) or / help (-help) parameter is invalid

ryanly, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Windows: 8192 character command line length limit

What is the String limit for SetX command in windows 7 and above?

The limit you refer to is not 1024 bytes, the bug was specific to two old versions of Windows XP, server 2003.

But your referring to Windows 7, The Windows API has many functions that also have Unicode versions to permit an extended-length path for a maximum total path length of 32,767 characters.

Reference : setx

and Here : SetEnvironmentVariable function (winbase.h) - Win32 apps

In a batch file, the total length of the following command line that you use in the batch file cannot contain more than either 2047 or 8191 characters

so that helps.

AnthonyBaratta1, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows: 8192 character command line length limit

1. Windows: 8192 character command line length limit - Similar Threads - 8192 character command

2. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  3. How to overcome maximum length of 259 characters in Windows Run (Win+R) commands?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to overcome maximum length of 259 characters in Windows Run (Win+R) commands?: I pass onenote-links to win+r. However, some of them are longer than 259 characters and are cutted off. Consequently, they cannot be opened. I already set the LongPathsEnabled value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem from 0 to 1 and...
  4. Video Editor - is there a limit on the length of a video?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video Editor - is there a limit on the length of a video?: When I insert video clips into the main video, it automatically shortens the length of the video clip I inserted. How can I keep the original length of the video clips when inserting them into my main video?...
  5. Weird character in command line after 1909 update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird character in command line after 1909 update.: After doing the 1909 update ive noticed that when i do the net user command it is showing a weird arrow in the password set/expires/changeable field (example https://imgur.com/199w90y ) checked on my personal laptop which also is 1909 and it also has this, both are set for...
  6. Limited File Name Length Problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Limited File Name Length Problems: Windows 10. I am trying to rename a file with a name that is 92 characters long (letters, numbers, and hyphens). I am copying the name from a file folder name and attempting to past that name as the rename for a jpeg. It cuts off the last thirty Characters. I tried typing the...
  7. Path length limit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Path length limit: I want to install Python. Should I disable the path length limit? Are there any negatives to doing so? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/path-length-limit/412d48cd-7ddf-435a-9935-cf51af16f8a4
  8. Windows Command-Line: The Evolution of the Windows Command-Line

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Command-Line: The Evolution of the Windows Command-Line: Welcome to the second post in this "Windows Command-Line" series. In this post we'll discuss some of the background & history behind the Windows Command-Line. Specifically, we’ll explore its humble origins in MS-DOS, to its modern-day incarnation supporting tools like...
  9. Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS: Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 Redstone New policy integrated into the latest preview build [img] Windows 10 build 14352, a preview version of the upcoming Anniversary Update (also known as Redstone), comes with an...
  10. The length of the selection line in the Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    The length of the selection line in the Windows Explorer: Sorry for my English. If you can, please tell me the solution. In Windows Explorer, the selection line (list view) depends on the length of the file or folder. In Windows 10, the selection line does not depend on the length of the file or folder, it is always the same. Can I...