Windows 10: Windows 9 - both Metro and Desktop working together

Discus and support Windows 9 - both Metro and Desktop working together in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Seems fairly obvious to me that there are people out there who want the desktop while others like the idea of what metro can theoretically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jun 10, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 9 - both Metro and Desktop working together

Hi there

Seems fairly obvious to me that there are people out there who want the desktop while others like the idea of what metro can theoretically bring to the table -- although I think most would like these apps to be available in re-sizeable windows too rather than in fixed 50%, 25% etc screen sizes.

I'm sure some of these apps will improve a lot from the rather rubbishy selection we have currently - a problem is that with Windows changing its direction nobody quite wants to spend a lot of time developing these if the whole code and API need to be changed.

Another problem is that for desktop users there's no "official" way to pin Metro apps to the desktop or add them to a cascading menu so integrating these for desktop users is a pain as a desktop user essentially has to leave the desktop environment to launch these.
    A few can be put on the quick launch toolbar but that's not always a satisfactory solution - especially if you want Cascading menus.

Anyway by using Custom toolbars in Windows 8.1 I've managed to create a cascading menu containing a mix of standard and metro applications and also I've shown how to pin these to the desktop. No 3rd party apps or registry hacks are needed and the toolbar can be saved as a file so you don't have to re-create again if you re-install windows or get a new computer.

If Windows 9 DOES bring back the classic menu again then I hope it WILL incorporate Metro and non Metro apps as I've done on the custom toolbar.

For screenshots and how this is done please read my thread on W8 Forum

http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...ding-menu.html

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 10, 2014
  2. joerango Win User

Remote Desktop App not working

I am using the non-metro (old-style) Remote Desktop client to remotely access a VirtualBox VM (using the remote display option). This works perfectly fine. I am not able to use the new Remote Desktop Metro app to connect to the same machine.

I am running Windows 10 home on my client machine. To summarize: The server is perfectly fine and it works well with the old remote desktop client application. My problem is with the new Remote Desktop App. It stays on 'Initiating remote connection' then
    fails with the error 'Can't connect to remote PC'. I have tried both version of the metro app, the one that came with windows 10 and the new preview version. Both don't work.

What's wrong with the new metro style RDP client?

joerango, Jun 10, 2014
  3. rgsiii Win User
    Windows Phone Desktop App Preview 2 does not see my phone

For another reason, I rebooted my system.

After the reboot, both the Metro and the Desktop versions are working now.

rgsiii, Jun 10, 2014
Thema:

Windows 9 - both Metro and Desktop working together

1. Windows 9 - both Metro and Desktop working together - Similar Threads - both Metro Desktop

2. Resetting both C and D drive together

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resetting both C and D drive together: Hi, recently i tried to reset my pc for the first time. After resetting the pc, i found that only C drive was formatted and the personal files inside D drive was still there remain untouched.I have two drive in my pc which is C and D Drive, if i want to perform reset on both...
  3. Resetting both C and D drive together

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting both C and D drive together: Hi, recently i tried to reset my pc for the first time. After resetting the pc, i found that only C drive was formatted and the personal files inside D drive was still there remain untouched.I have two drive in my pc which is C and D Drive, if i want to perform reset on both...
  4. Resetting both C and D drive together

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting both C and D drive together: Hi, I wanted to clean my pc so i decided to reset it, removing personal files along it. But after resetting the pc, i found that only C drive was formatted and the personal files inside D drive was still there remain untouched.I have two drive in my pc which is C and D Drive,...
  5. Remote Mic not working in Metro Version of Remote Desktop

Remote Mic not working in Metro Version of Remote Desktop: I am trying to remotely manage the systems required to livestream our church service from home. I have a computer with Windows 10 Pro at the church. It is hard-wired to our sound-board, through a mic jack. When I'm at church operating the computer directly, everything...
  6. Shortcuts to Metro Apps on Desktop

Shortcuts to Metro Apps on Desktop: I'm not at home with access to Windows 10. Does anyone know if this still works with Windows 10? Launch any Modern app from desktop without going to Metro screen 31336
  7. Windows 9 Concept Makes Both the Desktop and the Start Screen Really Beautiful

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Concept Makes Both the Desktop and the Start Screen Really Beautiful: It’s pretty clear that users expect a major visual revamp in Windows 9 and the plethora of concepts that reach the web these days are living proof that Microsoft must bring us improvements for both the desktop and the controversial touch screen. This concept created by...
  8. Metro bootloader not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Metro bootloader not working.: I have a dual boot system, 7x64 pro and 10x64 pro. Everything works fine if I use the Legacy bootloader. If I switch it to the metro bootloader, using EasyBCD, the system boots directly into W10 without ever showing a bootloader screen. [img] Anyone have a clue how to...
  9. Metro 2.0 Not Yet Ready in Windows 9, Full Focus on the...

in Windows 10 News
    Metro 2.0 Not Yet Ready in Windows 9, Full Focus on the...: Now it’s a sure thing that Microsoft is going to significantly improve the desktop in Windows 9, but according to sources that revealed some of the other features to be part of this release, the Metro interface is also expected to get a major overhaul as well. The...
  10. Modern Design and Evolution: Windows 9 Concept Mixes the Desktop and the Metro UI

in Windows 10 News
    Modern Design and Evolution: Windows 9 Concept Mixes the Desktop and the Metro UI: Windows 8 was pretty much a flop, Windows 8.1 fixed a few issues but still fails to impress, so it’s no surprise that all eyes are on the upcoming Windows 9 that’s supposed to debut sometime in 2015. According to the limited information we have at this point, Windows 9 is...