Windows 10: Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Discus and support Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 9 is work in progress at Microsoft and new rumors coming via Russian leaker WZor reveal some pretty interesting tidbits about this fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jul 6, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

More

:)

labeeman, Jul 6, 2014

2. new instances of file explorer have a copy of the current explorer settings not those from the quick launch icon

A quick launch file explorer icon starts FE without file preview. If file preview is activated and then a new instance of FE is started from the QL bar, that instance has file preview activated. How can I make all new instances of FE start with the original
    icon settings?

Stephen_Ford, Jul 6, 2014
  3. Microsoft Insider page won't let me download Windows 10 for PC

Microsoft has temporarily disabled new downloads from the Windows Insider page until the official launch of Windows 10 in 1 and a half week, after the operating system officially launches you'll be able to download new insider previews.

Randomalianfromvietnam, Jul 6, 2014
  4. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

It sounds like your Windows 9 license/product code will be tied to your Live ID account.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/24515...this-fall.html
    It's no longer tied to the hardware its installed on. It's yours to move from device to device, providing you only install it on one device at a time. All rumors I know but interesting never the less.

alphanumeric, Jul 8, 2014
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I guess that means no more local accounts.

Ztruker, Jul 9, 2014
  6. I guess so yeah? Hard to say really at this point though. It will be interesting for those that steadfastly refuse to use a Live ID. No biggy for me as I already use mine on all my PC's.

alphanumeric, Jul 9, 2014
  7. Rickkins Win User
    Aka the death knell for microsoft. I will never have accept a "live id" account, don't want it, won't accept it, not now, not ever.

My guess is tho, that they will have an option for those who don't want and/or refuse to accept such nonsense.

Rickkins, Jul 9, 2014
  8. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

To each his own. What you call nonsense is what I regard as a great feature. And I'm not alone. Windows 7 will still be supported by Microsoft for years to come so you and others like you should be OK. *Tongue

Kidding aside, while it wouldn't bother me if they did this I can see it being a bone of contention for some. It may only apply if you actually buy Windows 9 though the store. An OEM PC with Windows pre installed may be a different scenario, who knows though. Its just a rumor at this point. Once more info becomes available, if it does become fact, then we'll have to see what the ins and outs of it is.

9. echrada Win User
    The EEC will never go for that. It will be found to be an infringement of somebody's human rights somewhere.......

echrada, Jul 9, 2014
  10. eatup Win User
    In Windows 8, I usually pull out the ethernet cable at the step where it asks me my LiveID account. Going back a step and foward again, it no longer asks me for a Live account (no internet detected), but lets me create a local one.

Just like how they removed the 30-days grace period in 8 (with 7 you can re-arm a few times), in 9, I don't think creating a local account will even be an option [like the above trick] since you're going to have to activate it thru the store anyways...

eatup, Jul 9, 2014
  11. How so? It's no different that signing up for cable TV, or a cell phone service. Your ISP has all or even more info than what your giving to Microsoft. I'm not sure if everybody is aware of this, the password you setup with your Live ID does not have to be the password to the e-mail account you use for the Live ID. One has nothing to do with the other. Microsoft isn't going to get access to your e-mail account and read your e-mail. You can also turn off the OneDrive Sync.

12. echrada Win User
    The fact that one would not have a choice. Look what they did to MS with IE, in Europe MS had to offer the user a choice of browsers, not only IE.

echrada, Jul 13, 2014
  13. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Hardly the same thing? You have a choice, buy or don't buy a Windows operating system. I'm not trying to be smart @ss, but I don't see how this is an infringement on any bodies human rights. Like I said, its no different than a cell phone contract, or buying cable TV etc. IMHO that is.

alphanumeric, Jul 13, 2014
  14. Lebon14 Win User
    I would be lying if I said that I liked that new activation method.
    Worst come to worse, you can create a LiveID (or an Hotmail, etc etc) that you are going to use solely for that and not necessarily your email account. Because if Win9 is going to please, that's what I'm going to do (and if it's going to have that activation method).

Let's be honnest here. It's not going to stop pirates, especially if you are going to offer alternate activations for Enterprises.

Lebon14, Jul 14, 2014
  15. If your reluctant to use a Live ID and this new activation happens, its just going to make things worse for you. When I say "you" I'm not referring to any one forum member, just those that don't want to use a Live ID. I don't get the "I don't want to give them my e-mail address" thing? It's just the address, your not giving them the e-mail address and the password so Microsoft isn't going to be reading your e-mail. Anyway, I do respect peoples right to choice and if you don't want to use a Live ID don't, that's fine. Just keep in mind the pit falls your creating for your self when you do it. Now I'm not saying I like or dislike this proposed new activation method. Its just rumors anyway. From the sounds of it, it is not going to be an issue for me personally. Being an MVP I use my Live ID for more than just my PC logon. It's tied to the services etc I get from Microsoft as an MVP. For me it would really complicate things if I went out of my way to try and avoid using it. On the plus side it greatly simplifies things on a reinstall as a lot of my custom settings and configurations are restored in the background via the sync function. All I can say is it works very well for me. As always YMMV.

alphanumeric, Jul 14, 2014
Thema:

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

1. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor - Similar Threads - Preview Launch Activation

2. only 1 year active win 10 ... rumors or truth?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    only 1 year active win 10 ... rumors or truth?: hello I heard the windows 7 users get only 1 year free active win 10 is that true ? I heard from more than 1 person that's why I m suspicious I have windows 7 sp1 64bit home basic do I get activation for life or 1 year? I already googled this but no clear answer...
  3. Windows 9 preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 preview: Hello Is there going to be a windows 9 public preview this fall? Thanks Tyler 1664
  4. Another Rumor about the Win 9 Preview release date

in Windows 10 News
    Another Rumor about the Win 9 Preview release date: Microsoft to Launch Windows 9 Preview in February 2015 – Rumor More: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...r-442433.shtml 1572
  5. Windows 9 Preview Could Leak After September 15 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview Could Leak After September 15 – Rumor: Information that reached the web this week has revealed that Microsoft is planning a press event in late September to introduce the new Windows 9 Preview and thus break the news on a project that’s eagerly-awaited by all company enthusiasts. Even though Redmond is very...
  6. Windows 9 Preview to Be Released for Download Later This Year

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview to Be Released for Download Later This Year: Windows 9 is most likely the hottest project currently prepared by Microsoft at this point and even though the company says absolutely nothing about it, we still have quite a lot of details about the operating system that's expected to revamp Redmond's modern platform. Now...
  7. Windows 9 rumors freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 rumors freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake: With Windows 9 rumored to be coming out early next year, there's little reason for businesses just transitioning off Windows XP to ever deploy Windows 8, experts say. With a user learning curve, hardware update, and apps compatibility all posing potential hurdles to...
  8. Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.

in Windows 10 News
    Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.: Steve Ballmer is stepping down in 12 months or less, so it’s time for the wild Microsoft-related speculation to begin! There’s already been talk on a Russian message board about the company’s plans for Windows 9 and even Windows 10. A user calling himself WZOR had a few...
  9. Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Preview: Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Developer Preview Release With Social Engineering We’re seeing schemes that are taking advantage of the buzz around the upcoming developer preview release of Windows™ 9 this September. One of the threats we saw was found using...
  10. Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor: Windows 9 is Microsoft’s next big project in the OS industry, with some people close to the development plans indicating that it’s very likely to debut in early 2015. But a new report released by Russian Windows leaker WZor and coming via myce.com claims that Windows 9 is...