Windows 10: Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Discus and support Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi there. What happens if I just want a SECURE system that runs locally with NO outside / internet connections at all -- OK I'll accept a ONE TIME... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Hi there.

What happens if I just want a SECURE system that runs locally with NO outside / internet connections at all -- OK I'll accept a ONE TIME activation but that's it --I don't want any Ms Id's or things like that.

Some systems need to be TOTALLY SECURE and have no outside connections whatsoever - including email accounts etc. I have one where Data still has to be transferred via "FOOTNET" --i.e secure copy to a certified device, remove it and then mount on to another different server.

Guess it's going to be Linux -- looking more and more likely these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 14, 2014
  2. mousegolf Win User

I think it's simply a speculation. There isn't any hard evidence from any source on the Internet about W9, not even Tech Net.

mousegolf, Jul 14, 2014
  3. Ztruker Win User
    I use the same userid and password on all my home computers, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8. I also share everything between all of them. Having to use a different userid for Win 9 would make sharing more difficult I believe so I would have to find a way around that.

I like the idea of sync keeping customization and settings for easy reinstall but I don't do that very often so that is not much of an incentive.

Ztruker, Jul 15, 2014
  4. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

If I go to C:\Users my user folder is labeled Kerry, not L: kerry.****@nowhere.com. I had no problems sharing folders between 7 and 8 on my home network. It's been a while but I don't remember having to do anything special to get it all to work.

One nice feature of the sync function is if I bookmark a site on one PC it gets added to my favorites on my other PC's. This time of year I'm back and forth between my laptop and my desktop. I may even log in on my wife's laptop now and then.

alphanumeric, Jul 15, 2014
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Can you have a local and MS account on the same computer? I'd like to play with it but not if it's going to cause me any grief.

Ztruker, Jul 15, 2014
  6. I think so, you can switch from one to the other, and back again, so having one of each shouldn't be an issue. I haven't tried it myself on Windows 8.1 though.

alphanumeric, Jul 15, 2014
  7. Phone Man Win User
    I have both a MS ID account and a Local account on my w8.1 system and no problem switching between them.

Jim

Phone Man, Jul 15, 2014
  8. Ztruker Win User

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

I'll do an Acronis backup then give it a try.

Thanks

Ztruker, Jul 16, 2014
  9. Tepid Win User
    There is no problem with the 2 separate accounts.
    One Live Account, one Local Account or 50 each. Doesn't matter.
    The reason for the Live ID Account is for synch across devices and Apps purchasing
    Also, accessing email, onedrive and other services easier, without having to log in 50 million times.
    However, you can still just use your Local Account and login to the store with your Live ID and still install them.
    Even if you bought them once before.
    It's all tied to the Live ID.

Logging in with the Live ID has many advantages. And not many disadvantages.
    In fact, I don't really know of any disadvantages.

When I login and change something, (background, accent color, passwords, etc.)
    I don't have to go to my other system and do it all over again, it's synched and done.
    It's not only for restore purposes.

I buy and app or install a free one on my desktop,
    I got to my tablet and log in, on the start screen there is the tile with a down arrow
    tap the tile, downloaded, installed and done. I don't waste time going out searching for it again.

The future is now, it's not coming, it's here.
    If you are really trying to stay off the grid, don't connect any pc to the internet ever.
    Doesn't matter if it is Linux or not. Once you connect and start using it, your out there, regardless.

MS is so under a microscope it is not even funny, still to this day. Far more than Google or Apple ever has been.
    Want to talk about infringements? Do you have a Facebook account? Use any Google Services?
    Please, MS doesn't hold a flickering candle to them.

Tepid, Jul 20, 2014
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Sorry, thought I had updated this. I created a MS login which works fine, then enabled UAC at lowest level and was able to run Modern Apps and connect to the App Store.

I don't understand why MS insists on UAC being enabled before Modern Apps or the App store can be used, but then I have not seen a single App that I want to use. I still don't like the Modern desktop or the flat, ugly tiles.

As long as Ms continues to allow those of us who don't like the Modern stuff to use a normal Desktop and Start button then all is well. Take that away and I will not use that OS, ever.

My tablet is a Lenovo running Android, my cell phone is a Start Trek Communicator. My Laptop runs Windows 8.1.1 but I don't want things in sync between it and my Desktop. I use them for different reasons so want the desktop and installed apps to be different as well.

Ztruker, Jul 21, 2014
  11. I think you know this but I'll mention it anyway. You can turn sync off completely or just parts of it. For example I don't sync my tile layout, appearance, or desktop personalization between my laptop and desktop PC. The screen sizes are different so my tiles will get shuffled each time I switch from one to the other. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on. You can also back up your settings for that device without syncing it to any other device. There is a lot of customization/choices in the sync settings. My laptop and desktop setup are distinctly different. Just something to think about.

alphanumeric, Jul 21, 2014
  12. I have a lot of contracts that have secure Windows Boxes off the network (there are thousands of reasons for this, and many of you would be glad I am a supporter of keeping them this way). I hope MS does not forget about these machines (I hope MS is trolling these forums). We have had the hardest time getting these machines moved from Windows XP to Windows 7. I know we don't need a new nightmares of Windows 7 to Windows 9 and now there is no way to use it off networks. MS please, please, please remember the corp/enterprise world we need security, we need local accounts, etc. -WS

WindowsStar, Jul 28, 2014
  13. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Disadvantages: No internet service, in an area with no service, in a foreign country with no service, secure machine (i.e. not connected to the internet, {medical information etc.}), password reset, issues with NIC (any wired or wireless) require local log in, repairs, viruses, etc. etc. etc. the list is huge on why Live ID is not a great way to solve the issue of settings, single logon etc. MS just needs to have options. Live ID for those that want it and can use it no Live ID for those that need security etc. -WS

WindowsStar, Jul 28, 2014
  14. You can still log in with a Live ID with no Internet connection. I just unplugged my LAN cable ,rebooted, and had no issues or warnings when I logged in with my Live ID.

alphanumeric, Jul 28, 2014
  15. Phone Man Win User
    The RUMORS never said you can't have a local account. It just said you need a MS ID to activate Windows 9. It is just a RUMOR for now but does give us something to talk about. Don't you need internet access to activate Windows 7 & 8 ???

Jim

Phone Man, Jul 29, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor - Similar Threads - Preview Launch Activation

2. only 1 year active win 10 ... rumors or truth?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    only 1 year active win 10 ... rumors or truth?: hello I heard the windows 7 users get only 1 year free active win 10 is that true ? I heard from more than 1 person that's why I m suspicious I have windows 7 sp1 64bit home basic do I get activation for life or 1 year? I already googled this but no clear answer...
  3. Windows 9 preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 preview: Hello Is there going to be a windows 9 public preview this fall? Thanks Tyler 1664
  4. Another Rumor about the Win 9 Preview release date

in Windows 10 News
    Another Rumor about the Win 9 Preview release date: Microsoft to Launch Windows 9 Preview in February 2015 – Rumor More: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...r-442433.shtml 1572
  5. Windows 9 Preview Could Leak After September 15 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview Could Leak After September 15 – Rumor: Information that reached the web this week has revealed that Microsoft is planning a press event in late September to introduce the new Windows 9 Preview and thus break the news on a project that’s eagerly-awaited by all company enthusiasts. Even though Redmond is very...
  6. Windows 9 Preview to Be Released for Download Later This Year

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview to Be Released for Download Later This Year: Windows 9 is most likely the hottest project currently prepared by Microsoft at this point and even though the company says absolutely nothing about it, we still have quite a lot of details about the operating system that's expected to revamp Redmond's modern platform. Now...
  7. Windows 9 rumors freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 rumors freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake: With Windows 9 rumored to be coming out early next year, there's little reason for businesses just transitioning off Windows XP to ever deploy Windows 8, experts say. With a user learning curve, hardware update, and apps compatibility all posing potential hurdles to...
  8. Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.

in Windows 10 News
    Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.: Steve Ballmer is stepping down in 12 months or less, so it’s time for the wild Microsoft-related speculation to begin! There’s already been talk on a Russian message board about the company’s plans for Windows 9 and even Windows 10. A user calling himself WZOR had a few...
  9. Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Preview: Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Developer Preview Release With Social Engineering We’re seeing schemes that are taking advantage of the buzz around the upcoming developer preview release of Windows™ 9 this September. One of the threats we saw was found using...
  10. Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor: Windows 9 is Microsoft’s next big project in the OS industry, with some people close to the development plans indicating that it’s very likely to debut in early 2015. But a new report released by Russian Windows leaker WZor and coming via myce.com claims that Windows 9 is...