Windows 10: Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Discus and support Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi there Can you set the Microsoft account to be like a "bog standard" user and keep your local account as an admin account --that way if you forget... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Hi there
    Can you set the Microsoft account to be like a "bog standard" user and keep your local account as an admin account --that way if you forget which account you are under you will get reminded if you try and perform an admin function when not using the local account.

It's quite easy to forget which account you are using if you have more than one -- it really isn't that difficult to do !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 30, 2014

2. The options for account type are Standard and Administrator. Set your background color to RED for your admin account and you won't forget which account your using. *Wink

alphanumeric, Jul 30, 2014
  3. But this is after you have a WORKING account. What if I need to install and setup a machine in a secure area, with NO internet? There is no outside world connection and the machine goes in and does not come out all for security. How do you install Windows 9 if there are no local accounts. This is where I can see Microsoft is forgetting that there are many many system out there that HAVE to have local accounts. Again MS I hope you are reading these forums and taking notes. -WS

WindowsStar, Sep 8, 2014
  4. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

You're still going to have to activate online or by phone anyway, so you may as well setup a Live ID. I haven't tested it, but you can likely type in a bogus e-mail address and password during setup, and still log in even without setting up an official live ID. You'll likely get a nag from the action center to authenticate your ID/PC and activate windows. There is a spot during the Install right after you enter your Live ID where it wants a security code to verify that PC, you can click "I can't do this right now" and just continue on. The code is sent to your e-mail address and if you don't have anther PC to receive it on, that's how you finish the Install. Latter on you go to the action center and enter the code. Once you do that, that PC can sync with your live ID One drive settings etc. I've gone months and months in the past without ever entering that code and had full use of that Windows Install.

Your other option may be to use Windows 8 Enterprise, which may have options in it to do what you want.

alphanumeric, Sep 8, 2014
  5. Rickkins Win User
    Yanno, it would really behoove them NOT to do anything that is gonna piss off a whole bunch of people. They desperately need 9 to be a raging success, and forcing people to sign up for this 'live id' nonsense is not gonna go over well.

Maybe, it would be better to wait for 10 to implement such nonsense....

Rickkins, Sep 8, 2014
  6. I hope so. I have a hotmail account, but I use it for junk. I don't want that dictating my use of Windows. Even Metro apps shouldn't require it in Windows 8x.

And what about corporations? They would want local IDs.

Jody Thornton, Sep 8, 2014
  7. To me that attitude is just giving in. If I want to sync settings between machines, I can setup a domain controller. If I decide to use Metro apps, like the Mail app, I don't want to sign up with a Microsoft account, if I want to use another provider. And just because other corps do it? That's why people (some of us anyway) have left Google Mail and went to different providers.

I understand about licensing conditions, and no one is forcing you to sign up, but in a way they are. If I am used to a Windows environment, I may be happy with the version I have, but then when support runs out, I have to go to a new version. So you are in a way being forced into the new activation model in you need to stay with Windows.

Besides, watch corporate users kick up a storm. If they can, then so can I.

8. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Hmmm - I really don't think there will be a Windows 10. Maybe a Win365, but not 10.

9. echrada Win User
    I agree everything points in that direction.

echrada, Sep 8, 2014
  10. Do you guys and girls give false names and addresses when you sign up for cable, Internet, or phone service?

I'm sure I already mentioned this but. the e-mail address you use for your live ID can be any e-mail address you want. It doesn't have to be a Microsoft Hotmail e-mail etc. And the Live ID password can be anything you want. It's not the password for the e-mail account you use, so Microsoft is not going to gain access to your e-mail. The only e-mail you get sent from Microsoft is to do with your Live ID. And those are just security notices for stuff like if you changed your password or linking a PC to your account.

alphanumeric, Sep 8, 2014
  11. BRU
    bru Win User
    Lots of Win 9 discussions so not sure where to put this but I'll start here.

So far everything I've read talks about new "features" such as the change to the Start menu (or screen or whatever it is called). On my Win 8.1 I only use desktop and easily have gotten along without a Win 7 type Start button. I doubt I would move to 9 for just the Start menu changes. So what, if any, "under the hood" improvements are known about with Win 9 at this point?

Everyone talked about improvements to 8 (and 8.1) vs. 7 in terms of performance, but I really never noticed. Frankly my Win 7 machines start up and shut down as fast or faster than my 8.1. I'm sure there are improvements that make 8.1 run better but they haven't hit me in the face as a casual user.

Just trying to decide if upgrading any of my machines would be worth it. I had hoped they would offer free upgrades but that doesn't seem likely.

edit: I realize I am jumping the gun by asking this at this pint but maybe some have an idea of real improvements.

12. wakadoo Win User
    the start menu seems to be the "biggie" for a lot of users.

its not much of an issue on a desktop for me weather its a start menu or a metro style tile menu, but it is when it comes to my tablet, I cant even imagine trying to use a windows 7 style start menu on an 8" tablet.

someone actually said to me " you just need to carry a stylus", really, its like having a netbook and having to carry a mouse..

I hope they incorporate both now they have got us used to both, give users a choice, simple.

also, does anyone think that windows 9 install will grow in size by much, one of my tablets is already gasping for room with not much more than the op system on it.

wakadoo, Sep 9, 2014
  13. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

There is one feature can end up being a drawback on devices with limited storage. Right now, even if you install just Core, all the files needed for the Pro features are also installed. They may be compressed, I don't know, but they are there waiting to be enabled. This lets you use the Add Features to upgrade to Pro without having to supply any install media. The extra features just get installed or unlocked. This will make the basic install footprint bigger than it normally would be for a Core Install. Which is what most OEM PC's likely ship with. Mu guess is Windows 9's footprint will be even bigger. Just a guess at this point though.

alphanumeric, Sep 9, 2014
  14. The "Cloud" could be useful (for a change) if those extra features were stored there, instead of on the device.
    You'd only need a few bytes locally to remember licensing details and installation rights.

It would chew up users' data allowances.

IMO, it's axiomatic; if users want more features, they will have to accept some trade off.

lehnerus2000, Sep 10, 2014
  15. I like it the way it is. I upgraded my laptop from Core to Pro when I got it with one of my TechNet keys. It didn't take very long at all. I'm sure it would have been a long haul if all the files would have had to have been downloaded from Microsoft first. If your already running Pro it won't matter anyway. Also If you look though the Turn Windows Features On or Off, you'll see a lot of unchecked boxes. The files for those features are sitting idle somewhere on your drive also. There isn't much you can do about it but that's also where some of the large OS footprint comes from. It's done so your not prompted to insert the Windows 8 DVD, that you don't have or can't remember where you put it, when you want to enable a feature.

alphanumeric, Sep 10, 2014
Thema:

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

1. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor - Similar Threads - Preview Launch Activation

2. only 1 year active win 10 ... rumors or truth?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    only 1 year active win 10 ... rumors or truth?: hello I heard the windows 7 users get only 1 year free active win 10 is that true ? I heard from more than 1 person that's why I m suspicious I have windows 7 sp1 64bit home basic do I get activation for life or 1 year? I already googled this but no clear answer...
  3. Windows 9 preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 preview: Hello Is there going to be a windows 9 public preview this fall? Thanks Tyler 1664
  4. Another Rumor about the Win 9 Preview release date

in Windows 10 News
    Another Rumor about the Win 9 Preview release date: Microsoft to Launch Windows 9 Preview in February 2015 – Rumor More: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...r-442433.shtml 1572
  5. Windows 9 Preview Could Leak After September 15 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview Could Leak After September 15 – Rumor: Information that reached the web this week has revealed that Microsoft is planning a press event in late September to introduce the new Windows 9 Preview and thus break the news on a project that’s eagerly-awaited by all company enthusiasts. Even though Redmond is very...
  6. Windows 9 Preview to Be Released for Download Later This Year

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview to Be Released for Download Later This Year: Windows 9 is most likely the hottest project currently prepared by Microsoft at this point and even though the company says absolutely nothing about it, we still have quite a lot of details about the operating system that's expected to revamp Redmond's modern platform. Now...
  7. Windows 9 rumors freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 rumors freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake: With Windows 9 rumored to be coming out early next year, there's little reason for businesses just transitioning off Windows XP to ever deploy Windows 8, experts say. With a user learning curve, hardware update, and apps compatibility all posing potential hurdles to...
  8. Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.

in Windows 10 News
    Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.: Steve Ballmer is stepping down in 12 months or less, so it’s time for the wild Microsoft-related speculation to begin! There’s already been talk on a Russian message board about the company’s plans for Windows 9 and even Windows 10. A user calling himself WZOR had a few...
  9. Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Preview: Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Developer Preview Release With Social Engineering We’re seeing schemes that are taking advantage of the buzz around the upcoming developer preview release of Windows™ 9 this September. One of the threats we saw was found using...
  10. Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor: Windows 9 is Microsoft’s next big project in the OS industry, with some people close to the development plans indicating that it’s very likely to debut in early 2015. But a new report released by Russian Windows leaker WZor and coming via myce.com claims that Windows 9 is...