Windows 10: Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Discus and support Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I like it the way it is. I upgraded my laptop from Core to Pro when I got it with one of my TechNet keys. It didn't take very long at all. I'm sure it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

I meant that mobile devices with their limited storage might benefit.

Desktops and laptops normally have oodles of storage space, in comparison.

Sure.
    MS Office 2007 does the same thing (I haven't seen what the later versions do).

lehnerus2000, Sep 10, 2014

2. @ lehnerus2000, yes I agree. For devices with limited storage a smaller install footprint would be beneficial. Personally I'd rather have the install media/upgrade media on a USB thumb drive or SD card than in the cloud. Each has advantages and disadvantages though. Physical media can be lost or misplaced. On the other hand if you have a slow connection or intermittent connection then doing a big upgrade from the Cloud could be an issue.

alphanumeric, Sep 10, 2014
  3. unifex Win User
    No, but if they weren't checking my ID I would. However, they need to check my credit and make sure I keep paying for their services, so it's logical for them to check my ID.

The difference with the OS is that it's a product, not a subscription service. I know they are trying to change this, but personally I will not go for it unless absolutely necessary. A PC is a tool, it's not a virtual store. Internet is also a tool, which I do use sometimes, but I don't see why do I have to be permanently connected to it. Of course, in reality I am connected most of the time, but certainly not 24/7.

Finally, it seems rather strange to demand this LiveID stuff just for the one-time activation purposes. I believe it actually costs them money to keep track of all those accounts. I am sure I do have several already - they do require you to have one when you want to download something from their site, like an OS preview for example. And every time I have to do that - I create a new one, since I can't be bothered to remember my password or which email address I gave them last time (let alone, when the last time actually was). But, it'll be what it'll be ...

unifex, Sep 10, 2014
  4. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Activation isn't a one time deal. Your PC rechecks activation status over and over again as you use it. There is more to the Windows Live ID than just activation. If you want to use the Windows Store and Apps you need one. It's also linked to One Drive etc. Anyway, there are advantages and disadvantages to doing it that way. If they actually do it that is. It's not going to impact me, but its going to complicate things for some that resist this change. I get that some don't want to use a Live ID, I just don't get some of the resining behind that choice. That's life I guess.

alphanumeric, Sep 10, 2014
  5. unifex Win User
    Well, for me it is a one-time deal. If the PC is not connected to the internet then it won't recheck anything. Moreover, even if it does so when the PC is connected, it does so quietly, I don't have to enter the LiveID or password again if I'm not mistaken. Now, I do not want to use the Store or Apps, I see no point in full-screen Metro Apps, and even if there is some improvement and they don't take the full screen now, they are still basically geared towards touch and I am using a desktop and not a tablet. In any case, I don't know of anything that I need to do that would require one of those apps. I don't use One Drive either. I just don't need it, I have plenty of storage space and I have no need for accessing the files on my PC while away from home. That's the reasoning - if I don't need any of the services linked to the LiveID, then I don't need the LiveID.

unifex, Sep 10, 2014
  6. Why make it easy for for "ID Pirating" corporations (and cyber-criminals) to vacuum up your personal info?

Adobe, Apple, Google, MS and Sony (just to name a few) have proven track records of losing customer info to hackers.

Personally I object to having to sign up, just so they can sell the info to advertisers or "accidentally" lose it to criminals.
    It must generate astronomical ROI (profits) for companies to bother doing it.

If people are going to use dodgy info for sign ups, I suggest using the names "Larry Page" or "Mark Zuckerberg". *Wink

lehnerus2000, Sep 11, 2014
  7. Mystere Win User
    You don't have to do that... just enter an invalid email... something like L: x@x.blah and when it tries to validate it, it will say it can't, then offer to let re-enter or create a local account. You don't have to unplug the cable.

Mystere, Sep 11, 2014
  8. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

Even though I have a Live account, I cannot live with a live account tied to your user account in Windows 9.

RoasterMen, Sep 11, 2014
  9. Tony K Win User
    I’d like to know how many the members that complain about such a thing who have Google or Apple accounts to use their services. That must be a different story.

I don’t think they’ll force people to open accounts for activation. Either activate online or via phone, however, they may keep record of OS key with a machine or IP address. If it doesn’t match, then it’ll warn that the OS will shut down if there are changes of either one of the two. That includes offline machines.

If one desires to do so, I don’t think this will be performed via an Outlook (Live) account either, but rather a Microsoft account. They are two separate accounts. I’ve had both for years.

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor 5081d1485948061t-windows-9-preview-launch-year-new-activation-system-works-rumor-accounts-snip.png

In the MS account one can set up a payment method to purchase items such as apps/software/OSs or hardware from either the 8.x Store or their online store. I find it handy when purchasing items. I purchased my Lumia through them saving $100. $50 less that what AT&T was offering plus $50 of store credit.

When I purchased 7 through them, there was a link in my account along with the key to it for years. Not there any longer for it expired. If or when I upgrade to 9 and perhaps purchase the license through them, everything will be automated. What could be easier?

With an Outlook (Live) account I can log in on any machine with any OS anywhere in the world to use any one of these via a browser:

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor 5080d1485948061t-windows-9-preview-launch-year-new-activation-system-works-rumor-outlook-snip.png

Tony K, Sep 12, 2014
  10. I was not impressed when TAFE forced me to sign up to Google (as part of my Web course). *Mad

lehnerus2000, Sep 13, 2014
  11. Vladimir Win User
    I prefer my license linked to my account than locked to a specific machine, but the right of choice of others should be respected !

*Smile

Vladimir, Sep 13, 2014
  12. unifex Win User
    I don't have a problem with having an account per se. But I do have a problem with having to open accounts that are useless to me. These days almost every website wants you to register, open an account, create a password and so on. How many password can one remember? What's the point of creating an account on a site where I won't come again or will come next time in a year or two?

I do use gmail. I choose to have a web-based email and they seem to be OK. This is the service that I use. On the contrary, LiveID is the service that I do not use. What's the point of that account if I don't use it?

Finally, my PC is in my room, I may or may not use it to connect to the Internet. Somehow these days you get a feeling that a PC is simply a gateway to the Internet and that's how all those PC vendors are selling it. But for me it's not a gateway tot he Internet. It's a computer that I use to work and to actually *compute* (say, calculate integrals or something like that). Frankly, I do not need to have "accounts" on that machine, it's not open to public anyways, and nobody in my family is interested in changing my settings. But if the OS is made in such a way, that one has to have an account, then it needs to be a local account, so that I can set up my machine without connecting to the Internet.

unifex, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor

1. Windows 9 Preview to Launch This Year, New Activation System in the Works – Rumor - Similar Threads - Preview Launch Activation

2. only 1 year active win 10 ... rumors or truth?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    only 1 year active win 10 ... rumors or truth?: hello I heard the windows 7 users get only 1 year free active win 10 is that true ? I heard from more than 1 person that's why I m suspicious I have windows 7 sp1 64bit home basic do I get activation for life or 1 year? I already googled this but no clear answer...
  3. Windows 9 preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 preview: Hello Is there going to be a windows 9 public preview this fall? Thanks Tyler 1664
  4. Another Rumor about the Win 9 Preview release date

in Windows 10 News
    Another Rumor about the Win 9 Preview release date: Microsoft to Launch Windows 9 Preview in February 2015 – Rumor More: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...r-442433.shtml 1572
  5. Windows 9 Preview Could Leak After September 15 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview Could Leak After September 15 – Rumor: Information that reached the web this week has revealed that Microsoft is planning a press event in late September to introduce the new Windows 9 Preview and thus break the news on a project that’s eagerly-awaited by all company enthusiasts. Even though Redmond is very...
  6. Windows 9 Preview to Be Released for Download Later This Year

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview to Be Released for Download Later This Year: Windows 9 is most likely the hottest project currently prepared by Microsoft at this point and even though the company says absolutely nothing about it, we still have quite a lot of details about the operating system that's expected to revamp Redmond's modern platform. Now...
  7. Windows 9 rumors freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 rumors freeze corporate Windows 8 uptake: With Windows 9 rumored to be coming out early next year, there's little reason for businesses just transitioning off Windows XP to ever deploy Windows 8, experts say. With a user learning curve, hardware update, and apps compatibility all posing potential hurdles to...
  8. Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.

in Windows 10 News
    Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.: Steve Ballmer is stepping down in 12 months or less, so it’s time for the wild Microsoft-related speculation to begin! There’s already been talk on a Russian message board about the company’s plans for Windows 9 and even Windows 10. A user calling himself WZOR had a few...
  9. Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Preview: Cybercriminals Leverage Rumored Windows 9 Developer Preview Release With Social Engineering We’re seeing schemes that are taking advantage of the buzz around the upcoming developer preview release of Windows™ 9 this September. One of the threats we saw was found using...
  10. Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor: Windows 9 is Microsoft’s next big project in the OS industry, with some people close to the development plans indicating that it’s very likely to debut in early 2015. But a new report released by Russian Windows leaker WZor and coming via myce.com claims that Windows 9 is...