Windows 10: Windows 9 said to be free (again), this time by Microsoft

Discus and support Windows 9 said to be free (again), this time by Microsoft in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; We have been hearing for some time that Windows 9 could be free, and thanks to a Microsoft official in Indonesia, the rumors are looking like they will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 9 said to be free (again), this time by Microsoft

Read more...

See also: http://www.nineforums.com/windows-9-...s-8-users.html

:)

Brink, Sep 28, 2014

2. nokia x platform is going to be killed said by nokia ceo and Microsoft owner then whats the situation for nokia x users

I might say, existing products, like the X. XL, X2, etc. , will be left to live out their lives naturally. They are not being left in the desert with no food or water. They just won't be allowed to marry and have children.

While I expect many enjoy their X, I never quite understood it. I have one, yes, and also other Android devices, and I'm really a Lumia guy. The X was neither Lumia or 'Android'. It was a completely different UI, hampered somewhat by the limited store support.
    It was inexpensive, but then so were several Lumia models. I paid more for my X than for a 520. I think the x is a better device physically. I like the build and style better than the 520, but the 520 has way more potential on the OS side. The X has the 'option'
    of being rooted, custom ROM flashed, but that isn't really a plus from MS point of view. People would root/flash it to run Google Services, just as they do with other AOSP devices, not to run MS services.

So, I get why the MS Android line is on maintenance only. It will be interesting to see if any of the style components make it to the Lumia line. I'd like 520/630 software in an X/XL body.

Sven Johannsen, Sep 28, 2014
  3. nokia x platform is going to be killed said by nokia ceo and Microsoft owner then whats the situation for nokia x users

In addition, we plan to shift select Nokia X product designs to become Lumia products running Windows." Said satya nadella what does it really mean..

mannava---01, Sep 28, 2014
  4. Nuccii Win User

*Thumbs I"m all for it *Party

Nuccii, Sep 28, 2014
  5. Seems like this was going to happen either way.

What will be more interesting to see is if it's also free for Windows 7 users. I doubt xp and vista will be included, but wouldn't be surprised.

But if they did give 9 free for EVERYONE running a valid copy of Windows, methinks lighting could strike twice and 9 will outpace 7's adoption especially in the enterprise space as that's one of several reasons against upgrading.

Coke Robot, Sep 28, 2014
  6. Ryan2320 Win User
    It would interesting if they did include this for Windows 7/Vista, definitely a different approach than what Microsoft has done before. I would be surprised if they included XP because of EOL. Only two days left... *Smile

Ryan2320, Sep 28, 2014
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Not sure as to why MS would include Win 7 in the update. It is a five year OS.

8. ARC1020 Win User

It would be great if true and fingers crossed that it is true, however you sure he's not just talking about people who for example buy a new computer with Windows 8 on it shortly before Windows 9 is officially released?

Don't they usually do something like this with every release, I.E. those who bought a new computer up to say six months before the release date of the new version of Windows are eligible for a free upgrade to the new OS? I wonder whether that's all it will boil down to?

ARC1020, Sep 28, 2014
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Let's wait for the official price/cost of Win9 before we get to excited.

BunnyJ, Sep 28, 2014
  10. LittleJay Win User
    *Ditto

Kind of like, "Don't shoot until you can see the whites of their eyes." *Biggrin

LittleJay, Sep 28, 2014
  11. wakadoo Win User
    too late, I am buzzing already.

5 devices in our house with win8 on them, I just wont know where to start lol.

but of course I will test it first.

wakadoo, Sep 28, 2014
  12. Trust_No1 Win User
    So what if you have Pro with Media Center, will it be free then? or, would I have to pay for Windows 9 Pro again and then Media Center for Windows 9 again? because, I won't do it.

I suspect the only free version would be windows 9 with Bing. Is there a Windows 9 RT version?

Trust_No1, Sep 28, 2014
  13. BunnyJ New Member

We'll find out this some time soon.

BunnyJ, Sep 28, 2014
  14. labeeman Win User
    Leaker claims only some Windows 8.1 users will get free Windows 9 upgrade

More to Read

labeeman, Sep 29, 2014
  15. Interesting, that's a problem if this is true as in the article a great point was raised how Windows 8.1 uptake over 8 was quite rapid mainly because it was free.

And another point was raised that LITERALLY ALL other platforms have free OS upgrades. To only have free upgrades for those who bought a retail license is going to be crap and cause a WHOLE ton of confusion. "Why is my friend able to get Windows 9 free but I have to pay even though Windows 8.1 was already installed on my tablet?!"

If they had Windows 9 free, there would literally be very little to no barrier from stopping new OS adoption. It would push further out the Windows Store apps and theoretically make up the cost of doing so through app purchases and their cut of those. It would reduce Windows xp's marketshare, it would bring in those who skipped Windows 8 for whatever reason to a newer version.

Coke Robot, Sep 29, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 9 said to be free (again), this time by Microsoft - Similar Threads - said free again

2. hackers said their from microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hackers said their from microsoft: I had a couple of pages come up on my screen telling me to call 1-888-597-2074. the gentleman on the other end said that I've been hacked and wanted to call me back from 1-800-642-7676 and started to ask me about all my bank information. he wanted to know the 800 number for...
  3. hackers said their from microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hackers said their from microsoft: I had a couple of pages come up on my screen telling me to call 1-888-597-2074. the gentleman on the other end said that I've been hacked and wanted to call me back from 1-800-642-7676 and started to ask me about all my bank information. he wanted to know the 800 number for...
  4. Microsoft works 9

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft works 9: When I try to change font or size of print on the letter I'm typing, the letter disappears. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-works-9/42497ca4-d6eb-4a36-8370-8cc76b41d9cf
  5. 0x800f0922 again again again unable to update for 9 months

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    0x800f0922 again again again unable to update for 9 months: Are you a robot? MS? Then you wont bother. Impossible to update W10 with this dreaded "error-code" (generic no.) Could be related to .NET Could be related to "MS Reserved Partition" Could be related to absolutely anything. How am I to tell? They say "Reserved...
  6. Free upgrades are still free February 9

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgrades are still free February 9: A tale of two laptops - wife's laptop, licensed on Windows 10 Home only and spare laptop, previously licensed on both Windows 10 Home and Pro. Laptops are different manufacturers and models. Wife's laptop needed repair, so moved her hard drive to spare laptop. As expected,...
  7. How to get Windows 10 again if HD crashes free from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to get Windows 10 again if HD crashes free from Microsoft: Have a dell computer with a 500gb HD. The hard drive has win 10 installed which is the free up grade from Microsoft. The hard drive is making strange sounds. I feel the drive is going bad. I have purchased a new drive and want to put the free Microsoft win 10 on the new...
  8. Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users: Microsoft Indonesia confirms a free license for Windows 9 Windows 9 preview is almost here, as Microsoft will unveil the first public build of the upcoming operating system in just a few days, but we have already heard quite a lot of details about this product thanks to...
  9. Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to Launch Free Version of Windows 9 – Rumor: Windows 9 is Microsoft’s next big project in the OS industry, with some people close to the development plans indicating that it’s very likely to debut in early 2015. But a new report released by Russian Windows leaker WZor and coming via myce.com claims that Windows 9 is...
  10. Windows 9 Should Be Completely Free, Analyst Believes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Should Be Completely Free, Analyst Believes: Windows 9 is expected to launch in April 2015, according to some people close to the matter, but aside from a few features that could be included in the operating system, no other details have been provided until now. Pricing clearly remains one of the biggest dilemmas,...