Windows 10: Windows 9: Virtual desktops get a video tour

Discus and support Windows 9: Virtual desktops get a video tour in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; VF4Eva_4UNE A month ago, Neowin was able to exclusively reveal that virtual desktops would be coming to Windows 9 - and if there was any doubt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by z3r010, Sep 11, 2014.

1. z3r010 Win User

Windows 9: Virtual desktops get a video tour

Read more

:)

z3r010, Sep 11, 2014

2. How do I enable virtual tour pop-ups?

Have a new Toshiba laptop with Microsoft 10 and Edge. On the internet using Edge when viewing a virtual tour video, there are "pictures of a camera" in certain areas and when you click on them with your mouse they're supposed to open up a photo. I presume
    this is called a virtual tour pop-up but maybe not. Anyhow, with Edge I cannot click on the "pictures of a camera" to open the photo. I tried turning on and off the pop-up blocker but nothing changed. Is there another setting somewhere that I need to enable
    or disable? Thank you.

SteveJunoBeach, Sep 11, 2014
  3. How to enable a fake second display in Windows 10 as Windows 8.1? Not Virtual Desktop

If you use window's virtual desktop it can't render both desktops at once, only the "Active" desktop can be rendered.

The problem with that is apps that render the desktop like Team Viewer or "Virtual Desktop" (not the one built in to windows but the one for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive) to be able to display more than one screen need the video card to think that there
    is more than one physical screen attached.

Another situation is if you are using a processor that supports Intel® Quick Sync Video to transcode video you must have a monitor connected to the video output built in to the motherboard, if
    you are using a discrete graphics card you can't use the video acceleration unless you used the trick listed in the first post or have a dummy plug connected.

Using the built in virtual desktop feature just won't work for those situations.

ScottChamberlain_310, Sep 11, 2014
  4. labeeman Win User

Nothing new here OS/2 had it in Object desktop and Linux has it.

labeeman, Sep 11, 2014
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Well, at least Windows is finally getting it!
    *Biggrin

BunnyJ, Sep 11, 2014
  6. Mystere Win User
    Actually, yes... there is something new here. Windows has not had virtual desktops because there were a lot of big technical hurdles. There have been various Virtual Desktop applications for years, but they all suffer from the same problems, which is that apps tend to "take over" their display...

Most virtual desktop apps work by simply hiding apps they don't want on the current desktop. Well, any app can show itself at any time, and they can override the virtual desktop and make this a huge pain.

Sysinternals released a virtual desktop manager several years ago call Desktops that uses the built-in Windows virtual terminal interface (used with terminal services and the like) to create actual, real virtual desktops. This app too had its quirks because you couldn't move apps from one desktop to another, because Windows was not designed to use the API this way.

I'm assuming that Microsoft has finally extended the Windows Station API to allow moving apps between desktops in the same user session, which would be huge.. and make virtual desktops truly usable, stable, and reliable in Windows, which they haven't traditionally been. On top of that, this gets around a huge headache in Windows, which is known as the Desktop Heap Exhaustion problem, which is where when you run too many apps you run out of GDI and USER resources, despite having plenty of memory. Desktop Heaps are allocated on a per Window Station basis, so by having multiple desktops, that mans you can run a lot more apps without running out of resources.

So yes, this is a big deal. And it's also fundamentally different from the way that Linux or MacOS have done desktops.

Mystere, Sep 12, 2014
  7. labeeman Win User
    Lets hope so I did not like the others.

labeeman, Sep 12, 2014
  8. Windows 9: Virtual desktops get a video tour

I use VirtuaWin + KvasdoPager.
    It works almost identically to virtual desktops in (old) Ubuntu and Linux Mint MATE.
    For example, you can drag programs to different different desktops.

The only issue I've noticed is that some programs appear on every desktop (e.g. VMware Workstation and Process Explorer).
    Rainmeter also appears on every desktop (but that is a good thing).
    Everything else appears only on the desktop it was opened on.

lehnerus2000, Sep 12, 2014
  9. gzt7d8 Win User
    Well I must live under a mushroom, that feature looks pretty interesting.

Greg

gzt7d8, Sep 12, 2014
  10. Flashorn Win User
    You see, this is what I was waiting for. More tidbits falling from
    the net all the time. I am starting to relish at the thought of being
    able to experience this new OS. I haven't had that pleasure since
    Windows 7 came out. W8 had nothing I wanted or needed.

Thanks to the Admin for the opportunity to view more of W9 or Threshold.

Flashorn, Sep 12, 2014
  11. Ehhh...

But utterly whoa because the view where you hover over the Desktop thumbnails where all the open windows are aligned....

Windows 9: Virtual desktops get a video tour [​IMG]

I thought of this back in January this year when I had some damn good ideas for a new window display manager setup, this is where if you have multiple monitors and wanted to move some windows around, that's the view it would go to. Very very similar to what the virtual desktops seem to act like... Cool!

Also, more Desktop iconography was shown, YES!! No more Aero! And has anyone noticed the new window animation? It just fades down. Neat. The other thing I've noticed that I already do with every single deployment of Windows 8, size down the window border padding to as little as it can go. In 9, it seems like they did just that.

I should become a UI/UX designer. *Cool

Coke Robot, Sep 12, 2014
  12. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Sep 12, 2014
  13. Tony K Win User

Wow! Was I wrong! If this is true, not only are they keeping the desktop, but they're perfecting it. *Redface

Oh well, I'll have none but one desktop app/portal to rarely use to open very few Win32 apps. When they port Office over to Modern/Metro I'll be 95% in the Modern/Metro.

There had better be an option for a Start Screen rather then that awful Start Menu, otherwise I'm not buying it. I may install the preview to take a look, but that's about it.

Tony K, Sep 12, 2014
  14. Edwin New Member
    Odd: On the video at 0:46, when he/she tries to invoke another instance of Calculator on 'Desktop 1' they get thrown back to 'Desktop 2'!
    Not so with 'Desktops' from Sysinternals:

Windows 9: Virtual desktops get a video tour [​IMG]

Edwin, Sep 12, 2014
  15. Gornot Win User
    *WhatWhy in the world would you need 100 or more programs installed.

Gornot, Sep 12, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 9: Virtual desktops get a video tour - Similar Threads - Virtual desktops video

2. Windows Tour

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Tour: Hello,Occasionally on booting my computer, a blue window opens offering to take a "Windows Tour". Never clicked on 'Yes', I dismiss it.1. What is it ?2. How to get rid of it ?Answers will be appreciatedThanks Windows 10 1903 x64, Winver 18362.997 161379
  3. Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktops: Hi there, With the new windows update, I am unable to create new virtual desktops using keyboard shortcuts and task view, as well as being unable to switch between them. Would like a fix, please....
  4. virtual desktop

virtual desktop: hello im trying to tern off virtual desktop when i miss click the win key and tap i did try regedit to disable it and i did try Gpedit.msc i heat this virtual desktop and i need help even if u can help me deleted i will appreciated...
  5. virtual desktops

virtual desktops: I want to use a virtual desktop for some of my apps that I currently have on my main desktop. I do not know how to move the apps from the main desktop to the virtual one. Please help....
  6. Windows Virtual Desktop

Windows Virtual Desktop: Has anyone ever tried Windows Virtual Desktop? How to use it on Azure? I want some first hand experience. Please talk about personalized stuff, not info which I can get from Google. Thanks, Elisha...
  7. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I have created more than 13 000 virtual desktops (don't ask how and why, because I can), and my computer works slow. How can I close all this desktops in one click? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-desktops/6b930387-6d82-4d5b-8580-1e84356b20c1
  8. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: Right now, if I have three virtual desktops created, and I open Sticky Notes in VD 1 and then if I open Sticky Notes in VD 2, I sends me back to VD 1. This issue is very annoying and is making it very hard to used virtual desktops. Please Help!...
  9. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: When I open an App, i.e. Excel, on one Virtual Desktop and then try and open an excel doc. from file explorer on a second virtual desktop the doc opens up and switches views to the original virtual desktop making using virtual desktops frustrating and time consuming. Is...
  10. Windows 10: Virtual desktops get a new transition

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Virtual desktops get a new transition: Microsoft has pushed out an update for Windows 10 that brings the build number to 9860 and with it, there are several improvements over the last build, 9841. One such enhancement is the new transition for virtual desktops that makes it easier to know if you have switched...