Windows 10: Windows Activated without a key being entered

Discus and support Windows Activated without a key being entered in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So what's this about. I have transferred my Windows 10 Pro digital licence from my old laptop to a new laptop. This was upgraded (MS 2016 free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kevvyb, Feb 3, 2017.

1. kevvyb Win User

Windows Activated without a key being entered

So what's this about.

I have transferred my Windows 10 Pro digital licence from my old laptop to a new laptop. This was upgraded (MS 2016 free upgrade) from a purchased RETAIL copy of Win 7 Pro (I used the Windows 7 Pro key during installation).

Prior to passing the old laptop onto someone else I have formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 HOME fully expecting that it would remain inactivated until such time as the new owner bought a licence.

I chose to skip entering a licence key during installation.

Will this automatic digital licencing on the old laptop in any way compromise my transferred digital licence on the new laptop?

Thanks in advance.

:)

kevvyb, Feb 3, 2017

2. I entered a wrong product key on my activated windows 10 pc. Now it says my PC is not activated.

If your previous edition was installed and activated, it will automatically reactivate.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 3, 2017
  3. I entered a wrong product key on my activated windows 10 pc. Now it says my PC is not activated.

Whichever edition of Windows 10 you were running before (Home or Pro), you will need to reinstall that manually.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.
    You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key
    you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 3, 2017
  4. Saltgrass Win User

You gave up your Win 7 license for the old install. That system now has your Free upgrade from Win 7.

Since you cannot now do a free upgrade, the Win 7 license in no longer relevant.

Saltgrass, Feb 3, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Its a bit like simple maths:

Old laptop 1 OEM Windows 7 home (basic or premium) license + 1 retail Windows 7 Pro
    upgraded to windows 10 Pro = 2 licenses - 1 windows 10 Pro (retail by virtue of upgrade) transferred to another machine = 1 license upgraded to (OEM by virtue of upgrade) windows 10 home non-transferable, except with the original hardware

New laptop ( assumed 1 OEM Windows 10 home license ) + 1 (retail) Windows 10 Pro transferred from old laptop = 2 licenses, 1 (potentially transferable) Pro license +1 latent OEM home license (non-transferable)

Fafhrd, Feb 3, 2017
  6. kevvyb Win User
    Totally confused! Can I pass on the old laptop with the Windows 10 Home activated without fear that his will in any way compromise my win 10 pro digital licence on the new machine?

kevvyb, Feb 3, 2017
  7. kevvyb Win User
    My old laptop did not come with a win 7 OEM licence. It came with XP OEM. I bought a Win7 Pro RETAIL. Then I upgraded to Win10 Pro (free MS upgrade) which I have now transferred to the new machine.

As you say, I assume the new laptop cam with a Win10 Home OEM licence.

But that still does not explain for me why the Win10 Home activated with digital licence on the old machine which never came with an O/S that was upgradable to Win10.

kevvyb, Feb 3, 2017
  8. Windows Activated without a key being entered

Are you sure you installed Home on the old laptop? It should not have activated.

alphanumeric, Feb 3, 2017
  9. Saltgrass Win User
    How did you transfer your Digital License to the new machine? Was it done during the free upgrade period?

If the prior install does mess with your current activation status, you should be able to purchase a Win 10 license and change the License key to get it working or perhaps call Microsoft. Not sure anyone will be able to give you a definite answer.

Saltgrass, Feb 3, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The short and simple answer is yes you can, don't worry about it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 3, 2017
  11. He likely used the Activation Troubleshooter Activation Troubleshooter - Use in Windows 10 It only shows up if the system isn't activated.

alphanumeric, Feb 3, 2017
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@Saltgrass
    @Fafhrd
    @NavyLCDR
    @kevvyb

actually NOT TRUE -- yiu can still enter a valid W7 / W8 / W8.1 key AFTER W10 is installed and it will activate (the old W7/W8/W8.1 OS must be RETAIL though not OEM).

I needed a NEW W10 VM system Today (4th Feb 2017) and after installing a Brand new W10 (from the media creation tool) on a VM I entered (after boot) a key from W7 - old TechNet subscriber --kept the keys even though I've long since discarded the ISO's.

W7 key Pro worked just fine to activate new W10 Pro install.

Install the OS first --then change product key to activate - enter a valid old Key from the previous OS --even after a CLEAN install.

Not sure how long this legal "loophole" will last so I'm creating 3 or 4 W10 systems while the old keys still work !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 3, 2017
  13. Fafhrd Win User

It's no secret to some of us in your "@" list, Jimbo, that Microsoft activation servers are still behaving exactly as they did before the Anniversary Upgrade at the end of 1607. In fact it probably has been done to death here on TF, and there is a list floating around of not only retail pre-Windows 10 edition keys, but OEM-COA, free MCE upgrade and several other discrete types of product keys that will still activate a fresh windows 10 clean install.

If you have the time and the virtual or real hardware resources (and physical space) to run all these new systems on and the keys to spare, go for it.

If it's an oversight, loophole or deliberate laxity, nobody's saying

Fafhrd, Feb 3, 2017
  14. kevvyb Win User
    Yes definitely Home on old laptop - just checked, but good point.

Logged into MSA on both machines. Installed on new machine and entered Windows 7 Pro (RETAIL) licence key. Did not use the Activation trouble-shooter.

The point is that is not really what I want. Having successfully transferred my Win10Pro licence to the new machine (on the back of my upgrade from Win7Pro RETAIL), I merely want to be able to pass the machine on legitimately to someone else but with Windows 10 installed ready for activation. If I can't do that I will just uninstall it and pass it on with nothing installed.

kevvyb, Feb 3, 2017
  15. kevvyb Win User
    I'll just deactivate it....

kevvyb, Feb 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Activated without a key being entered - Similar Threads - Activated without key

2. Space is being read as enter key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Space is being read as enter key: Hello, I have found myself facing a problem where anytime I try to use my soace bar on PC it's getting read as the enter key and I'm not sure what to do, it works like that everywhere, Google, Word, system files, everywhere and I'm not sure what caused that or how to repair...
  3. Space is being read as enter key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Space is being read as enter key: Hello, I have found myself facing a problem where anytime I try to use my soace bar on PC it's getting read as the enter key and I'm not sure what to do, it works like that everywhere, Google, Word, system files, everywhere and I'm not sure what caused that or how to repair...
  4. Space is being read as enter key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How is my Windows 10 being activated without a key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is my Windows 10 being activated without a key?: I bought a laptop with activated Windows 10. Then, i uninstalled Windows 10, and installed Linux. I tried several more operating systems before i decided to return to Windows 10. When i created a bootable USB drive with Windows 10, and installed it on the laptop, the OS was...
  6. How is my Windows 10 being activated without a key?

How is my Windows 10 being activated without a key?: I bought a laptop with activated Windows 10. Then, i uninstalled Windows 10, and installed Linux. I tried several more operating systems before i decided to return to Windows 10. When i created a bootable USB drive with Windows 10, and installed it on the laptop, the OS was...
  7. How is my Windows 10 being activated without a key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Activate windows without product Key

Activate windows without product Key: How do i activate windows 10 without product key and how do I set up remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activate-windows-without-product-key/3ffe124f-658a-40b3-80a3-2a035f2b6ee4
  9. CTRL Key being triggered without the physical key being pressed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CTRL Key being triggered without the physical key being pressed: Randomly my computer will act like my CTRL button is being held down and unless I press CTRL and ESC it doesnt FIX itself sometimes this doesn't work and I have to reboot. I have tried swapping keyboards and I have all the USELESS STICKY KEY functions disable for good reason....
  10. Windows 10 activated without an key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activated without an key: Hi, I changed my hdd with ssd. Before that I had activated Windwos 8 which was upgraded to windows 10. Windows 8 I get with buying my laptop. I download windows 10 from Microsoft and installed it on my new ssd. Now my windows is activated without putting any key. Is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how does my wifi start up without a password being entered?