Windows 10: Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade

Discus and support Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have a machine that was on Windows 7. Attempted an in place upgrade to windows 10 that ended with the machine being stuck in a boot loop. Ended up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GIJones546, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade

Have a machine that was on Windows 7. Attempted an in place upgrade to windows 10 that ended with the machine being stuck in a boot loop. Ended up formatting the hard drive and just installing windows 10. Have done this many times in the past with no issue, but this machine now will not activate windows. I can confirm that the Windows 7 was activated upon trying the upgrade. Reached out to Dell support who told me I have to reinstall windows 7 and then upgrade back to 10 to get it to activate, but that seems completely backwards to me especially since I've never had this issue before.

I have tried getting the license key with wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey to no luck.

Any Ideas? Thank you.

:)

GIJones546, Feb 8, 2019

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Feb 8, 2019
  3. BUG
    bug Win User
    Ssd upgrade

What do you mean "no good"? At which step did it fail?

4. Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade

Activating Windows 10 after upgrade

Hi Varghese,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I would like to inform that as you are using an Genuine Windows 7 in your system,
    Windows 10 will automatically be activated online and create a digital entitlement for your device.

If you still face issues with Activation after upgrading to Windows 10, suggest you to activate the Operating System through phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope the information is helpful. Do get back to us for any other assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade

1. Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade - Similar Threads - Activation failed place

2. Windows 10 In place upgrade failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 In place upgrade failed: I tried doing an in-place repair upgrade of my Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 using a Version 21H1 USB media. The reason I am doing an in-place was that all my recent Windows updates since 21 April 2021 - KB5003173, KB5003637 failed to installed with error code 0x80073712....
  3. Windows 10 upgrade-in-place failed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 upgrade-in-place failed.: Windows 10 Upgrade-in-place failed.I ran the installer to do a upgrade- in-place and this is the result. Idk what to do, please help.Log files are uploaded HereThanks in advance,Sreedeep...
  4. Windows 10 in place upgrade failing to install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 in place upgrade failing to install: A few days ago I posted here asking for help to fix my curropt windows update and a user recommended me to do a in place upgrade using the windows 10 iso, so that I can keep my data and apps, I tried doing it twice but it failed both times. It gets installed alright, but...
  5. Windows 20H2 activation failed after upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 20H2 activation failed after upgrade: I have a activated version of windows and is tied to my hardware. I am have an insider version of windows and I recently updated from 1903 to 20H2 and after the update the windows is asking me to activate the version of windows. I then noticed that my product Id changed with...
  6. Failed to upgrade from 1709 with In Place/Repair Upgrade

Failed to upgrade from 1709 with In Place/Repair Upgrade: First things first, my winver is 1709 Build 16299.192 I have been stuck at updating for over 2 years, finally i was unable to upgrade my nvidia driver forces me to find a way through this. These 4 method doesnt seem to work: FIX: Windows 10 Update 1903 failed to install...
  7. Failed to Upgrade Windows with Repair Upgrade / In-Place Upgrade since 1709

Failed to Upgrade Windows with Repair Upgrade / In-Place Upgrade since 1709: This is the setuperr from C:\$WINDOWS.~BT Seems tonnes of error prevented me from updating. Any and all help is much appreciated! 2020-02-02 01:15:20, Error MOUPG CDlpActionImpl<class CDlpErrorImpl<class CDlpObjectInternalImpl<class CUnknownImpl<class...
  8. Activation failed after upgrading the motherboard.

Activation failed after upgrading the motherboard.: This is a long story. My son upgraded his motherboard to a new one. So I decided to use his motherboard for one of the older computer that has a Windows 10 Professional running on it and activated. After installing the motherboard, I tried to re-activated the license for...
  9. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...: Yesterday I attempted a Repair Install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool as per the TenForums Tutorial but for some reason it all went pear-shaped… I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool (1803) and get the following screens:- “Getting a few things ready”...
  10. Windows Activation failing after a hardware upgrade.

Windows Activation failing after a hardware upgrade.: Basically, as title describes. I recently upgraded the core of my PC (CPU / Mobo / RAM) and was informed that my windows following that upgrade was not activated. Fair enough. I am holding a Windows 10 license from the free upgrade from 7 that is currently tied to my...