Windows 10: WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco

Discus and support WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Changed motherboards on computer using windows 10 pro Windows version was previously a windows 7 forced upgrade to windows 10. Swapped motherboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JMac85, Aug 4, 2019.

1. JMac85 Win User

WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco

Changed motherboards on computer using windows 10 pro

Windows version was previously a windows 7 forced upgrade to windows 10.

Swapped motherboard and followed activation instructions via virtual assistant and called support as prompted by virtual assistant.

I've worked through all the scenarios provided by virtual assistant.

The problem I'm having is with physical phone support. They've hung up on me 3 times.

When talking with phone support. I've explained to them I do not currently have a physical copy of the original windows 7 key as I have a forced upgrade to window 10 which is a digital key.

They told me to go on my Microsoft account and delete the computer that the digital key originally attached to even though its the same computer. They said it was causing a conflict with the new motherboard and would not allow installation to complete as Microsoft saw the same KEY in two different places.

Once I did this. The support member then informed me It would NOT work and I would have to buy a NEW COPY of WINDOWS 10 PRO from the online store.

This is **** as I've already purchased Windows 7 PRO and was forced by Microsoft to upgrade to windows 10 pro via linked Microsoft account. I just want windows to activate my damn already paid for Windows 10 PRO and they are telling me I need to purchase another copy because I swapped Motherboards due to a failure.

This is not right Microsoft. Honor your forced upgrades.

:)

JMac85, Aug 4, 2019
  2. JMac85 Win User

Changed motherboards on computer using windows 10 pro

Windows version was previously a windows 7 forced upgrade to windows 10.

Swapped motherboard and followed activation instructions via virtual assistant and called support as prompted by virtual assistant.

I've worked through all the scenarios provided by virtual assistant.

The problem I'm having is with physical phone support. They've hung up on me 3 times.

When talking with phone support. I've explained to them I do not currently have a physical copy of the original windows 7 key as I have a forced upgrade to window 10 which is a digital key.

They told me to go on my Microsoft account and delete the computer that the digital key originally attached to even though its the same computer. They said it was causing a conflict with the new motherboard and would not allow installation to complete as
    Microsoft saw the same KEY in two different places.

Once I did this. The support member then informed me It would NOT work and I would have to buy a NEW COPY of WINDOWS 10 PRO from the online store.

This is **** as I've already purchased Windows 7 PRO and was forced by Microsoft to upgrade to windows 10 pro via linked Microsoft account. I just want windows to activate my damn already paid for Windows 10 PRO and they are telling me I need to purchase
    another copy because I swapped Motherboards due to a failure.

This is not right Microsoft. Honor your forced upgrades.

JMac85, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Windows 10 activation after swapping hardware

If Windows 8 was preinstalled, the qualifying W10 inherits the same.

But there are always exceptions-Microsoft says if the license isn't misused they might help you to activate windows after swapping hardware too.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Oct 1, 2019
  4. WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco

Hi,

How did you get Windows 7?

If it was preinstalled you have no rights to use it and Windows 10 free upgrade after motherboard replacement unfortunately and need to buy new license..

If you bought Windows in Microsoft Store or in local retail store, please call Microsoft support during work hours and ask a help from support person. Unfortunately you need to have Windows7product key for activation.

Please note there are no any "digital key". There is digital license but it is just activation method and is neither key not license.

Igor Leyko, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

1. WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco - Similar Threads - Activation Hardware Swap

2. Windows activation key after motherbaord swap

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows activation key after motherbaord swap: So yesterday I changed motherboards and now i have to reactivate windows, which i didnt really understand but now im stuck with that "activate windows" in the bottom right corner of my screen. I have to fill in the product key but i bought this pc 7 years ago and dont know...
  3. 2H22 fiasco

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2H22 fiasco: I tried installing the 2H22 upgrade a month ago from the preview site. Very prolonged install and after kept getting crashes requiring reboots. I finally just unstalled the update and things returned to baseline. As the final version of 2H22 is available I tried to do a clean...
  4. Windows activation after hardware swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation after hardware swap: Switched out my motherboard. Windows claims that it isn't activated anymore. My windows key is tied to my account, which happens to be the only account on the system. Troubleshoot activation says I'm not connected to the internet. Turned off firewall to no success, then...
  5. Windows activation after motherboard swap

Windows activation after motherboard swap: I called Microsoft support to help with activating windows after I changed my motherboard. I have a digital licence that I received when upgrading from Windows 7 years ago. This had survived a previous motherboard swap a few years ago with no issue. Support told me there...
  6. Windows 10 activation after hardware swap

Windows 10 activation after hardware swap: Hello, I have recently swapped out most of my pc hardware and can no longer use my activation code and I have checked on the help pages and haven't found anything that has helped. Any suggestions?...
  7. BSOD after Hardware Swap

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Hardware Swap: Hey, yesterday i swapped out my Intel I7 6700K and my Asus Hero VIII for an x570 Aorus Elite with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X. After swapping Out the Hardware i got alot of Windows Crashes during boot or while doing something. But a few times i could use everything normally. I...
  8. windows activation after board swap

windows activation after board swap: hello , I have not done anything yet but I am about to swap mainboards with my son. the two recently built systems both have windows 10 pro with digital license and are linked to our Microsoft accounts respectively. my mainboard is an asrock motherboard which I am...
  9. Windows 10 activation after swapping hardware

Windows 10 activation after swapping hardware: Hi everyone, I just upgraded my PC. New MB, CPU, HD etc. I had an activated copy Windows 10 Pro installed on my old mechanical drive. The new copy of Windows 10 Pro has the same license key, but I can't seem to activate it. When you troubleshoot and click "I've swapped...
  10. shady hardware swap

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    shady hardware swap: I recently bought a Lenovo idea pad laptop. immediately after I lost the charging cord. I took laptop to a small tech shop to get a cord. the guy plugged in 3 or 4 cords announced that my chaging port was bad and tht he would change it no charge.30 minute later he was still...