Windows 10: Windows Activation after SSD change

Discus and support Windows Activation after SSD change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I recently had a drive failure and had to reinstall windows on a different SSD, but I now realize that Windows 10 Home is not activated! It was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BlakeFeinman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Windows Activation after SSD change

Hi,

I recently had a drive failure and had to reinstall windows on a different SSD, but I now realize that Windows 10 Home is not activated! It was activated on the SSD that failed, but I do not remember the product key as I cannot access the drive.

Please Help!

Thanks in advance

:)

BlakeFeinman, Oct 28, 2020
  2. NRNP Win User

Unable to activate Windows after SSD change

I recently had my SSD replaced by my PC manufacturer (Alienware) after it failed. I have reinstalled Windows 10 onto the new SSD however Windows will not activate. So far technical support at Alienware have been unable to fix the issue and have suggested
    reaching out for help here. The motherboard has not been changed. Windows was installed via USB using the most up to date version of Windows. I have removed all other devices from my Microsoft account. Using the 'I changed my hardware' option on the Activation
    troubleshooter will not work.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

3. lewindh Win User
    New SSD activate Windows

I just upgraded my computer and purchased an SSD. I cloned my HDD and am now running Windows 10 from my new SSD. It would appear that I need to Activate Windows again now that it has been changed, but I'm unable.

I followed the guide here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

When I get to the step:

The troubleshooter will show a message that Windows can’t be activated on your device. Select I
    changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.

I'm prompted to enter a Microsoft account. No matter what I enter here I get the error. Oops something went wrong. The service isn't available.

I can't proceed past this step.

lewindh, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Horamon Win User

Windows Activation after SSD change

Can't activate Windows after reinstall 0x8007232b

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the chat as I figured out what happened:

I sometimes take my SSD out of my PC when I go to a different location and want to work on and with stuff that's installed on it. For whatever dumb reason it was decided that if you change hardware Windows tells you it needs to be activated.

Putting my SSD back in my regular PC solved it at that point, but I can't change hardware without the message appearing again. Best of all: Microsoft knows this and suggested some steps to combat it (add account > troubleshoot > changed hardware option)
    but these options aren't listed at all when you're in the state where Windows isn't activated.

ps: when you do a reinstall as I mentioned in my original post you can't change from home to pro et vice versa

Horamon, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows Activation after SSD change

1. Windows Activation after SSD change - Similar Threads - Activation SSD change

2. Can't activate windows 11 after changed SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows 11 after changed SSD.: Hello, I recently changed my main ssd so i reinstalled the windows 11, but cannot activate them. I tried to click on "I changed hardware on this device recently" and after "See other devices linked to your Microsoft Account" and I see the message: "These devices were...
  3. Can't activate windows 11 after changed SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't activate windows 11 after changed SSD.: Hello, I recently changed my main ssd so i reinstalled the windows 11, but cannot activate them. I tried to click on "I changed hardware on this device recently" and after "See other devices linked to your Microsoft Account" and I see the message: "These devices were...
  4. Can't Activate Windows Education after changing SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Activate Windows Education after changing SSD: In settings --> system --> Activate I did the following:input my product key and windows will not activate. I tried to "change" the product key to a public key is gives error 0x803fa067I tried "troubleshoot" and then selected "I changed hardware on this device recently", I...
  5. Can't Activate Windows Education after changing SSD

Can't Activate Windows Education after changing SSD: In settings --> system --> Activate I did the following:input my product key and windows will not activate. I tried to "change" the product key to a public key is gives error 0x803fa067I tried "troubleshoot" and then selected "I changed hardware on this device recently", I...
  6. Windows activation after switching SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation after switching SSD: I moved my SSD from a previous device to another device. Now I receive the error 0xC004C003.How do I activate windows ?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-activation-after-switching-ssd/16005bbe-9646-42fa-a118-71f76d4cf9a5
  7. Windows activation after switching SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation after switching SSD: I moved my SSD from a previous device to another device. Now I receive the error 0xC004C003.How do I activate windows ?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-activation-after-switching-ssd/16005bbe-9646-42fa-a118-71f76d4cf9a5
  8. Activation after SSD change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation after SSD change: Hi,I have changed my SSD and did a new install of wn11 but couldnt activate it.I tried everythig I have found on microsoft support except activate by phone...I cant find that option on my PC cant reach it even by wn+R and slui 4.I did many reinstalls in the past without any...
  9. Activation after SSD change

Activation after SSD change: Hi,I have changed my SSD and did a new install of wn11 but couldnt activate it.I tried everythig I have found on microsoft support except activate by phone...I cant find that option on my PC cant reach it even by wn+R and slui 4.I did many reinstalls in the past without any...
  10. Windows Activation after ssd change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation after ssd change: Hello everyone, I recently got a new laptop from a retailer which had genuine Windows 10 Home single language installed. So I have been thinking of getting a ssd slot installed in my c-drive which might have me re-installing the windows 10 again and so, I called my retailer...