Windows 10: Windows activation - changing hard drives

Discus and support Windows activation - changing hard drives in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I'm considering changing my boot drive, currently a standard drive for and SSD and then reinstalling Windows on it. Will that have an affect on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Andrew Sayers, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Windows activation - changing hard drives

Hi

I'm considering changing my boot drive, currently a standard drive for and SSD and then reinstalling Windows on it. Will that have an affect on Windows reactivating on my computer due to a hardware change?

My current install was from the free updates some while back.

TIA

Andy

:)

Andrew Sayers, Aug 17, 2019
  2. little cat, Aug 17, 2019
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 17, 2019
  4. $immond$ Win User

Windows activation - changing hard drives

Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows activation - changing hard drives

1. Windows activation - changing hard drives - Similar Threads - activation changing hard

2. Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive: I want to change my hard disk as it is low on storage. I am using a Windows 10 Home. Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299.I already have activated windows 10 on my new hard drive but I am not sure which version. .After changing the hard drive should I activate windows again on...
  3. Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive: I want to change my hard disk as it is low on storage. I am using a Windows 10 Home. Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299.I already have activated windows 10 on my new hard drive but I am not sure which version. .After changing the hard drive should I activate windows again on...
  4. Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Activate Windows 11 after changing hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate Windows 11 after changing hard drive: Hello all:I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 preinstalled. Recently, I had a problem with the hard drive on this laptop and took the machine to a shop, where they installed a new hard drive on my machine the former HD is still installed on the machine as an extra drive, but...
  6. Activation After Change of Hard Drive

Activation After Change of Hard Drive: I have just purchased a new SSD hard drive for my PC and have successfully created a boot DVD using the Media Creation Tool. I am about to install Windows 10 Pro to my aging Dell Vostro 430. Under "Activation" in "Settings" it states "Windows is activated with a digital...
  7. Windows activation failure due to hard drive change

Windows activation failure due to hard drive change: Hi, Recently I had to replace my Hard drive as my previous hard driveSATA got corruptedNot working. For the new Hard DriveSSD i installed the windows, but it didn't get activated with windows. My lap was pre-installed with widows. The model is ASUS F556UV. Now It isn't...
  8. Changing Hard Drive - Windows Activation Issue

Changing Hard Drive - Windows Activation Issue: Hello five months ago my HDD was corrupted so I brought it to service shop and they changed my HDD and reinstalled windows in it. What I didn't know was they installed a different windows license with the one I had in my previous HDD which will expired after 180 days. Now I...
  9. Windows Activation after hard drive change

Windows Activation after hard drive change: I've recently changed out my SSD and reinstalled Windows on the new one. Ever since I have troubles with activating Windows. When I choose the troubleshoot option, then choose "I recently changed hardware on this device" I always get the message "Unable to activate Windows We...
  10. Windows 10 activation after changing hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 activation after changing hard drive: The hard drive broke down a few months ago.This PC had a license bound to this PC. I gave the PC to the service center and they changed the hard drive. Since that moment I have been facing issues with Windows activation - the system requires that I activate the Windows 10...