Windows 10: Windows activation - changing hard drives

Discus and support Windows activation - changing hard drives in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I'm considering changing my boot drive, currently a standard drive for and SSD and then reinstalling Windows on it. Will that have an affect on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Andrew Sayers, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Windows activation - changing hard drives

Hi

I'm considering changing my boot drive, currently a standard drive for and SSD and then reinstalling Windows on it. Will that have an affect on Windows reactivating on my computer due to a hardware change?

My current install was from the free updates some while back.

TIA

Andy

:)

Andrew Sayers, Aug 17, 2019
  2. little cat, Aug 17, 2019
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 17, 2019
  4. $immond$ Win User

Windows activation - changing hard drives

Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows activation - changing hard drives

1. Windows activation - changing hard drives - Similar Threads - activation changing hard

2. Hard drive activity when windows locked ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive activity when windows locked ?: I just left my laptop and lock the windows, and i notice the hard drive indicator light on my laptop keep on and turn off when i unlock the windows, i check the task manager and nothing running its show 0% disk usage, and i check my hard drive temp is 48c. What actually...
  3. Activating windows 10 after fprmat of the hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating windows 10 after fprmat of the hard drive: my hard drive got formatted and while I try to activate windows 10 I get a message the says the key is not good ,what can I do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activating-windows-10-after-fprmat-of-the-hard/c2568cf2-fbcd-4a9f-8a39-1c5c094b51de"
  4. Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Mysterious Hard Drive Activity: I recently upgraded to a new Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. It contains 1 SSD for the system drive (about 1 third full), and 2 large capacity mechanical HDDs. I also have 2 external HDDs connected via USB. Apart from the SSD, all drives are from Western Digital. What has...
  5. changing hard drive help

in Windows 10 Support
    changing hard drive help: i have win 10 on my pc that i got and installed win 7 on. then window told me to upgrade to 10 so i did thru the internet, at that time i entered the code from my cd and sometime later that code changed, it is now not the same as on my cd. anyway i want to change the hard...
  6. Windows 10 is not activating after changing HARD DRIVE, what to do?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 is not activating after changing HARD DRIVE, what to do?: I have changed my hard drive as previous hard drive was causing errors in windows 10 and I had to do clean install over 5 times. after replacing hard drive I installed windows 10 home single language and now it is not activating. I tried hardware changed option but the...
  7. Activating Windows on a new Hard Drive Disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows on a new Hard Drive Disk: Recently, my computer stopped booting and I found out the HDD was busted. I got a new (blank) one and I'm gonna be installing win10 on it, but I'm worried about activating it. Will I have to buy it? I doubt I can find my original key (my computer came with windows on it from...
  8. Help With Activating Windows And Access To a Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help With Activating Windows And Access To a Hard Drive: Recently I had to change out stuff from my computer due to it being outdated and the motherboard not working, so I bought a new motherboard (B450 Tomahawk) and a new processor (Ryzen 2400G). I put everything back together and when I tried to start it up it would always go...
  9. hard drive change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hard drive change: im about to upgrade my hard drive in win 10 to a larger one what do i need to do if the change knocks my product key out assuming a hard drive is a major change like a motherboard...
  10. changed access to external hard drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    changed access to external hard drive: I made a mistake by changing something I should not. My system is dutch so I must translate, which is probably not always clear, sorry for that. Here is what happened: I opened filebrowser and I saw a little icon with two heads under my external hard drive. I thought that...