Windows 10: Windows Activation Error after significant Hardware change and going from 32bit to 64bit

Discus and support Windows Activation Error after significant Hardware change and going from 32bit to 64bit in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, today I upgraded my ancient PC from an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 to a Ryzen 5 2600, including changing the motherboard, and the boot drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TulkasAstaldo, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Windows Activation Error after significant Hardware change and going from 32bit to 64bit

Hi all,

today I upgraded my ancient PC from an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 to a Ryzen 5 2600, including changing the motherboard, and the boot drive.

With that change I also went from x86 to x64 architecture because the new system includes 8 GB of DDR4 RAM.

After setting everything up, the Windows activation troubleshooting agent wasn't able to transfer my Windows 10 Pro licence (which is actually linked to my Microsoft account and e-mail).

Is there any way to transfer this licence?

:)

TulkasAstaldo, Dec 6, 2018

2. 32bit to 64bit

You can run 32bit Setup from a 64bit desktop because a 32bit program can run on 64bits so a "down"grade will run.

But you cannot run 64bit Setup from a 32 bit desktop because a 64bit program cannot run on 32bits, so Bilal's reply is correct since the OP is going from 32bit to 64bit.

When, as in your case, you go from 64bits to 32bits you may find you have a Programs (x86) folder, which a 32bit version of Windows should absolutely not have. There are other anomolies. It is because the 32bit installer cannot remove certain 64bit elements
    of the old OS.

It is not a good idea to "down"grade the architecture. It is safer to do a clean install of 32bits.

You may have a confused OS. I have done this (back when 64bit Windows first released) and I have no confidence in the results.

Cbarnhorst, Dec 6, 2018
  3. Windows10 32bits to 64bits

Hello i upgraded my windows 7 32bit to windows 10 32bit and already activated. I'm trying to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 64bit but my key isn't working. Can i change the architecture or not? In a post here it says that you can change the
    architecture with this method but isn't working for me.

LeviathanS, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Windows Activation Error after significant Hardware change and going from 32bit to 64bit

Change to Windows 10 64bit from 32bit

I have updated my Windows 7 home 32bit to Windows 10.

If I were to do a clean install to a new ssd drive of the 64bit version of Windows 10 would I have any issues with activation? or will it only activate a 32bit version?

Thanks.

RobertMassie, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows Activation Error after significant Hardware change and going from 32bit to 64bit

1. Windows Activation Error after significant Hardware change and going from 32bit to 64bit - Similar Threads - Activation Error significant

2. Windows Activation after significant hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation after significant hardware change: I recently bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro and had it working on my desktop. I only used it for a few weeks and my computer had a system failure with the blue screen. After troubleshooting and trying repair/reinstall Windows to no prevail I decided it was time for an upgrade....
  3. Windows Activation after significant hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation after significant hardware change: I recently bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro and had it working on my desktop. I only used it for a few weeks and my computer had a system failure with the blue screen. After troubleshooting and trying repair/reinstall Windows to no prevail I decided it was time for an upgrade....
  4. Windows Activation after significant hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Activating Windows after significant hardware upgrade

Activating Windows after significant hardware upgrade: I am about to undertake a significant hardware upgrade: M'board, CPU, RAM, GPU Also considering a new M.2 boot drive which may/may not complicate process as I currently have windows installed to my SATA SSD Question I have is how do I ensure I can still activate and use my...
  6. Windows Deactivated after significant hardware change

Windows Deactivated after significant hardware change: I recently replaced my Motherboard, CPU, and RAM only to see that windows had deactivated. My Windows 10 Home is usually activated due to being signed in with my Microsoft account however that doesn't seem to make a difference. So i tried putting in my Windows 10 Home product...
  7. Windows does not want to activate after significant hardware change

Windows does not want to activate after significant hardware change: Ok so I just recently changed my motherboard, processor went from intel to ryzen and my graphics card. I do not have a key, because the pc came preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. Now I am stuck with the activation watermark, even tho I payed for windows. Help would be much...
  8. Changing processor from 32bit to 64bit on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing processor from 32bit to 64bit on Windows 10: I am trying to change my processor from 32bit to 64bit since I have the Windows 10 upgrade. I took advantage of the free upgrade but it didn't upgrade the processor. I have the capability for this operating system and don't know why it didn't upgrade with all the other...
  9. Windows Activation after significant hardware change

Windows Activation after significant hardware change: Hi, I've recently changed both my motherboard and cpu and am unable to re activate windows on the pc. My version of windows is linked to my microsoft account. When I go use the activation troubleshooter and select the device I'm using, it says 'Unable to activate windows.'...
  10. To change window 10 (32bit) to 64bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    To change window 10 (32bit) to 64bit: My flash drive is ready with window 10(64bit) but can not able to instal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/to-change-window-10-32bit-to-64bit/c8188dbf-6f5d-4ab1-95b0-a37f3d48b1fa