Windows 10: Windows Activation issues using same license from old PC to new PC.

Discus and support Windows Activation issues using same license from old PC to new PC. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently built a custom computer but kept a few parts from my old computer (also custom built). Mainly the PSU and Video Card. When I installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MeetMrMayhem, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Windows Activation issues using same license from old PC to new PC.

I recently built a custom computer but kept a few parts from my old computer (also custom built). Mainly the PSU and Video Card. When I installed Windows using the same USB drive I used on my old computer, I had issues with it not finding default drivers for the new hardware, mainly the ethernet drivers which prevented me from accessing the internet to get updated drivers. Long story short, I made a new Windows USB with an updated version of windows from the Microsoft website. Reinstalled Windows 10 pro but now when I try to activate, it says I don't have a valid digital license or product key.

I think the issue is I need to transfer the license from my old computer to this new one. I don't have easy access to the old computer with out tearing down this one and rebuilding the old one. Is there an easier way to transfer the license or remotely deactivate the old computer?

:)

MeetMrMayhem, Dec 2, 2019

2. Windows 10 License question - New PC and old computer still exists.

Hi Microsoft Community!

I'm in the process of assembling a new PC and am going to give the old PC to my younger brother. I want to transfer my existing license to the new computer and if possible "de-license" the old one. These are the particulars:

• My Windows 10 license was purchased on the Microsoft website and originally activated with a product key.
    • I still have this product key.
    • I have since formatted the PC and after re-installing Windows 10 the activation is now with a digital license.
    • I prefer using local accounts on my PC and thus haven't created a Microsoft account enabled user.

My question is how to best go about transferring the license? Can I just format the old PC and activate my license on the new PC with the product key? If I do that will I get a problem when my brother installs Windows on the old computer again, since it
    now has a digital license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel Door, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Activate windows 10 i already have on old PC on a new PC

i have a windows license came with my old PC, now i bought a new PC without windows license, can i use the old license to activate the windows 10 on the new PC

AmrMostafa1, Dec 2, 2019
  4. PKJ
    pkj Win User

Windows Activation issues using same license from old PC to new PC.

Transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC

I have purchased a new PC and I would like to transfer Windows license from my old PC to the new one. I am using Windows 10 (which was upgraded from Win 8.1) on my older computer and is activated with a licence linked to my Microsoft account. On my new PC, I have installed fresh copy of Win 10 using Media Creation Tool. To activate Windows on the new PC, I attempted the following, but have not deactivated Windows on the old PC (deactivation procedure described here)-

Settings > Update & Security > Activation> Troubleshoot> I changed hardware on this device recently> Logged into my connected Microsoft account > This is the device I’m using right now > Activate.

After performing the above, I am unable to activate Windows on my new PC. Please help me with the following-

1. Do I need to deactivate windows on older PC first?
    2. Does Microsoft entitle users to transfer licenses to new PC?
    3. Is there anything else which I have missed out?

If this helps- slmgr -dli gives the following

Windows Activation issues using same license from old PC to new PC. LTP2X.jpg

Thema:

Windows Activation issues using same license from old PC to new PC.

1. Windows Activation issues using same license from old PC to new PC. - Similar Threads - Activation issues using

2. Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC: I have an old PC with Retail Windows 10 upgraded from windows 8 installed and digitally linked to my Microsoft account outlook email. I assembled a new PC new device name and would like to transfer this license to this new PC. Based on the advice from the community, I login...
  3. How to activate Windows license on new PC, forgot to remove from old PC, old PC can't be...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate Windows license on new PC, forgot to remove from old PC, old PC can't be...: I own a Windows license purchased from the Microsoft Store. I didn't realize I'd need to remove it manually from my old PC before using it on my new one I assumed I could just activate it on the new one and have the old one become defunct, I'm spoiled by how dead simple and...
  4. How to activate Windows license on new PC, forgot to remove from old PC, old PC can't be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate Windows license on new PC, forgot to remove from old PC, old PC can't be...: I own a Windows license purchased from the Microsoft Store. I didn't realize I'd need to remove it manually from my old PC before using it on my new one I assumed I could just activate it on the new one and have the old one become defunct, I'm spoiled by how dead simple and...
  5. How to activate Windows license on new PC, forgot to remove from old PC, old PC can't be...

6. Old Windows license on new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Windows license on new PC: Hello everyone,I have an old PC that has Windows Enterprise activated, and I was wondering if there is any way I can use the same license code in a new PC, since I will be discarding the old one soon.Thanks in advance!...
  7. Old Windows license on new PC

Old Windows license on new PC: Hello everyone,I have an old PC that has Windows Enterprise activated, and I was wondering if there is any way I can use the same license code in a new PC, since I will be discarding the old one soon.Thanks in advance!...
  8. Old Windows license on new PC

9. Transferring Windows 10 License on the same account from old PC build to new PC

Transferring Windows 10 License on the same account from old PC build to new PC: Hi, My old PC build has a valid Windows 10 Pro license attached to my MSFT account and when I did a complete rebuild of my new PC, and attempted to activate Windows with the same MSFT account following the exception pathway, the troubleshooter returned with "We can’t find...
  10. moving windows license from old pc to new pc

moving windows license from old pc to new pc: Hi, I purchased a dell PC (not windows 10 pro), and then updated it Windows 10 pro. I queried the machine to get my activation code I uninstalled the windows license from the dell, with success, How do I upgrade my surface pro 6 (just purchased) from windows home to that...