Windows 10: Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU

Discus and support Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've tried to include screenshots but the upload keeps failingI'm having pretty much the same problem as the person who posted this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Pilmar Khin-Kari, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU

I've tried to include screenshots but the upload keeps failingI'm having pretty much the same problem as the person who posted this issue:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-win-11-after-replacing-a-faulty-mobo/c13933b4-1d98-4b0f-a8c4-5f33c16f8fedExcept, the solution that worked for them is not working for me. My product key is from Windows 7 Professional and I have used to to install Windows 7, and Windows 10 multiple times over multiple new systems throughout the years, as well as twice for Windows 11 in the last year or so. Every time without issue.I alway

:)

Pilmar Khin-Kari, Jan 9, 2023

2. Error 0xc004f025 when re-activating Windows after motherboard/CPU replacement

I have a digital license, and was unable to extract a product key because the reason I replaced my motherboard/CPU is due to the original one dying unexpectedly. When using the troubleshooter I click the link for "I changed hardware on this device recently.
    I pick the same desktop that this is and click "This is the device I'm using right now" but when I click activate it just says "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." The Learn more link where it lists various error codes doesn't include
    this one. If I log into my Microsoft account I can still see "this" computer (though it still lists the CPU I had before replacing it) on my devices list. How do I get this computer to be reassociated with my Windows license?

Scott890637, Jan 10, 2023
  3. M. Hamer Win User
    Troubleshoot activation errors in Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement or entering a Volume License key

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

We have a troubleshooter that can help with certain activation errors you might get:

1. If your PC’s manufacturer replaced your motherboard under warranty
      • Activation Error 0x803F7001
    2. If you entered a Volume License product key

Note For these errors, you will need a valid (non-Volume License) product key for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 to finish the activation.
      • 0x8007007B
      • 0xC004E016
      • 0x8007232B
      • 0xC004F074
      • 0xC004F038

Before trying the troubleshooter, make sure you are on the most current version of Windows 10. From Start, select
    Settings, then choose System, and then press
    About
    . You should see Version 1511 listed. If you don’t see it, then click
    Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update and click
    Check for updates.

Once you know you’re on version 1511, download and run the troubleshooter:
    http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg79558

If you had one of the Volume License key errors, you will be asked for a new key after the troubleshooter runs.

If you have trouble running the troubleshooter, please reply below.
    If you have another Activation issue, please post in the Download, Install and Activation folder of the Windows 10 support forum.

Redirecting

Details

Activation errors after motherboard replacement

Starting with Windows 8 and continuing with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, most PC manufactures are injecting their Windows product key into the motherboard of the PC.
    This allows the PC to activate automatically when you first boot up the PC and to re-activate if the PC is ever reset or needs a clean install.
    The product key in the motherboard is edition-specific and will only activate that edition of Windows (Home, Pro, etc.).

When the motherboard is replaced under warranty, Windows will detect a hardware change and look for the new product key that was included in the replaced motherboard.
    Sometimes the new product key is not retrieved by Windows, and you get
    Activation Error 0x803F7001
    . The troubleshooter will ask Windows to re- try retrieving the product key from the new motherboard and activated it.

Correcting the mistake of entering a Global Volume License key

The troubleshooter also corrects a second, less common issue.
    If you searched the web, you might have found and entered a Global Volume License (GVL) Key.
    GVL Keys only work for PCs in an Enterprise environment where the administrator has setup this system of licensing.
    If you mistakenly entered a GVL Key, you PC will no longer accept regular product keys, and will give the activation error 0x8007007B (or even 0xC004E016, 0x8007232B, 0xC004F074, 0xC004F038).
    This troubleshooter will identify the GVL Key and replace it with a regular retail default key.
    Your PC will not activate yet, but now will accept normal retail and OEM product keys.

M. Hamer, Jan 10, 2023
  4. Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU

Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU

(I've tried to include screenshots but the upload keeps failing)

I'm having pretty much the same problem as the person who posted this issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-win-11-after-replacing-a-faulty-mobo/c13933b4-1d98-4b0f-a8c4-5f33c16f8fed

Except, the solution that worked for them is not working for me.

My product key is from retail Windows 7 Professional (it's not an OEM licence) and I have used to to install Windows 7, and Windows 10 multiple times over multiple new systems and hardware changes throughout the years, as well as twice for Windows 11 in the last year or so. Every time I've been able to use the product key again without issue. Until now that is.

I always used Windows with Local Accounts. I did briefly have a Microsoft account to play Halo: MCC on PC (required to play the game), which I guess may have automatically associated my Windows licence to that account without my knowing. That account has long since been deleted however. It doesn't exist anymore so I don't have access to it. Would that stop a genuine product key from working anymore though?

Anyway, my motherboard developed a fault and would no longer POST on switching on the system. I replaced the motherboard and the CPU, but kept everything else in the system the same, including the Windows 11 Pro installation.

Windows 11 shows as deactivated, with the following error message and code: "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. Error code: 0xC004F211"

I then get this error:

"We weren't able to activate Windows on this device. You can activate this device by going to the Store and purchasing a genuine copy of Windows."

There is a link below the error that says: "I recently changed hardware on this device".

I click the link and it asks me to sign in to my Microsoft account, which as I mentioned above I don't have. It asks me to create one if I don't have one, so I do (the same one I'm using for this forum).

After this it tells me: "We can't find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used to reactivate the device that you're using at the moment. Make sure that you're signed in with the same Microsoft account that you linked to the Windows 10 digital licence on this device, or try again later".

When I click: "See other devices linked to your Microsoft account" link below this error message, there aren't any listed of course. This is where I started to suspect my licence has been attached to an old Microsoft account that is long gone.

Now, I've tried the solutions suggested in the other thread I linked above. I tried entering my product key again in Settings app but it tells me I don't have a valid digital licence key and I should purchase a genuine copy of Windows.

I've tried these console commands as well:

1. Open command prompt with administrator access
    2. Type the below commands:

slmgr -rearm
    slmgr -upk
    slmgr -cpky

3. Restart your computer. Once restarted open command prompt again and type the following command.

slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX >> Replace X with your 25 alpha numeric product key
    slmgr.vbs -ato >> This will activate the windows using the product key you've entered on ipk mode.

I've been through various solutions probably a dozen times at this point and nothing has worked. I tried opening a support ticket and requested a call back but nobody has been in touch.

I debated reinstalling Windows 11 entirely but if my product key is no longer being recognised now, then it probably won't when I reinstall either making it a waste of time.

I'm out of options at this point. Buying a new copy for hundreds of £'s is out of the question when I already have a genuine product key.

Pilmar Khin-Kari, Jan 10, 2023
Thema:

Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU

1. Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU - Similar Threads - Activation Product Key

2. Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation/Product Key error after replacing Motherboard and CPU: I've tried to include screenshots but the upload keeps failingI'm having pretty much the same problem as the person who posted this...
  3. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  4. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  5. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.

No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.: Split from this thread.This PC is running an activated Windows 10. I have replaced the motherboard & CPU NOT the hard disk with the activated software and system now tells me it needs activating - and no error code is produced by the system. The inability to communicate...
  7. Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

Windows Activation After motherboard replacement: Good day After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore. Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors. After troubleshooting > I changed hardware on this device I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  8. Windows activation after motherboard replacement

Windows activation after motherboard replacement: I have a legitimate Windows licence. Some days ago I had to replace a motherboard and a processor. Now my Windows is in the status "Not activated." Please help me activate my Windows...
  9. Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.: Dear Sir, Sir currently I am facing problem with my laptop.I contacted the retailer he advised me to go for new motherboard in this laptop.Since my laptop has genuine window.So I am in fear of loosing genuine window.Is there any way of preserving my genuine window.So that...
  10. Windows Activation Error After Motherboard Replacement

Windows Activation Error After Motherboard Replacement: Hi all, I replaced a motherboard recently and after powering my PC back on I was greeted with a "Windows is not Activated" message. To begin with I wasn't particularly fussed, I thought perhaps it was because I hadn't turned the PC on for quite some time after some...