Windows 10: Windows Activation

Discus and support Windows Activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The thing with OEM system builder is, you are your own tech support. Microsoft won't give you the same free support you get with full Retail. And,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Runnerbean, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Windows Activation

The thing with OEM system builder is, you are your own tech support. Microsoft won't give you the same free support you get with full Retail. And, technically, its not transferable to another device once its activated. It wasn't in the past anyway, if you followed the EULA. I'm fine with that and saved some cash. There are also lots of people that make sure they get full Retail for the extra perks.

alphanumeric, Nov 28, 2017
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

And, technically, it violates the OEM System Builder's license agreement to use it on a computer that you are keeping and using for yourself.

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2017
  3. Superfly Win User
    We are not wrong.

You may have purchased Retail media but it does not have the proper key.

OEM: DM keys are reserved for factory installed PC's.

MS may have messed up and included the wrong key.

Superfly, Nov 28, 2017
  4. Windows Activation

Yes,..it seems MS may well have messed up but one or two of you guys were on the cusp of making it look like I had purchased an OEM by mistake and not purchasing a retail version thereby giving the impression I didn't really know what I was doing.

Well MS have obviously rectified the situation by giving me a proper retail key now as is evidenced by the ShowKey screenshot with a totally different product number.

Perhaps this explains why the MS tech guy who took remote access had so much trouble trying to activate the original which failed after a clean re-install. He was on my PC for what seemed like half an hour. Like I said, in the end he went all-out and started doing the biz in Command Prompt and I was eventually good to go. He told me not worry and that from now on I'll be alright in case of future re-installs. It was only afterwards I realised he changed my activation number and that's what prompted this thread which turned out to be rather interesting.

Runnerbean, Nov 28, 2017
  5. Yes, they are supposed to be resold. I sold mine to myself for a very good price. *Wink

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Activation

1. Windows Activation - Similar Threads - Activation

2. How to activate windows 10 with digital license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate windows 10 with digital license?: I want to install linux on my HP laptop by completely removing windows 10, my laptop came with windows 10 preinstalled with digital license key. So if I want to switch back to windows 10 how do i reactivate my windows with my digital license key?...
  3. How to activate windows 10 with digital license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate windows 10 with digital license?: I want to install linux on my HP laptop by completely removing windows 10, my laptop came with windows 10 preinstalled with digital license key. So if I want to switch back to windows 10 how do i reactivate my windows with my digital license key?...
  4. How to activate windows 10 with digital license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Product key Activation for MS Office 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key Activation for MS Office 2019: My Lenovo Laptop came with Windows 10 Home Single Language 64.I didn't had to type a product key nor was I able to access MS office 2019 that came with it could be a trial pack, i never noticed.The problem is I don't have a product key to enter since mine is digitally...
  6. Product key Activation for MS Office 2019

Product key Activation for MS Office 2019: My Lenovo Laptop came with Windows 10 Home Single Language 64.I didn't had to type a product key nor was I able to access MS office 2019 that came with it could be a trial pack, i never noticed.The problem is I don't have a product key to enter since mine is digitally...
  7. Windows 11 Lost Activation and cannot Reactivate after setting up Dual-Boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Lost Activation and cannot Reactivate after setting up Dual-Boot with Ubuntu: Greetings,I have an MSI Laptop - previously it had Windows 10 on it and I've recently upgraded to Windows 11. I did a fresh install of 11 as opposed to just upgrading, but it copied my license key over from the previous installation automatically, since it's all been on the...
  8. Windows 11 Lost Activation and cannot Reactivate after setting up Dual-Boot with Ubuntu

Windows 11 Lost Activation and cannot Reactivate after setting up Dual-Boot with Ubuntu: Greetings,I have an MSI Laptop - previously it had Windows 10 on it and I've recently upgraded to Windows 11. I did a fresh install of 11 as opposed to just upgrading, but it copied my license key over from the previous installation automatically, since it's all been on the...
  9. UNABLE to activate windows and microsoft store not running

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    UNABLE to activate windows and microsoft store not running: cannot activate windows and microsoft store isnt running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-activate-windows-and-microsoft-store-not/3bfd89d4-d9f3-448b-b7e1-71e3fc62f5e1
  10. UNABLE to activate windows and microsoft store not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNABLE to activate windows and microsoft store not running: cannot activate windows and microsoft store isnt running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-activate-windows-and-microsoft-store-not/3bfd89d4-d9f3-448b-b7e1-71e3fc62f5e1