Windows 10: Windows Admin token power - malwares

Discus and support Windows Admin token power - malwares in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello,1: recently, coding a program in C#, i noticed a thing: if you open a program {System.DiagnosticS.Process.Start"PATH";} as administrator, that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Also_called_BSOD, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Windows Admin token power - malwares

Hello,1: recently, coding a program in C#, i noticed a thing: if you open a program {System.DiagnosticS.Process.Start"PATH";} as administrator, that program will be able to run other programs as administrator without user account control.Isn't this too over powered?2: There exists a key in Win registry. If you create that key, taskkill.exe won't kill anymore processes. I found that key testing a malware. Once you've created that key, when you open cmd, type taskkill /IM random.exe and run the command, you'll notice an error like: taskkill.exe wasn't found. This is very over powered. I have

:)

Also_called_BSOD, Jun 16, 2021
  2. Namslas90 Win User

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Jun 16, 2021
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Login with the One Username, but have the option to select Admin or user.

Grant,

The user account & security models are significantly different now and have been since Windows 7 [I think the major change was actually introduced with Vista].

• When an Admin user account logs in, the user account is only granted the rights [the "tokens"] of a Standard user account.
    • To grant Admin permission [to grant the Admin token] for an individual task, "Elevation UI" dialogs are used to give permission to proceed. They elevate the single approved task only.
    • Windows does not provide any means of selecting Admin / Standard tokens at login. All logins assign Standard tokens only.

The ability for an Admin user account to run as an Admin [i.e. with the Admin token] at all times was removed deliberately.

• Malware or a hacker could make use of the Admin token of a logged on Admin user [if Admin tokens were permanently assigned] to do whatever they wanted on the system without hindrance & without necessarily being noticed.
    • You could emulate having permanent Admin tokens by turning off UAC but doing so on a network-connected computer would be hazardous both to you and to other network users [unless you had done a complete malware scan after your last connection to the internet,
      to any external drives or to anything else].
    • Speaking personally in an attempt to convey the gravity of the situation, I allow temporary visitors to connect their computers to my network but I wouldn't let them anywhere near it or any of my peripherals / removable hardware if they had UAC turned off.

As you might guess, I disagree strongly with the comment that this would be a "great recommendation". The current user account & security models are major components of the overall security system that has made Windows 10 so well-defended against malware.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By the way, you can always get to a list of all the threads you are involved with in this forum by clicking on your username

GrantDaly anywhere that it appears. So you can, if you wish, just save

GrantDaly
    in your Favorites and use that as your staging post for all visits to the forum.

Denis

Tryx3, Jun 16, 2021
  4. mrpradeep Win User

Windows Admin token power - malwares

How do I import RSA Token on Windows Phone 8?

Hi,

Probably it might be helpful for those who may not be using sdtid file.

In my case, the normal process of RSA seeding (for windows desktops) was as below:

• Generating an activation code in the online portal.
    • Along with the activation code, the portal used to display the URL for importing tokens from web as https://custom.url.com/tokens
    • In the desktop RSA application, select 'import tokens from web' option
    • Paste above URL and then activation code in the specified fields to import the tokens
    However, when I installed RSA app in my windows phone (Windows-10), the app was expecting import URL in com.rsa.securid:// format. Finally it turned out that I need to enter the URL in following format:
    com.rsa.securid://ctkip?scheme=https&url=custom.url.com/tokens

Once I pasted the link in this format, it was pretty simple. App asked for activation code, which was already available with me (as per step-1 above). The import was successful.

mrpradeep, Jun 16, 2021
Thema:

Windows Admin token power - malwares

1. Windows Admin token power - malwares - Similar Threads - Admin token power

2. malware - im not the admin on my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    malware - im not the admin on my pc: firstly, i had a malware extension which set itself as my administrator, meaning i couldn't remove it. eventually I fixed it, but now my date and time is wrong. I cant change it to automatic, and i tried to run net start tzautoupdate in command prompt, but i cant since im not...
  3. malware - im not the admin on my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    malware - im not the admin on my pc: firstly, i had a malware extension which set itself as my administrator, meaning i couldn't remove it. eventually I fixed it, but now my date and time is wrong. I cant change it to automatic, and i tried to run net start tzautoupdate in command prompt, but i cant since im not...
  4. malware - im not the admin on my pc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Token usage in Power BI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Token usage in Power BI: Hello,How to find token usage of application created in Power BI. Do I need to use application_id or application name in REST API? Like here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/available-features/get-available-feature-by-name#code-try-0. What featureName will...
  6. Token usage in Power BI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Token usage in Power BI: Hello,How to find token usage of application created in Power BI. Do I need to use application_id or application name in REST API? Like here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/available-features/get-available-feature-by-name#code-try-0. What featureName will...
  7. Token usage in Power BI

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. RAT/Malware - Getting back Admin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAT/Malware - Getting back Admin: I’m trying to fix a family members computer. I suspect was exposed to a RAT, where they pose as windows employees and get access to the computer, remove you from admin and install adware etc. Can anyone identify if any of these are troublemakers on this computer? CCleaner...
  9. Log in as ssh user "admin" fails with "unable to generate user token for admin as i am not...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Log in as ssh user "admin" fails with "unable to generate user token for admin as i am not...: Open ssh server on windows 10 is configured to log on as local "Administrator" user. Logging to ssh server as user "administrator" works fine. But logging in as local "admin" user fails with "get_user_token - unable to generate user token for admin as i am not running as...
  10. Windows admin powers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows admin powers: So, I have done something wrong in the settings of my pc and now the account I'm using no longer has administrator powers, I am the only one that uses this pc and there are no other accounts I have created, I really need admin powers to do the stuff I need to do, so I'm...