Windows 10: Windows always chooses monitor connected via HDMI as primary.

Discus and support Windows always chooses monitor connected via HDMI as primary. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a laptop which has only VGA and HDMI ports, no DVI-D. I connect a Dell monitor via VGA and my TV via HDMI since I want to use the TV audio when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hairy Scot, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Windows always chooses monitor connected via HDMI as primary.

I have a laptop which has only VGA and HDMI ports, no DVI-D.
    I connect a Dell monitor via VGA and my TV via HDMI since I want to use the TV audio when playing videos.
    Despite the fact that I specify the Dell as primary display in both the Intel HD Graphics and Windows Display settings there are occasions when all of my desktop icons get moved to the TV.
    Is there any way to stop this behaviour in Windows?
    I tried DisplayFusion for a while and that seemed to prevent the issue but I no longer use that product.

:)

Hairy Scot, Aug 20, 2019

2. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Can't connect laptop to monitor via HDMI

Hi Parallax,

Thank you for your response.

We’d like to get more information regarding this issue.

1. Are you trying to connect for the first time?
    2. If not, has it worked before?

It seems that the monitor/TV which you are trying to connect does not have setting to change input mode. Kindly refer to suggestion provided by 'Sandeep
    Ghatuary
    ' dated July 1st 2011 HDMI - connect desktop computer
    to monitor

Looking forward to your response.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Windows always chooses monitor connected via HDMI as primary.

HDMI connected monitor with windows 10 loosing and regaining connection

I am running two monitors (Dell 2317H) the primary connected to my PC by DP and the secondary monitor connected by HDMI. My PC is using windows 10 and until last week has been operating fine.

In the last week my secondary monitor keeps going to black screen with the message 'No HDMI signal from your device' followed by 'Entering power saving mode'. This transfers what I am working onto the primary monitor however can reconnect to monitor 2 in
    30 seconds or longer (or not at all). This problem can repeat one after the other.

I have updated the drivers - still problem persists

Help please

FamilyBraden, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows always chooses monitor connected via HDMI as primary.

1. Windows always chooses monitor connected via HDMI as primary. - Similar Threads - always chooses monitor

2. Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback: Hi, I've been using two monitors for the past couple months with my PC, both are the same brand/model with speakers included. One is connected via display port, and the other is connected via HDMI.I've been able to change the playback back and forth between the monitors...
  3. Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback: Hi, I've been using two monitors for the past couple months with my PC, both are the same brand/model with speakers included. One is connected via display port, and the other is connected via HDMI.I've been able to change the playback back and forth between the monitors...
  4. Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Audio is not working when connecting to monitor via HDMI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio is not working when connecting to monitor via HDMI: I bought a new monitor and set it up via HDMI once I've changed the sounds to the relevant monitor output wasn't working I disabled the other drivers deleted the drivers and restarted even rollback to a previous one Still NO Luck when I check in event viewer NVIDIA AUTIO...
  6. Audio is not working when connecting to monitor via HDMI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio is not working when connecting to monitor via HDMI: I bought a new monitor and set it up via HDMI once I've changed the sounds to the relevant monitor output wasn't working I disabled the other drivers deleted the drivers and restarted even rollback to a previous one Still NO Luck when I check in event viewer NVIDIA AUTIO...
  7. Why is it that speakers of the device connected via HDMI are not always recognized?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is it that speakers of the device connected via HDMI are not always recognized?: I use my laptop to watch videos on TV, but sometimes when I connect it via HDMI it doesn't use the speakers from the TV and there's no way to select those and audio comes out of the laptop. Only way to have it working is to restart the system. Has anyone else had this and...
  8. Monitor not connecting to laptop via HDMI after windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor not connecting to laptop via HDMI after windows update: Hi! A few days ago my monitor suddenly wasn't connecting to my laptop anymore via HDMI. I had updated windows the night before and when i woke up the monitor wasn't connected anymore, it just said "no signal". The monitor itself seems to be working good, and the display as...
  9. Windows always chooses monitor connected via HDMI as primary.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows always chooses monitor connected via HDMI as primary.: I have a laptop which has only VGA and HDMI ports, no DVI-D. I connect a Dell monitor via VGA and my TV via HDMI since I want to use the TV audio when playing videos. Despite the fact that I specify the Dell as primary display in both the Intel HD Graphics and Windows Display...
  10. Can't connect laptop to monitor via HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't connect laptop to monitor via HDMI: I've been trying to connect a TV/monitor to my laptop and I've not been successful with Windows 10. I can confirm that this is not a problem with my laptop, the HDMI cable, nor the monitor as it is working without issue on the other side - Xubuntu 18.04. Looking around the...