Windows 10: Windows always opens on wrong monitor

Discus and support Windows always opens on wrong monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I use 4 monitors, 1 is the internal laptop screen, 2 & 3 are external monitors and the fourth is a smart TV. I only use 3 of these when all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dent___, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Dent___ Win User

Windows always opens on wrong monitor

Hello,

I use 4 monitors, 1 is the internal laptop screen, 2 & 3 are external monitors and the fourth is a smart TV. I only use 3 of these when all are connected, the two externals and the TV. When all are connected the laptop screen is disconnected.

Every day when I wake up I turn on the two monitors and NOT the TV.

Every time I do this I get a message that the autohidden taskbar has been displayed again. This is some Windows bug that makes all hidden taskbars visible when the TV turns itself off the night before. (I asked for support for that bug for months and no solution so I take it it's just how it is).

So I have to open the taskbar settings in order to select to autohide the taskbar again.

This is where the problem I have is.

When I click on taskbar on the monitor I am looking at and choose "Taskbar settings" it ALWAYS without exception open the Taskbar settings window on the TV that is NOT turned on and that I am NOT working on.

So I have to turn on the TV and move the Taskbar settings window to the monitor I am using, and then set taskbar to autohide. Then turn off TV again.

ALL THIS IS STARTING TO BECOME A REALLY TIRING ROUTINE TO HAVE TO DO EVERY DAY AT LEAST ONCE

Why does the Taskbar setting not open on the monitor you are actually using when you open it?

Why does the Taskbar settings open on a screen that is obviously turned off, and not on the screens that are ON????????

Is there a solution?

:)

Dent___, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Windows always opens on wrong monitor

Files on extended monitor not opening

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concerns with opening files in second monitor. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps from the below link and check if it helps:

To open a Pdf file on the second monitor

Let us know if it helps. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows always opens on wrong monitor

1. Windows always opens on wrong monitor - Similar Threads - always opens wrong

2. Sticky Notes randomly opens on wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sticky Notes randomly opens on wrong monitor: Sticky notes has some issues remembering where it was last closed, or just moved randomly. I have 4 monitors that are always on, set to extend. Sticky notes is placed on #2. I have opened and closed it several times on that monitor hoping it would remember the position....
  3. Sticky Notes randomly opens on wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sticky Notes randomly opens on wrong monitor: Sticky notes has some issues remembering where it was last closed, or just moved randomly. I have 4 monitors that are always on, set to extend. Sticky notes is placed on #2. I have opened and closed it several times on that monitor hoping it would remember the position....
  4. Excel always tries to open in the wrong virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Excel always tries to open in the wrong virtual desktop: I always keep a spreadsheet open in Desktop 2, but mostly use Desktop 1. Whenever I open a spreadsheet from Desktop 1, Excel decides to go ahead and open it in Desktop 2 (switching me over). It's annoying to have to move it back every time. Any tips? submitted by...
  5. "Open with" always open the wrong file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Open with" always open the wrong file: Hello all, I have problems with my "Open With" option in the right-click menu. It always opens the wrong file. Not the wrong program but wrong file. If I right click any files, e.g. "D:/123.c" , choose "Open With", then choose Notepad, it will always open the file...
  6. Open programs moving to wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open programs moving to wrong monitor: I have three monitors plus my home theatre plugged into my computer. When I go to work I switch off monitors one and three, the home theatre is plugged in constantly and monitor two displays my security cameras. What's annoying is that lately not sure what update this started...
  7. Windows "Time/Clock" always wrong

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows "Time/Clock" always wrong: My clock on Windows is always wrong (e.g. Shows 11 instead of 12). Set time automatically is ON, the time zone is set to a correct one, the Internet Time Setting Server is set to time.windows.com (when I click Update Now, it updates it wrong.....any guesses? submitted by...
  8. Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor

Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor: Hello, Whenever I try to open a desktop shortcut on my main monitor left, the program consistently appears on the wrong monitor right. I only have this problem if I open the shortcut from the actual desktop, but not when I open the shortcut from the Desktop folder in...
  9. Location is Always Wrong..

Location is Always Wrong..: Windows 10 is always wrong on my location by 50 miles. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-is-always-wrong/3f35c34c-27f2-407d-b01d-335bda14b354
  10. Save dialogue opening on wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save dialogue opening on wrong monitor: I have two monitors and I'm using the GIMP image editor. When I open the save dialogue, it comes up on the second monitor which is not ideal. Is this a fault in GIMP or Windows? 91298

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows open on wrong monitor

2. windows opening on wrong monitor

3. opens on the wrong monitor