Windows 10: Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion

Discus and support Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My computer has an account name that sometimes shows up as a way to log in to my computer. But I also have a Microsoft Account Name that I actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MissKathy, May 14, 2020.

1. MissKathy Win User

Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion

My computer has an account name that sometimes shows up as a way to log in to my computer. But I also have a Microsoft Account Name that I actually use to log in to my computer. I don't understand why. I can't delete the first one because it doesn't show up in my account manager. It does show up when I'm trying to access my Edge login passwords so I have to select a different way and use my Microsoft account info. Why is this happening???

Also, when I go online to log into my Microsoft account it often shows a different name and no profile picture. But if I log in with my Microsoft account it has my full name and my profile picture. I tried looking at the other one - and it still shows things like questions I've posted here. So obviously they are linked somehow but I don't know how to get rid of the extra account name the one without a profile pic. It seems like one is a "profile" and the other is an "account"? But why two names?

This is all so damn confusing to me! Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

Kathy

:)

MissKathy, May 14, 2020
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, May 14, 2020
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion :(

Zakin, May 14, 2020
  4. C0zzie Win User

How to change admin user account name?

Ah so just ignore the 'Brink' and use the 'Brink2' as the example

And step 1 and 2, I was confused at that part also.
    For example, my user account is called for e.g 'wizzle'
    If I want to change the name to 'wizzle2', and by following steps 1 and 2;
    -I sign out of my MS account (step 1)...and then sign in?

I understand the steps 3 onwards but steps 1 and 2 with the sign out/in was confusing :?

C0zzie, May 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion - Similar Threads - Microsoft Account name

2. Computer Name is confusing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Name is confusing: I'm using Windows 10 64bit ProfessionalTwo days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He was helping me with the "Remote Desktop connection. Not only did the fix not work, but I ended up with some peculiar results...
  3. Computer Name is confusing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Name is confusing: I'm using Windows 10 64bit ProfessionalTwo days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He was helping me with the "Remote Desktop connection. Not only did the fix not work, but I ended up with some peculiar results...
  4. Computer Name is confusing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account: I have some serious confusion over what is a local account vs a Windows account while working on my wife's computer. I know my Hotmail account and Windows account share the same password and as far as we can determine, hers should too. However, that doesn't seem to be true...
  6. microsoft account confusion

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    microsoft account confusion: when i got my pc my brothers friend sighed they're microsoft account on it and i didnt know that is they're a way to not lose my data on my computer i'm confused someone please help...
  7. Microsoft Account Confused Mess

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Account Confused Mess: When I attempt to download an app from the Microsoft Store it requires me to sign in with my Microsoft account. My account was originally set up with a bellsouth.net email in Outlook. I've fired AT&T who absorbed Bellsouth due to horrendous email service and I no longer use...
  8. Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion: A Account confusion: I had to re-install Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 for the third time as for various reasons my new PC had to be reset to factory settings twice. Having a MS account using my e-mail address call it here #1 at the 3rd install was not accepted. Trying #2...
  9. I'm so confused with the names of Microsoft Office

in Microsoft Office and 365
    I'm so confused with the names of Microsoft Office: Here are some names I've encountered when I am looking for deals on the internet Office Professional 2019 Office 2019 Professional Plus Office Home and Student 2019 Office Home and Business 2019 Looks like there are more names... What are their differences? In fact all...
  10. Microsoft Account Confusion

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Confusion: When I first setup my PC I used my MS account to login. The account name was an email address from cox.net. However shortly thereafter I changed to a local account. A few months ago I changed the account name to a Gmail address in anticipation of changing my internet provider...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop cox.net loc:US