Windows 10: Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond

Discus and support Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is a problem I've been having with Windows 10 since I upgraded from 7 and honestly it's making me want to reinstall 7 again. Every so often,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tupperward, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond

This is a problem I've been having with Windows 10 since I upgraded from 7 and honestly it's making me want to reinstall 7 again.

Every so often, normally after only a few minutes, any windows applications that are open, including photos, the task manager or even the task bar, will not respond to the mouse. This means that it's not only not responding to clicking, but it won't react to having the cursor hovering over it. Trying to run commands in the command prompt will also be affected. Again, it seems like it's mostly just Windows applications as Chrome is not affected. Occasionally, Steam will be affected by this and will not respond similarly.

For some time I thought that this might have to do with my failing mouse's broken clickwheel as this was posing an issue on some of the games that I was playing on the device. I do have another mouse coming finally, which should help alleviate some of the issues (if not just make me a little bit happier).

The only workaround I've discovered so far is pressing ctrl+alt+del to be presented with the menu that can bring up task manager and then cancelling out of the menu. This will restore responsiveness normally 2/3 of the time. Bringing up the task manager itself does not resolve as ctrl+shift+esc does not help with this.

I have updated all my drivers to current but the issue is still occurring. Below is a screenshot of dxdiag for my system. Does anybody have any input on this?

Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond [​IMG]

:)

Tupperward, Mar 27, 2016

2. Start menu and taskbar does not respond after the update.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• What exactly happens when you try to access the Start menu and Taskbar?

• Did you receive any error message?

• Did you install any third party security application?
    This issue may arise due to corruptions in Windows components or conflicts. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to refer to the article provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

If the issue persists, perform SFC scan and check the status of the issue.

System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Perform System File Check (SFC),
    and then check if this fixes the issue.

Press the Windows button + X
    on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear.

2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level.

3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow
    and hit enter.

4. If everything went okay and no errors were found, restart your computer and see if the issue re-occurs.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 27, 2016
  3. CodeAmour Win User
    Start menu and taskbar does not respond after the update.

Whenever i get new updates from windows, I'll have to spend atleast a day to sort broken things up. Here comes again. Mainle start is not working, taskbar is not working? I made all attempts to make it work.

Original Title:Why this trouble with windows 10 updates?

CodeAmour, Mar 27, 2016
  4. Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond

The replacement mouse arrived. It was the clickwheel.

Tupperward, Mar 28, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    That's good news! *Smile

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond

1. Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond - Similar Threads - Applications Including Taskbar

2. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  3. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  4. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Invisible applications on my start menu and taskbar

Invisible applications on my start menu and taskbar: I have 4 applications that are invisible on my start menu and taskbar. The icon or image for the application is invisible. Please help. I have restarted my pc and they have not changed. All 4 of the applications are games....
  6. My windows10 Desktop taskbar, including start, does not respond.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My windows10 Desktop taskbar, including start, does not respond.: All programs on Desktop, Edge Skype and working apps are OK but folders are unfound. Explorer.exe does not work. Software or virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows10-desktop-taskbar-including-start-does/03c51df8-4d14-4dae-afda-9ad28fd0c8e7
  7. Start Menu / Taskbar Not Responding for 10 Minutes

Start Menu / Taskbar Not Responding for 10 Minutes: Windows 10 Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.572 - this issue has occurred the past few months When booting up the computer, or reboot, or switching users 2 users in the house The Start Menu, apps on the taskbar, and action center do not respond. When right clicking on the...
  8. Start menu not responding

Start menu not responding: Whenever I open the start menu, it works for a few seconds (but can't open any applications) and stops responding and finally closes automatically. The start menu can no longer be used to open any applications. The search bar, if not opened with the start menu opened, works...
  9. Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding: I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro, up to date, on an Intel i5-6500 processor and Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 motherboard. I've only been having this problem in the last month or so, having used the Windows installation for about a year previously. The Taskbar and Start Menu...
  10. Start menu and taskbar are not responding after reverting to 10125

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and taskbar are not responding after reverting to 10125: Hi all, long story short: i updated to 10130 the other night but i had issues with networking (basically connected to limited networks or cant connect at all), so when i reverted back to 10125 (through windows recovery) i have an issue where when i click on start menu...