Windows 10: Windows applications take very long to launch from Win+X menu

Discus and support Windows applications take very long to launch from Win+X menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Like the title says, all Windows applications present on Start context menu (Win+X) have a an enormous delay to start when launched from there, some in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ksio89, Dec 26, 2020.

1. ksio89 Win User

Windows applications take very long to launch from Win+X menu

Like the title says, all Windows applications present on Start context menu (Win+X) have a an enormous delay to start when launched from there, some in the order of close to 10 seconds. However, if I launch the applications from outside Win+X menu, like from Run (cmd and taskmgr, for example) or from a shortcut (Win+I to open Settings), they open instantly as expected.

This is also happening with Windows Explorer: clicking on the taskbar icon = delay; Win+E shortcut = no delay whatsoever. Also, Explorer hangs several times when launching or when resizing the window, I don't know if both issues are related. The system is installed on a SSD and it's brand new and is healthy, so it's some issue with Windows itself. I don't use third-party shells of any kind.

Win10 build: 20H2 19042.685

edit: I fixed the delay issue after sfc /scannow, though Windows Explorer hanging issue still persists.

:)

ksio89, Dec 26, 2020
  2. ksio89 Win User

Like the title says, all Windows applications present on Start context menu (Win+X) have a an enormous delay to start when launched from there, some in the order of close to 10 seconds. However, if I launch the applications from outside Win+X menu, like from Run (cmd and taskmgr, for example) or from a shortcut (Win+I to open Settings), they open instantly as expected.

This is also happening with Windows Explorer: clicking on the taskbar icon = delay; Win+E shortcut = no delay whatsoever. Also, Explorer hangs several times when launching or when resizing the window, I don't know if both issues are related. The system is installed on a SSD and it's brand new and is healthy, so it's some issue with Windows itself. I don't use third-party shells of any kind.

Win10 build: 20H2 19042.685

edit: I fixed the delay issue after sfc /scannow, though Windows Explorer hanging issue still persists.

ksio89, Dec 26, 2020
  3. CANNOT LAUNCH FLIGHT SIM X

Hi Dewald,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the Flight Sim X is not running after the first startup closed. We will help you.

• What is the make and model of your PC?
    I suggest you to update graphics drivers
    and check if the same issue persists.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the graphics driver
      and select Update driver software.
    • Restart the System and check opening the application again.
    If the above steps do not work, then I suggest you to contact the manufacturer of the game. They would assist you better with the issue.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

1. Windows applications take very long to launch from Win+X menu - Similar Threads - applications very long

2. Applications taking long time to load in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications taking long time to load in Win 11: Hi, I have recently upgraded to Win 11 from 10, and I have noticed that most of the applications take a long time to load. For example, if I open a video file with VLC player, it takes at least 30 seconds for it to open if there are no other instances of the player open. The...
  3. Applications taking long time to load in Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications taking long time to load in Win 11: Hi, I have recently upgraded to Win 11 from 10, and I have noticed that most of the applications take a long time to load. For example, if I open a video file with VLC player, it takes at least 30 seconds for it to open if there are no other instances of the player open. The...
  4. Terminal in Win+X menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Terminal in Win+X menu: Is there a valid, not garantue vouching way to get Terminal in the Win+X menu on Windows 10? As Windows 11 seems to be a bit over the top for a Lenovo L13 Yoga I just installed W10 on it only to realize that my favourite app "Terminal" is not sitting where I had it in WIn11...
  5. Some of my Windows apps (also the settings app) started taking very long to launch and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of my Windows apps (also the settings app) started taking very long to launch and...: For the last few weeks whenever I try to open Photos, Calculator or even Settings, they take a very long time to load and they takes almost 10 seconds after I click close to actually close . Photos doesn't even load properly 95% of the time. My specs: Intel(R) Core(TM)...
  6. Windows applications take very long to launch from Win+X menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows applications take very long to launch from Win+X menu: Like the title says, all Windows applications present on Start context menu (Win+X) have a an enormous delay to start when launched from there, some in the order of close to 10 seconds. However, if I launch the applications from outside Win+X menu, like from Run (cmd and...
  7. Windows Update Taking Very Long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update Taking Very Long: Hi, just wanted to know if this is normal. I’m trying to update my laptop but it’s taking a very long time on the ‘Working on updates’ screen. It is going up but extremely slowly (currently on 10%). Just wanted to know if this is normal for some updates. I’ve had no problems...
  8. version 2004, very slow and applications take a long time to open!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    version 2004, very slow and applications take a long time to open!: I recently formatted my PC and installed the 2004 version of Windows 10. This version is very slow and heavy, applications take a long time to open. The only good thing about this version is that it has solved the blue screen problem The previous version 1903 was good, but...
  9. Windows start menu takes long to open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows start menu takes long to open: It takes really long to open and sometimes it doesn't open at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-takes-long-to-open/1d3368de-7d86-4a2b-afd2-cbbaf35f061a
  10. Searching for updates takes very long

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Searching for updates takes very long: Hi, Since today manually searching for updates takes unusually long. Is something wrong with the microsoft servers at the moment? Anyone else have that problem? Was planning to set up my laptop today but I will wait a bit if the update servers are wonky right now. 84565