Windows 10: Windows apps acting like tab key is stuck, but it's not?

Discus and support Windows apps acting like tab key is stuck, but it's not? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can't click on anything or type anything because it's as if the tab key is stuck. It's constantly flickering between selection of various buttons,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cxztiel, Jan 16, 2017.

1. cxztiel Win User

Windows apps acting like tab key is stuck, but it's not?

I can't click on anything or type anything because it's as if the tab key is stuck. It's constantly flickering between selection of various buttons, and I can't do anything. My tab key is physically fine. It only does this in default Windows apps such as Sticky Notes, Photos, and Store. Settings is fine, though, and I don't use any of the others, so idk about them.

It's the most annoying with Sticky Notes, because unlike most other Windows apps, I actually use it a lot (or at least I used to before it starting messing up). I've reset it, I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, and I've restarted my computer. So far nothing's worked.

What can I do?

:)

cxztiel, Jan 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 keyboard acting like the Windows key is stuck

Hi Morquea,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue could have occurred due to corrupt keyboard drivers .

I would suggest you to follow the below methods to fix issue.

Method 1. Try to run the hardware and device troubleshooter .
    Follow the below steps.

1. Press windows + X key then go to the Control Panel.
    2. Search for troubleshooting then click on hardware and device.

3. Under hardware and device click Configure a device.

4. Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2. Try to uninstall and install latest keyboard drivers in compatibility mode from manufacturer site and check.

Follow the below steps to install in compatibility mode.

1. Right click on driver installation file and select Troubleshoot in compatibility mode and check in the Run this program in compatibility mode.

2. Tap or click the drop down box and select the operating system, then tap or click OK.
    3. Try installing the driver and check.
    4. Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jan 16, 2017
  3. Morquea Win User
    Windows 10 keyboard acting like the Windows key is stuck

Hi

When I try to use any keyboard, may it be hardware or the virtual tactile keyboard and when I press a key like "D", the OS acted like I were using the shorcut Windows+key, like minimizing all windows or activiating the narrator

This problem is not present while on the logging screen.

Morquea, Jan 16, 2017
  4. Win10Pro Win User

If not a problem connect an external keyboard and mouse to exclude these two options.

Win10Pro, Jan 16, 2017
  5. Vegster Win User
    I have the exact same issue. I concider my self an advanced user, and have been around since late MS-DOS. I've gone throug all the "no-brainer" troubleshoots, but the problem persist. Tested several different keyboards/mice plugged directly into the mo-bo USB-ports, no change.
    Format system drive and reinstall Windows is the last resort here, it seems. Was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to go through that ordeal though.

cxztiel:
    I have Logitech mouse and kb, running Logitech Gaming Software at startup. Does this apply to you? If so, it might bring us closer to an explanation.

Edit:
    I'm stupid. My problem was caused by a Xbox controller. Never crossed my mind that it was still connected. It was laying up-side down, with the direction stick leaning to the right. Windows apps recognise input from Xbox contollers, so... *facepalm*
    I might suggest checking input devices. This includes wireless input devices sending signals to those teeny weeny dongles, e.g. unifying receivers.

Vegster, Feb 9, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    1) Try to disable Sticky Keys (look up on the internet how to do this), and see if that works.
    2) If it didn't work, try to uninstall your keyboard drivers (look up on the internet how to do this), and restart the computer (to reinstall the keyboard drivers)
    3) I hope one of those methods above is a win.

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows apps acting like tab key is stuck, but it's not? - Similar Threads - apps acting tab

2. On my laptop delete key acting like it stuck.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On my laptop delete key acting like it stuck.: Hi Team, On my laptop which is Windows 11 Pro 22HZ delete key acting like it stuck, but when I see it's not. It's deleting texts or whatever items focused on or clicked on like files, or emails in inbox it is deleting straight away. It's happening after installing updates on...
  3. On my laptop delete key acting like it stuck.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On my laptop delete key acting like it stuck.: Hi Team, On my laptop which is Windows 11 Pro 22HZ delete key acting like it stuck, but when I see it's not. It's deleting texts or whatever items focused on or clicked on like files, or emails in inbox it is deleting straight away. It's happening after installing updates on...
  4. Delete key acts like its stuck

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete key acts like its stuck: Delete key acts like its stuck but not physically. I open on-screen keyboard and it says that the delete key is not pressed. I have a HP laptop with windows 10. What should I do?...
  5. windows act like tab is stuck after using my controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows act like tab is stuck after using my controller: hi, every time i finish using my xbox controller windows act like tab is being held constantly even after i disconnect the controller i have no idea what to do. any help would be appreciated....
  6. w key acting like windows key

w key acting like windows key: I have a Laptop Keyboard and now whenever i press the w key it brings up the windows start menu when i use the on screen keyboard and when i hit "w" it shows me that im pressing the windows key how can i fix this? please reach out, i need to fix this by tonight...
  7. wINDOwS IS aCTInG LIKE THE SHIFt KEy IS StUCK But ITs NOt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    wINDOwS IS aCTInG LIKE THE SHIFt KEy IS StUCK But ITs NOt: I DOnT HAVe REdDiT ON mY PHONE BUT IM noT SURe HOW TO FiX THIS AT All ALL ACCESSIBILitY SeTTINGS ARE OFF AND tHE ONLY wAY ThiS PROBLEM GeTS fIxEd iS IF I ShUt DoWN My COMPUTeR AND START It BACK UP bUT SOMeHOw IT aLWAyS COMES BACk PLEASE HeLP submitted by /u/braysu...
  8. Tab key acting as D

Tab key acting as D: So whenever i press tab it might act either as tab or the D key which is really annoying in games where you use tab. Any way to prevent this? Also, using a swedish forged keyboard and my keyboard type is swedish...
  9. Windows 10 keyboard acting like the Windows key is stuck

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keyboard acting like the Windows key is stuck: as per https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings-winpc/windows-10-keyboard-acting-like-the-windows-key-is/dea81bf0-0421-4523-8bff-c608e6c5c0f4?auth=1...
  10. Windows 10 - Right Key Sometimes Acts Like It's Stuck?

Windows 10 - Right Key Sometimes Acts Like It's Stuck?: Hi, I'm currently experiencing a problem with Windows 10 that is affecting me when I attempt to use the taskbar and when I attempt to play games. Whenever I try to use the search or use the calendar, it acts as if the right arrow key is being held down and has a specific...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer acts like tab key is stuck

2. can log in to laptop. acting as if Tab key is stuck

3. tab key stuck windows

4. windows 10 tab key stuck,
  5. windows tab key stuck,
  6. tab key stuck as view task during gaming